• 1 Post By dekker

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 07-08-2019, 12:39 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Engine cuts out

Anyone else experience this? 2016 naked model. <2,600 miles odometer. Mods: full exhaust system, o2 eliminator, fuel injection control module. Engine cuts out, and I had to coast to a stop. It happened within 3 minutes of startup/warmup. The rest of the ride is fine (I went on an hour ride today). In fact, the rest of the ride, the engine runs strong with no hiccups at all. Am I not letting the bike warm up long enough? I let it warm up for about a minute (enough time to let the oil circulate; it's usually 70 degrees in California when I start my ride).

When the engine stopped I was going about 20 miles per hour and had just shifted into second gear. The red light on the dashboard indicating oil came on. I pulled over and checked the oil, and the oil window shows oil in there (up to middle of the circular window). Like, I said, the rest of the ride went off without a hitch.
post #2 of 9 Old 07-08-2019, 01:40 AM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Is it possible that the side stand was not all the way up when you started out? The cutoff switch could have caused the issue.
post #3 of 9 Old 07-08-2019, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
I think the earthquake triggered the 'roll-tilt' sensor and killed the bike. Magnitude 7.1 quakes can do that.

Seriously though, that's a weird problem. Bike started. Ran for a bit, then just died? Then you restarted it and it was fine for the rest of the day? First time/one-time occurence? If so, chalk it up to gremlins and don't worry about it. If it has happened before or keeps happening, something is jacked up. The side-stand sensor is a good start (per above theory.) Spray it with WD-40 and work it back and forth to get the grit and crud out of it. Can't hurt. With all your modifications, could you have left something loose or disconnected along the way? Just not sure which direction to point you next.

One thing to keep in mind, when you turn the key on and make sure the 'kill' switch is in the 'run' position, let the bike do it's "pre-start" ritual and pressurize the fuel pump. Takes all of 10 seconds, but people want to push that start button right away. Patience Grasshopper...

post #4 of 9 Old 07-08-2019, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I find my bike stalls easily when pulling away.. also notice the anti stall feature isn't working !!!
post #5 of 9 Old 07-08-2019, 03:10 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyv2 View Post
I find my bike stalls easily when pulling away.. also notice the anti stall feature isn't working !!!
what did you adjust for the anti stall to stop working..tps problem with idle from after market parts....sounds like idle to high
post #6 of 9 Old 07-08-2019, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frog4aday View Post
I think the earthquake triggered the 'roll-tilt' sensor and killed the bike. Magnitude 7.1 quakes can do that.

Seriously though, that's a weird problem. Bike started. Ran for a bit, then just died? Then you restarted it and it was fine for the rest of the day? First time/one-time occurence? If so, chalk it up to gremlins and don't worry about it. If it has happened before or keeps happening, something is jacked up. The side-stand sensor is a good start (per above theory.) Spray it with WD-40 and work it back and forth to get the grit and crud out of it. Can't hurt. With all your modifications, could you have left something loose or disconnected along the way? Just not sure which direction to point you next.

One thing to keep in mind, when you turn the key on and make sure the 'kill' switch is in the 'run' position, let the bike do it's "pre-start" ritual and pressurize the fuel pump. Takes all of 10 seconds, but people want to push that start button right away. Patience Grasshopper...

Has happened on two different rides. I'll check the side-stand. I don't think it's an electrical/connection issue related to the mods. I don't get any flickering on the dashboard or weird dashboard re-sets or check engine warning. And I always wait for the fuel system to complete pressurization before hitting the start button. The first minute of my ride is weird that way, and the remaining 59 minutes is a blast because the engine is a beast and the bike feels like a big dog straining against the leash because it saw a squirrel.
frog4aday likes this.
post #7 of 9 Old 07-08-2019, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Is it possible that the side stand was not all the way up when you started out? The cutoff switch could have caused the issue.

Thanks for the tip. I'll check that next.
post #8 of 9 Old 07-08-2019, 11:29 PM

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Anti-stall is so subtle as to be non-existent. Just drive it like a bike without, little more gas, little slower on the clutch.

2016 GSXS1000FAL6
post #9 of 9 Old 07-09-2019, 09:34 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
After market levers can cause this, check the micro switch is being activated/released.
frog4aday likes this.

Blue Naked 2015 ABS model. PCV, Nitron Ntr-1 shock, MRA screen(modified) Puig crash bungs, HEL lines and EBC-HH pads, job done. (Riding since 1959.)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page