11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 08-26-2019, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
5th gear strange sound (whistle)

Ok so this happens only in 5th gear so far as I know. Starting at 4000 RPM when I roll on the throttle I hear a high pitched like whistling sound for a second and then it fades away. After that i don't hear it anymore but if i roll off the throttle back to 4000 RPM and repeat the procedure sound is back again....Anyone else encountered something like this? Thanks
post #2 of 23 Old 08-26-2019, 08:37 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Seems like 4,000 rpm in 5th gear is pretty low revs, might be in the wrong gear
post #3 of 23 Old 08-26-2019, 09:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Zlob, I don't hear anything like that on my bike but 1) I wear earplugs, and 2) my bike is geared really tall and I ride really slow so it's not too often I visit 4K rpm or above.

post #4 of 23 Old 08-26-2019, 09:57 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
I haven't heard that, but like OldJackBob, I wear ear plugs and full-face helmet, so might be happening and I'm just not noticing. Based on gear and rpm, I wonder if it has something to do with either the airbox intake "flapper" valve or one of the exhaust valves activating/de-activating at that point. I wouldn't worry about it unless you are noticing some drivability issues, too. Sometimes you just want to 'know' what the noise is, even if it's "nothing". I get that. Hopefully someone smarter chimes in with a better answer for you.
post #5 of 23 Old 08-26-2019, 10:26 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Garage
I haven't noticed that on my bike and I (up until recently) have ridden without plugs. I saw that your bike is a new 2019. How many miles do you have on it? Could it just need a little more break-in?
post #6 of 23 Old 08-27-2019, 02:45 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I don't feel anything strange in handling or engine behaviour. So I don't worry much. Bike is new , 2 weeks old,it has 1200 km. I did the oil change at 1000 km. Break in period is still in progress. Manual says till 1600 km. I usually don't drive low RPMs but l noticed that sound during period I was getting to know the machine so i approached cautious. Moved up from FZ6 , althou I did drive my dad's CBF1000. Thanks for your answers.
post #7 of 23 Old 08-27-2019, 12:33 PM

Hopefully it's just something settling in and the sound fades and goes away with time. Break in time on a bike can be tedious. I don't think I've ever made it all the way through without letting the revs go a bit higher than 'recommended' at times, but never a full blown trip to redline either. Seems I heard the best thing was to try to not just drone down the freeway/highway/motorway at a constant speed for hours on end during break-in. Best to get out into the corners where you are going up and down the rpm range and shifting frequently to get the engine and transmission used to varied operations. Sounded good. I have no idea if it really matters or not, ha!
post #8 of 23 Old 08-27-2019, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frog4aday View Post
Best to get out into the corners where you are going up and down the rpm range and shifting frequently to get the engine and transmission used to varied operations. Sounded good. I have no idea if it really matters or not, ha!
Oh I did exactly that, and still doing. Lots of great roads for that here . Thanks for reply!
oldjackbob and frog4aday like this.
post #9 of 23 Old 09-07-2019, 06:56 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zlobnik View Post
Oh I did exactly that, and still doing. Lots of great roads for that here . Thanks for reply!
Hi, I have a same problem, in the 5th gear only at 4000 - 5000 rpm, hear some whistling from the bottom of the right side of the motorcycle. Year 2019 - 1350 km .
post #10 of 23 Old 09-07-2019, 03:47 PM

Now I'm really curious for someone to figure out what is causing this. Position of the exhaust valve in this gear (5th) at this rpm (4K to 5K)? That's the best guess I have. Does the whistling go away if you pull in the clutch? Just trying to figure out if it is simply air passing over something causing a 'whistle' or if it is dependent on engine RPM and gear selected (which would be something mechanical with the bike.)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page