9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 09-01-2019, 03:32 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Delayed downshift from gearbox

Hi can anyone shed some light on this one? My bike has covered 3000 km since new and seems to have developed a weird habit of not shifting down immediately from 3rd to 2nd. This is perhaps not the correct way to describe the feeling I'm getting from the gearbox but it's difficult to explain. The bike shifts gear fine and never misses a shift, gear changes are smooth enough, it's just that when down shifting (especially it seems from 3rd to 2nd) after having made the down shift I can feel a delayed click as the gearbox selects the gear a fraction later. It only seems to do it on down shifts not up. I thought perhaps this was all in my head and so let my son ride it (he rides a 2019 MT10 Yamaha) and after a ride of 10 mins or so he confirmed he felt the same. I don't think the bike had this '' problem'' straight out of the box and the only work I've carried out is to replace the levers (Puig folding adjustable) and an oil change (Motul 10w 40 semi synth) both at around 1000 km. which I think is when it started. I've adjusted the free play in the clutch cable following the manual (at the lever end) any chance it could be the oil? Should I switch to full synth and see if this makes a difference?
any suggestions most appreciated
post #2 of 25 Old 09-01-2019, 02:56 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
sounds like a good old fashion blip is in order
post #3 of 25 Old 09-01-2019, 06:51 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAVEITSTOCK View Post
sounds like a good old fashion blip is in order
good point Leave It. ..
When you pull in the clutch to downshift, give a strong rev “blip” on the throttle then let out the clutch immediately, all done in one very quick smooth sequence.

Possibly you have a tranny problem, but need to rule out down shifting technique first.

post #4 of 25 Old 09-01-2019, 09:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapido1 View Post
good point Leave It. ..

When you pull in the clutch to downshift, give a strong rev “blip” on the throttle then let out the clutch immediately, all done in one very quick smooth sequence.

Possibly you have a tranny problem, but need to rule out down shifting technique first.
I don't know if it's because I hadn't ridden a bike in so long prior to getting my S1K and all my skills have gone to ****, but I'm finding that the rare time I get a smooth blipping downshift, it's usually when I barely blip. Otherwise, there's usually a considerable jolt. On my GSXR600, which didn't have a slipper clutch, I had to blip much harder to have it feel smooth. Maybe I'm not downshifting during the correct rev range or I'm releasing the clutch too early while I'm still a little on the gas?

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 25 Old 09-01-2019, 10:46 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxsdave View Post
I don't know if it's because I hadn't ridden a bike in so long prior to getting my S1K and all my skills have gone to ****, but I'm finding that the rare time I get a smooth blipping downshift, it's usually when I barely blip. Otherwise, there's usually a considerable jolt. On my GSXR600, which didn't have a slipper clutch, I had to blip much harder to have it feel smooth. Maybe I'm not downshifting during the correct rev range or I'm releasing the clutch too early while I'm still a little on the gas?

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
You don't have to blip much for the S1000 because the gearing is pretty close. You just want to get it to rev match the next lower gear that your going into, probably around 1K difference in general so for smoothest shifts, I just blip a little above that and let the revs settle a little as I down shift.
LEAVEITSTOCK likes this.
post #6 of 25 Old 09-02-2019, 03:21 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the tip, going to adopt this technique next time I´m out on it, my last 3 bikes were slow revving muscle bikes with hydraulic
clutches, perhaps I just got into the habit of being to gentle and lazy with my shifts.
post #7 of 25 Old 09-02-2019, 05:18 AM

Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Hi Yamato,
Motorcycles use a 'constant mesh' gearbox. You are always in a gear. The different gear drive shafts are coupled by sliding dog clutches. They are always in synchronism or should be due to the design.
This sliding dog clutch engaging is the click sound you hear. The blipping is not to get the gears positioned correctly, it is to match road speed to engine speed via the transmission.

Your not the first person here to report having an issue after using Motul semi synthetic motorcycle oil at the first service time. The posts are on this Forum somewhere.
Changing oil brand and type as I remember it was their eventual cure.
Personally, I use a base mineral oil till the second or 3rd service (reaching that 3rd one is extremely rare for me).

Rob.
post #8 of 25 Old 09-02-2019, 11:39 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
I'm always suspicious when you develop problems after a lever change. Put the stock clutch lever back on and see if anything changes.
LEAVEITSTOCK and frog4aday like this.

2016 GSXS1000F
2007 Honda VTX 1800F3
post #9 of 25 Old 09-03-2019, 06:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Ah, I'm not alone! I also feel this delay. I too thought it was in my head. Not sure on which gear and if only on downshift. I'll pay attention.

In any case, I have been using mineral 10w40 from Suzuki until 18k (km). No modification at all. Well blinkers and windshield to say it all. :P So, cannot be more stock than this.

Now I'm using fully synthetic 10w40 and I removed the slip on completely.

Both setup felt the delayed shifts to me. I used to do quarter mile (cars) so quick shift is just in my DNA now. Delay is easily noticeable. I don't like this at all. I have not done any search, but I think it may be by design unfortunately.

Fortunately I don't have many complaints about the bike. Just that and the cheap paint.
post #10 of 25 Old 09-03-2019, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Cheap paint ?
I hear that the EU banned a additive necessary to fully harden clear coat on automotive paints (pollution/dangerous to health, whatever).
There is no alternative for this product.

Rob.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page