On/off throttle clicking sound @ low speed - Page 4 - Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum
User Tag List

23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 39 Old 09-11-2019, 08:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I get a noise from the handlebar area when applying the front brakes hard enough for the nose of my bike to dive down, and the same noise when it comes back up. Pretty sure the steering head bearings need an adjustment.
post #32 of 39 Old 09-11-2019, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I just got back from another test ride session, I do think as some have suggested, the issue is chain/sprocket related as far as where the clicking is coming from.

When I got home I put the bike in 1st gear ( motor off ) and rolled it fore and aft, and the click from the slack being taken up sounds much like the click I'm describing while bike is being ridden slowly.

I did the same motor off 1st gear roll with my other two bikes, a B king and a Gsxr, and the sound from the slack being taken up back and forth is more muted than the more metallic sound from the Gsxs.

Keep in mind the gsxs has a well adjusted chain with 700 miles now on the bike. I don't see anything wrong with the tolerances.

Why the Gsxs has a more pronounced and more metal on metal sound beats me, but its very noticable as I go around cor ners and other on/off throttle situations during normal riding.

Last edited by moleeye; 09-11-2019 at 10:17 PM.
post #33 of 39 Old 09-11-2019, 10:23 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by moleeye View Post
I just got back from another test ride session, I do think as some have suggested, the issue is chain/sprocket related as far as where the clicking is coming from.

When I got home I put the bike in 1st gear ( motor off ) and rolled it fore and aft, and the click from the slack being taken up sounds much like the click I'm describing while bike is being ridden slowly.

I did the same motor off 1st gear roll with my other two bikes, a B king and a Gsxr, and the sound from the slack being taken up back and forth is more muted than the more metallic sound from the Gsxs.

Keep in mind the gsxs has a well adjusted chain with 700 miles now on the bike. I don't see anything wrong with the tolerances.

Why the Gsxs has a more pronounced and more metal on metal sound beats me, but its very noticable as I go around cor ners during normal riding.
When you say well adjusted chain, have you checked alignment carefully? I use a

(it's expensive, but really works and I recommend it). You can't trust the hash marks on the swingarm.

post #34 of 39 Old 09-11-2019, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike d View Post
When you say well adjusted chain, have you checked alignment carefully? I use a Profi Cat Laser tool (it's expensive, but really works and I recommend it). You can't trust the hash marks on the swingarm.
You think chain misalignment could make enough of a difference to cause the click? Wouldn't it show up on the wear or lube marks on the rear sprocket? Another factor is I have had 2 of these early manufactered 2018 bikes, both have the problem, I wonder if somethings defecto around this build date ( 11/17 ) ?
post #35 of 39 Old 09-11-2019, 11:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris828 View Post
I get a noise from the handlebar area when applying the front brakes hard enough for the nose of my bike to dive down, and the same noise when it comes back up. Pretty sure the steering head bearings need an adjustment.
I have the same issue, I also think the head bearings need adjustment. I do NOT do wheelies. Never did and at 57 not gonna start now. Will need to get that scheduled as I believe loose bearings will wear faster.
post #36 of 39 Old 09-11-2019, 11:56 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by moleeye View Post
You think chain misalignment could make enough of a difference to cause the click? Wouldn't it show up on the wear or lube marks on the rear sprocket? Another factor is I have had 2 of these early manufactered 2018 bikes, both have the problem, I wonder if somethings defecto around this build date ( 11/17 ) ?
You would definitely get clicks before wear, but it would wear earlier too. I doubt it would affect lube marks on the rear sprocket. If you haven't checked you should (at least with a

tool).
moleeye likes this.
post #37 of 39 Old 09-12-2019, 12:30 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I'll get that tool, I've been meaning to anyway.
post #38 of 39 Old 09-12-2019, 06:25 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Garage
I would be interested to hear from those who have used an alignment tool like the Motion Pro what the alignment of the two wheels is like? That is if they have checked it.

Blue Naked 2015 ABS model. PCV, Nitron Ntr-1 shock, MRA screen(modified) Puig crash bungs, HEL lines and EBC-HH pads, job done. (Riding since 1959.)
post #39 of 39 Old 09-12-2019, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharger View Post
I have the same issue, I also think the head bearings need adjustment. I do NOT do wheelies. Never did and at 57 not gonna start now. Will need to get that scheduled as I believe loose bearings will wear faster.
In my case I am one to to get the front off the ground from time to time. The m4 system and the tuning I've been doing makes it pretty much inevitable when you twist the throttle hard. Loose bearings will cause accelerated wear just like tight bearings will, just need to adjust them to that happy medium where there is no play and only minimal drag.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page