GSXS 1000 Forum banner

On/off throttle clicking sound @ low speed

14K views 49 replies 18 participants last post by  Slower and Slower 
#1 · (Edited)
Both my 2018 gsxs 1000 bikes give off a very noticeable " click " sound on/off the throttle with clutch engaged @ mostly lower gears and lower speeds. I can demonstrate it very consistantly by going on and off throttle in 2nd gear @ low speed. I could play a castinet solo doing this.. I also hear it often during normal riding, always on or off throttle with clutch engaged.
It was one of the reasons I traded off my first gsxs, and I wasn't real pleased to find out the new one does the same thing.

Anybody else getting this? I wonder if it has anything to do with the 2018 slipper clutch, but I haven't noticed it with other slipper clutched bikes I have owned, at least not to this degree..

#2 ·
I get driveline shudder in the same conditions but it's more clunk than click. Can you tell where the sound is coming from? I'm guessing the throttle grip from your post but am not 100% sure that's what you mean.

#3 · (Edited)
Same clunk/click/clong/bang whatsoever sound here.
It seems to me there is something like a 1 second delay at gearbox level when clutch engages in 2nd and 3rd gear.
Mine is a 2016 made.

I assume/hope it's related with the quality of engine oil (Motul 5100 in at this moment).
Next spring I will change to Motul 7100 to see if there will be any difference.

Let's be honest!
Is just another Suzuki low budget and high hopes bike.

#4 ·
My sound seems much like Kassu describes as at gearbox level, or maybe engaged clutch level . It seems like it would be related to the slack you see when your bike is on a rearstand , in gear and you see the slack when you roll the rear wheel for and aft. Trouble with this observational theory is that the gsxs has the same amount of play as my other bikes, and the other bikes don't make the click. Weird.

I will say a K5 gsxr I was test riding a year ago did the same thing and I didn't buy it.

Ironic the gsxs I bought new a month later made the same noise brand new.

Also will say my 2018 gixxer does not make this sound at all.

#5 ·
I thought my sound was from a loose chain and in fact the chain was loose but I'm pretty sure I still have the clunk after tightening it … I think it's just normal driveline shudder but it sounds like your 2018 gixxer is "tighter" in that regard.

Reactions: moleeye
#6 ·
One more thing: that sound is difficult to hear since the weather get a little bit colder here.
When it was hot like ****, I heard that sound every time I change gears.
Last two rides were very quiet in this regard.

That makes me think it can be a related with the driveline shudder (as Lou said) and/or with the decreasing of oil thickness when riding in warmer summer days.

#8 ·
It's not like a neutral to first gear clunk, it's a crisp " click " sound, sounds like its taking up slack or something clicking into place.

I can intentionally cause it by :

Putting bike in 2nd gear, clutch engaged as normal
Cruising along in 2nd slowly, maybe 25 mph, let off on throttle [ click ]
Roll on throttle [ click ]
Let off throttle [ click ]
Roll on throttle [ click ]
And so on ...

I'm gonna see if it will happen with the bike on rearstand and in gear, I'm not able to video it while on the road..

#11 ·
Don't think so because it's a new bike and my other one did the same thing from new

I did try putting it up on the rear stand today, but with the weight off the chain I couldn't tell much due to chain noise in the on/off throttle maneuver.:(

I'm surprised more people aren't saying yeah, me too! Maybe my extraordinary luck kicking in..

#14 ·
I'm pretty sure I can replicate the sounds you're talking about too. I think it's just chattering from the gearbox or chain. 20k miles and nothing has blown up. You ever hear the joke where the guy goes to his doctor, says "doctor it hurts when I do this"... Doctor says ,"don't do that". Anyway you're probably just hearing the noise of a machine.

#19 ·
This thread reminds me of a story told about a Rolls Royce upper management meeting after the automotive journal reviews had been released on the then-new Silver Cloud.

The meeting director noted with an understated degree of satisfaction that one review mentioned that at 60 mph the loudest noise in the cabin comes from the electric clock.

The Chief Engineer who was in the meeting, meekly voiced "I've been meaning to fix that clock!"

:)

#32 · (Edited)
I just got back from another test ride session, I do think as some have suggested, the issue is chain/sprocket related as far as where the clicking is coming from.

When I got home I put the bike in 1st gear ( motor off ) and rolled it fore and aft, and the click from the slack being taken up sounds much like the click I'm describing while bike is being ridden slowly.

I did the same motor off 1st gear roll with my other two bikes, a B king and a Gsxr, and the sound from the slack being taken up back and forth is more muted than the more metallic sound from the Gsxs.

Keep in mind the gsxs has a well adjusted chain with 700 miles now on the bike. I don't see anything wrong with the tolerances.

Why the Gsxs has a more pronounced and more metal on metal sound beats me, but its very noticable as I go around cor ners and other on/off throttle situations during normal riding. :(

#33 ·
I just got back from another test ride session, I do think as some have suggested, the issue is chain/sprocket related as far as where the clicking is coming from.

When I got home I put the bike in 1st gear ( motor off ) and rolled it fore and aft, and the click from the slack being taken up sounds much like the click I'm describing while bike is being ridden slowly.

I did the same motor off 1st gear roll with my other two bikes, a B king and a Gsxr, and the sound from the slack being taken up back and forth is more muted than the more metallic sound from the Gsxs.

Keep in mind the gsxs has a well adjusted chain with 700 miles now on the bike. I don't see anything wrong with the tolerances.

Why the Gsxs has a more pronounced and more metal on metal sound beats me, but its very noticable as I go around cor ners during normal riding. :(
When you say well adjusted chain, have you checked alignment carefully? I use a Profi Cat Laser tool (it's expensive, but really works and I recommend it). You can't trust the hash marks on the swingarm.

#45 ·
I got the Motion Pro/Stockton one that attaches to the rear sprocket with the rod. We have to remove our chainguards to use it. First use was the day after doing my usual alignment with a measure from axle block ends and swingarm. It revealed a slight misalignment and the difference in sound and performance was immediately noticable.
Hi I'm experiencing the same problem I can coast along in second gear with the clutch engaged and blip the throttle which causes the chain to snatch.Surely this shouldn't happen with the clutch engaged.my dealer is having it back this week under warranty.did you ever find a solution to the problem.also its very cluncky on and off the throttle in 1st and 2nd
Sounds like a clutch rod adjustment is in order. For the record our service manual stats to completely turn in the lever adjuster, modify the barrel adjuster under the tank until proper slack is achieved, and then adjust the clutch rod. Hand turn until resistance is felt and then back it out half a turn. Tighten it up, turn in the undertank adjuster completely, and then reset the slack to spec with the lever adjuster.
I’ve just bought a new old stock 2018 gsx-s1000f. I have/still have the exact clicking you describe. It was very noticeable when I first rode it. Since putting 600 miles on it, lubing and tightening up the chain to the tight side of the factory recommended slack, 80% of the noise has gone. I believe the clicking was exacerbated by the harsh stock suspension, and the slack in the throttle, which adjustment smoothed out.

The bike has grown on me, but quite frankly unless you can get this bike at a discounted price as I did, I really don’t think that it’s such a great deal, as the fueling sucks and the rear shock is crap. However, it has great potential and I don’t have a problem with buying a decent shock for it. Then I’m sure it will be an excellent bike.
Running the chain and throttle relatively tight seems to help the most. Regular maintenance is a given. Yet to do anything with the rear shock but it does seem like the harsh action from it affects everything.
I agree about the value of this bike. It's hard to justify the MSRP but thankfully there's plenty of lightly used or new old stock at a reasonable price.

I will be switching over to a Vortex -1 +2 520 conversion kit this weekend and will gladly update everyone on the differences then

#40 ·
Hi I'm experiencing the same problem I can coast along in second gear with the clutch engaged and blip the throttle which causes the chain to snatch.Surely this shouldn't happen with the clutch engaged.my dealer is having it back this week under warranty.did you ever find a solution to the problem.also its very cluncky on and off the throttle in 1st and 2nd

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.