8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 10-08-2019, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Fuel pump

Well after chasing the ECUs and tunes half my bikes ownership. During all that I suspected I had a fuel delivery issue which was sporatic and hard to pinpoint. I concluded this past weekend it was the fuel pump. Spit and sputtering when on the gas hard with 2 bars showing of fuel gauge it would do it not always but enough to piss you off. Fill it up boom problem gone. So I pulled the pump yesterday and the tea bag filter boot is black. Looked a lot worse than my Concurs 14 which had the same issue a year ago. I believe this eventually damages the pumps ability to operate correctly.

So I did the same thing I had to do on the kawasaki ordered a new pump, regulator, orings and filter assembly from Quantum Highflow. They pretty much cannot be beat with their pricing and lifetime warranty offer. Pump assembly is fairly easy to take apart. You cannot just buy the pump from Suzuki, no they make you buy the whole assembly to get the pump. But you can buy every little part in the assembly individually. Stupid way to do business. OEM pump assembly is $375 from bike bandit. No way I went with the Highflow kit for $80 bucks and it works just as good if not better than the oem stuff. The Kawasaki C14 had the same pump in it as the Suzuki pump is. Made by Mitsubishi. Same pump and everything. Base plate was a little different is all. BTW that Kaw C14 is still running fine year later with the Highflow assembly.

I probably will have this all back together this coming weekend. Inside of tank looked like new so crappy gas is the problem and a bike that sits a lot. I typically only buy non ethanol gas but I guess all gas is crap now days.

2016 GSX-S1000
post #2 of 12 Old 10-08-2019, 08:01 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Wow Roy! My hat is off to you for being such a dedicated bike owner, as you have definitely been through your fair share of "trials and tribulations" getting your GSXS dialed in! Can't recall ever reading here a problem with fuel pump issues, but good info if someone here needs separate Fuel Pump parts.

Crazy to hear that the fuel in your area is so bad it left black gunk on the filter screen to to the point of needing to rebuild the fuel pump. Wow. Hopefully you get it sorted and are back on the road soon!
post #3 of 12 Old 10-08-2019, 09:01 PM

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
I did a quick google on this black stuff and it seem's quite a bit too common in USA cars and boat tanks.
One comment was it was worse since lower sulphur gasoline fuel was mandated.
Our Aussie petrol is quite high in sulphur, and whether that is helpful I don't know as filter gauze block up with a yellow slime in my motor mower over time.
Not as bad as 15 years ago when the exhaust stunk with rotten egg gas smell, the sulphur was through the roof.
I thought the black slime was only a diesel problem with the moisture from the air allowing a fungus growth at the bottom of the tank.
Does the 'winter' treatment additives has any bearing on this black stuff ?

Rob.

post #4 of 12 Old 10-08-2019, 10:26 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slower and Slower View Post
Does the 'winter' treatment additives has any bearing on this black stuff ?
Rob.
Great question Rob. I've been using Sta-Bil, and actually Sta-Bil 360 for the last couple years when the weather gets cold and I have to consider that the bike might not get ridden for a few weeks, or a few months (very unpredictable). The bike doesn't seem to mind having the additives, and if they are actually helping (which Stabil 360 claims) I'll just do it all the time.
post #5 of 12 Old 10-09-2019, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
The GSX didn't get used the first two years very often. It only has a little over 9k miles on it and 3k of that was logged this year. I never let it sit with a half empty tank always full. It was in a climate controlled shop for the first 2 years and in a 3rd bay garage now which is pretty good at keeping the climate stable in it. I suspect the non ethanol station I lived near for the issue I suspected it had run down tanks all along. I moved away from that area 18 months ago. Where I live now is by a large lake that has plenty of non ethanol stations due to the boat traffic in the area. I have experienced problems with local diesel stations. I drive a 2500 HD GMC diesel as my daily driver and it is ridiculous how bad some of the fuel quality now days can be.

I have no way to pressure test the actual pump and the pump may in fact be fine. The tea bag filter though is toast and you can buy a pack of 3 from Highflow for $15 plus a little shipping. I'll hang on to the oem pump. I could not test the Kaw C14 pump either but once changed I never had trouble with the pump again. No point taking it to a local Suzuki dealer they're completely clueless. Tracking info says pump kit will be here tomorrow thursday.
Triz-man likes this.

2016 GSX-S1000

Last edited by roy826; 10-09-2019 at 08:38 AM.
post #6 of 12 Old 10-11-2019, 07:34 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Installed the pump assembly yesterday afternoon. Kit was complete with the big tank to pump oring but I used a new oem oring I already had on hand for a GSXR-1000 I raced years ago and it is the same oring for the GSX. Installed all new orings in the pump housing, new regulator, new tea bag filter and the pump itself. Took maybe 30 minutes to do. Bike is back together and it fired right up. New pump is much quieter than old pump on prime up. Took the bike down the road and all seems well but the tell tale sign is when it gets to 2 bars on the fuel gauge and a heavy throttle applied will tell the story. I could have only put back in a gallon of gas and tested that but I wanted to test the function of the fuel gauge since I had to remove that from the pump housing during the procedure.

2016 GSX-S1000
post #7 of 12 Old 10-11-2019, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roy826 View Post
I could have only put back in a gallon of gas and tested that but I wanted to test the function of the fuel gauge since I had to remove that from the pump housing during the procedure.
Why donít you siphon some out to test it?

post #8 of 12 Old 10-11-2019, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twag4 View Post
Why donít you siphon some out to test it?
I could but the GSX tank shape makes that really difficult to do easily. I have done it a few times but knowing how the fuel gauge setup is in the tank chances are you are hitting the fragile little float arm with the siphon hose. I'll run it until it gets to the 2 bar level and this way I get to see the gauge work properly.

2016 GSX-S1000
post #9 of 12 Old 10-11-2019, 02:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roy826 View Post
I could but the GSX tank shape makes that really difficult to do easily. I have done it a few times but knowing how the fuel gauge setup is in the tank chances are you are hitting the fragile little float arm with the siphon hose. I'll run it until it gets to the 2 bar level and this way I get to see the gauge work properly.
And itís a great excuse to ride a few extra miles!
post #10 of 12 Old 10-14-2019, 07:28 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Followup:

Bike runs amazing now! Apparently the fuel pump and possibly the regulator on the old assembly was just all going bad. The filter was stopped up for sure. The bike is very smooth running now and even the down low throttle jerk around 1800-2500 rpms is virtually gone. Biggest thing is the power now, it'll throttle up in 3rd gear straight up to the balance point on pure throttle from around 6k rpms. Similar to what it always would do in 1st or 2nd gear. No more cut out with 1-2 bars showing on fuel gauge when applying wide open throttle in any gear.

Today's fuel pumps are just junk on all brands and add in the sorry dirty fuel we are buying from run down stations and operators I do not see this changing. I got $80 in the repair and about 2 hours of my time.

2016 GSX-S1000

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page