A possible problem with throttle sensors 13580-29G00 and 13605-02F00 - Page 3 - Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum
User Tag List

17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 27 Old 10-26-2019, 12:14 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
I said CRANKSHAFT position sensor. Not camshaft. Some engines have both (hence the "excerpt" above referencing a CRANKSHAFT-camshaft sensor. Our bikes only have the one. All the symptoms still apply to bikes with just the CRANKSHAFT sensor.) Not sure what your point is. Are you trying to help? The crankshaft position sensor is notoriously the culprit when it is a HOT bike issue of a random nature such as misfire, loss of power, etc. and the shop can never find a problem. It is nearly impossible to duplicate in a static environment.

I'm trying to help the guy out. The most likely issue, based on the symptoms and obvious potential causes being ruled out, is the CRANKSHAFT position sensor. (And for bikes with both, the camshaft position sensor should be considered, too, for those that run other machines besides the GSX-S.)
oldjackbob and JamesK like this.
post #22 of 27 Old 10-28-2019, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for all your input guys. I did order the .SENSOR ASSY 13580-14J00 throttle position sensor so will obviously start with that and a good look at everything else that can be see or jiggled when the tank is off etc. It certainly seems to fail more when it is hot so all other suggestions will be considered by my partner for sure.

I wonder what other bikes share this same sensor? I keep being told the engine is based on the gsxr I wonder if they have issues like this too?
post #23 of 27 Old 10-29-2019, 06:31 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Hot days and long rides ? That suggests to me that the tank is getting closer to empty than full when this happen's. The issue: Cut's out and coughing and spluttering, not much engine power. (From Post 1).
When Jo turn's the kill switch off and back on, it works OK for while.

When you turn on the ign switch, you hear the fuel pump pressuring the line to the throttle body injector's. Same happens via the kill switch when the line pressure would be low to nil.
The pump motor runs hotter in prolonged use and a minimum of 1 Litre of fuel is needed after it has reached indicated empty to maintain pump cooling in normal ambient temperatures.
Hot dry air is not normal ambient either.

So on prolonged really hot weather rides, with the fuel low in the tank, the reflected engine heat could be affecting the pump itself or vapourising the fuel in the lines to the injector's (the coughing/spluttering).
If it's got that bad, the ECU (in a GSX-S1000) would be very hot. That sensor 13580 - 14J00 is not from that bike, so what IS the bike were talking about here?

You can never prove vapouring is happening once after the bike got cooler, say in a workshop or the bike has had a chance to cool down a bit.

Rob.
JamesK likes this.

post #24 of 27 Old 10-30-2019, 06:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Frog4aday and Rob, thanks for the great suggestions.

@frog4aday , since you brought up the Crankshaft position sensor could you pls point me to likely place on the engine it might be found on this bike/engine?

I'm also having trouble trying to find it on the parts fiche.
https://www.suzukipartshouse.com/oem...sx-s1000-parts

@Rob , we plan to stick some heat-shield material to the underside of the gas tank just in case it helps with heat management on the really hot days and/or crawling through traffic.

Last edited by JamesK; 10-30-2019 at 06:56 AM.
post #25 of 27 Old 10-30-2019, 03:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
[QUOTE=JamesK;396652]Frog4aday and Rob, thanks for the great suggestions.

@frog4aday , since you brought up the Crankshaft position sensor could you pls point me to likely place on the engine it might be found on this bike/engine?

Its on the right side under the starter clutch. You will need the shop manual and maybe a special tool and some wrenching skills to get to it.
post #26 of 27 Old 10-30-2019, 04:49 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesK View Post
Frog4aday and Rob, thanks for the great suggestions.
@frog4aday, since you brought up the Crankshaft position sensor could you pls point me to likely place on the engine it might be found on this bike/engine?<SNIPPED STUFF>
This sensor is located near the starter where it can 'read' the teeth on the fly wheel. Suzuki calls it a "Signal Generator" (because why call it what it is...?) The part # is:
STARTER SIGNAL GENERATOR
33110-35F00
$180.26 (USA dollars)

See attached pics to get general location, an idea of what one looks like, and to see the microfiche diagram/part #.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Crank Position Sensor.jpg (132.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 2004 GSXR CPS.jpg (20.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Signal Generator.jpg (24.4 KB, 7 views)
LEAVEITSTOCK and Talisker like this.
post #27 of 27 Old 10-30-2019, 07:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Most places don't allow refunds on electronic parts, so if possible test the part on the bike first. Buying a bunch of factory parts you can't return will be a very costly way to troubleshoot. Being you said the trouble started after the dealer serviced your bike....it kinda sounds like a possible loose connection somewhere, especially if its worse on rough road as you stated. What exactly did the dealer do?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page