A possible problem with throttle sensors 13580-29G00 and 13605-02F00 - Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum
User Tag List

17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 10-21-2019, 01:11 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
A possible problem with throttle sensors 13580-29G00 and 13605-02F00

GSXS1000f 2015 throttle position sensors 13580-14J00 and/or 13580-29G00

Hi Guys, I had an issue with my bike not responding to throttle movements some time ago. The issue seemed to go away but now it is back again 10 months later. It often occurs when I give the throttle a quick twist to overtake etc but will occur at other times as well. The bike sometimes gives me no power at all when I twist the throttle and/ or goes into a coughing and spluttering sequence. No lights come on. If I hit the kill switch and then turn it back on the bike mostly recovers immediately with the fix lasting from seconds to minutes or even hours before the issue occurs again. I have changed the plugs and air filter, the tank has been off and there didn't seem to be an issue with fuel filter. Has anyone had issues like this before or has any ideas other than the sensors? Can anyone tell me what the two throttle sensors 13580-29G00 and 13605-02F00 do individually so I can make a decision as to replacing both or just one most likely to be the issue? The issues seems worse when the bike is hot. Seems worse on long rides (I often do 500 + km in a day for multiple days)The issue seems worse when the bike is under strain, overtaking or going up hill. Rough roads seem to make it worse. The issue can also just occur for no obvious reason going straight ahead on level ground with no strain. I'm struggling to diagnose this but it became dangerous when I was traveling in multi lane traffic the other day and I have to get to the bottom of the issue.
post #2 of 27 Old 10-21-2019, 02:03 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Yes, I've ;had that happen and had it fully investigated by experts and no-one could get is to replicate when it was in the workshop of course, but then it would happen on the road. The one constant, here in Australia, was hot days and long rides. Finally I spoke to a Suzuki dealer in Launceston Tasmania, and he confirmed that one of his customers had it happen when he rode up to Cape York (the very hot tip of Ausrlia). His verdict was that the only explanation is when the bike gets hot, but no-one has every isoloated, which part is getting hot and failing. One thing is true though, let the blighter cool down and the problem goes away for a while. I even suspected it was the boosterplug, but I contacted its inventor, Jens Lyck in Denmark and he confirmed it wasn't that; indeed if you don't have a boosterplug on your bike, that proves it. So you are not the only one, but there is no answer yet.
Jo Sorensen likes this.
post #3 of 27 Old 10-21-2019, 02:14 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
I want to add that during the investigation one theory was a block of air into the tank, nup, and so it went on with weeks of investgation. If you find an snwer please let me know.Mine hasn't done it for a while,but it's been winter.

post #4 of 27 Old 10-21-2019, 03:06 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Hi Jo,
Have you considered the IAT sensor ? One Member here had a failure with one some time back.
The symptoms include poor acceleration. Does the fuel economy show anything good or bad ?
The IAT (air intake temperature sensor) in at the back of the air filter box. Perhaps the connector is a bit loose if some work was done to that part the motor, like re setting the fuel mixture's ?

Here's a link to a site I Googled on IAT failure. https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...erature-sensor

Rob

Last edited by Slower and Slower; 10-21-2019 at 03:13 AM.
post #5 of 27 Old 10-21-2019, 05:18 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I don't know what a boosterplug is, so if it is an aftermarket something or other, I don't have one. I will let you know if I actually find out anything of any help.
post #6 of 27 Old 10-21-2019, 05:25 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
My problem first manifested after the major service, which was stuffed up by the Suzuki Dealer. When I was on a 4 day ride the guys I was riding with tried to diagnose the issue. At an overnight stop they pulled the tank off the bike and found that the air box had not been properly seated and screwed down so it have been bumping up and down. that made them think that some kind of air intake sensor may have been giving false readings. The issue was not fixed with the air box being properly secured however. Could the IAT have been affected at that time do you think? On a slightly different note my bike seems good on fuel compared to a freind who has a ninja 1000 of the same vintage. My bike is very particular on fuel and will not run on 91 octane which others say is strange as it should run but just ping etc.
post #7 of 27 Old 10-21-2019, 07:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I just wanted to ask again if anyone might know why there are 2x throttle position sensors and exactly how this works, e.g. does the second one cut in above a certain RPM, etc. The part # are different for these too.
post #8 of 27 Old 10-21-2019, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
If it's an ECU issue, disconnecting the negative battery terminal for a while may reset something?

2018 Suzuki GSX-S1000

Blue rim tape / Fender eliminator / Pazzo levers / MRA Race Windscreen

2019 Triumph Speed Twin (for sale soon ...)
post #9 of 27 Old 10-21-2019, 06:13 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Garage
Your part numbers - one is a screw and once is the sensor. The sensor cost $80.00 and is possibly (likely??) defective. Before you buy one, adjust your TPS to between 1.10v - 1.13v. Numerous threads on how to do so. If that does not fix it, then replace the sensor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screw.JPG (42.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg sensor.JPG (46.0 KB, 6 views)
tonyv2 and JamesK like this.
post #10 of 27 Old 10-21-2019, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXS-NH View Post
Your part numbers - one is a screw and once is the sensor. The sensor cost $80.00 and is possibly (likely??) defective. Before you buy one, adjust your TPS to between 1.10v - 1.13v. Numerous threads on how to do so. If that does not fix it, then replace the sensor.
Hi GSXS-NH, could you pls explain why you only suggest replacing this sensor (#6 ) and not the second one?
.SENSOR ASSY 13580-14J00

I am still quite confused since there are 2 TPS sensors, the second one being
.SENSOR ASSY 13580-29G00

You can see in the below parts list #6 & #7 :

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page