Recall in US - Page 3 - Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum
User Tag List

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 34 Old 11-27-2015, 11:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I got a call from my dealer today and he said that he spoke with Suzuki and they have no timeline for replacement calipers, meaning I have no idea how long it will be before the recall is fixed. I wish I hadn't looked up to see if my bike needed it; I'd still be out riding like a maniac.
post #22 of 34 Old 11-27-2015, 11:23 PM

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mroseland View Post
I got a call from my dealer today and he said that he spoke with Suzuki and they have no timeline for replacement calipers, meaning I have no idea how long it will be before the recall is fixed. I wish I hadn't looked up to see if my bike needed it; I'd still be out riding like a maniac.
Just ride. You will have the rear brake no matter what. Just be sensible.

Last edited by Gixxus; 11-29-2015 at 06:20 PM.
post #23 of 34 Old 11-29-2015, 03:51 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Seriously, just use the rear brake?
Not the best advice, you will be in a world of hurt if you think a rear brake will safely pull you up.
Better to wait for the new calipers.
ChicagoAJ likes this.

post #24 of 34 Old 11-29-2015, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I know it won't happen but for us that don't have the upmost confidence in our dealer's technicians it would be cool if we could just walk into the dealer with our "defective" calipers in hand and swap them for the "updated" ones, but noooo, that would be too easy....
post #25 of 34 Old 11-29-2015, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jong View Post
Seriously, just use the rear brake?
Not the best advice, you will be in a world of hurt if you think a rear brake will safely pull you up.
Better to wait for the new calipers.
I would still use the front brakes. I would just take solace in the rear brake being there for me. You do realize bikes at one time never even had front brakes right. Yes they were lower powered but you don't have to twist the throttle too much either. BTW, a rear brake will stop you in a non panic situation. Especially with engine braking. I have done it. Jeez. I did'nt say go 100 and canyon carving. Don't be so hyper sensitve. Go try it once. Lastly, I would, of course, get it fixed as soon as possible.

Last edited by Gixxus; 11-29-2015 at 06:57 PM.
post #26 of 34 Old 11-29-2015, 06:54 PM

Considering at least 70% of your braking performance is in your front brakes and the rear is really only there for trailing or a slow stop I stand by my statement. You will also transfer or the weight to the rear making the handling very light. I certainly would not want to rely on a rear brake out in suburban traffic, and certainly not out in the country side and God forgive in the wet.
So not being hyper sensitive, just don't like seeing crap, uniformed and potentially dangerous advice being offered.
post #27 of 34 Old 11-29-2015, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jong View Post
Considering at least 70% of your braking performance is in your front brakes and the rear is really only there for trailing or a slow stop I stand by my statement. You will also transfer or the weight to the rear making the handling very light. I certainly would not want to rely on a rear brake out in suburban traffic, and certainly not out in the country side and God forgive in the wet.
So not being hyper sensitive, just don't like seeing crap, uniformed and potentially dangerous advice being offered.
Sure. You win. Ultimate safety is king not reason. Also, did you even read the recall? It's for fluid seepage not total brake failure. If it's not leaking ride it till the dealer can fix it. If it's leaking put the bike up till it's fixed. BTW you can always get a cage is safety is tops. lol
redbeard likes this.

Last edited by Gixxus; 11-29-2015 at 11:45 PM.
post #28 of 34 Old 11-30-2015, 02:34 AM

Yes I did read the recall notice and it was for brake fluid leakage not seepage, there is a difference.
What if the seals let go while out on a ride?
And what are the hazards - "brake fluid could leak out onto the wheel".
But don't worry I'm sure that couldn't possibly cause any problems as you still have your rear brake.
Muppet.
If it was my bike on the recall list I'd rather be safe than sorry.
post #29 of 34 Old 03-08-2016, 10:19 PM
Jdg

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Lots of fun in this thread.

Bumping it up to say my dealer called today to tell me it was a stop ride/stop sale safety. They came to my work, snagged the bike up. Took calipers off another bike on the floor, and sent it back to my work. Good on them for doing it that way. Oddly I figured that by now there wouldn't be any more pre recall bikes left, guess my bike's been sitting around for awhile.
post #30 of 34 Old 03-08-2016, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdg View Post
Lots of fun in this thread.

Bumping it up to say my dealer called today to tell me it was a stop ride/stop sale safety. They came to my work, snagged the bike up. Took calipers off another bike on the floor, and sent it back to my work. Good on them for doing it that way. Oddly I figured that by now there wouldn't be any more pre recall bikes left, guess my bike's been sitting around for awhile.
WOW. That IS service!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page