LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2017, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Metzler Roadtec 01 end of life review

I'll be replacing my current tyres, the Metzler Roadtec 01's in the next few days as they've now reached the end of their useful life. For what it's worth, I've done a write-up with photos here: Confessions of an Ageing Motorcyclist: Metzler Roadtec 01 end of life review .

Cheers,

Geoff
tonyt, R1KSU, unload and 1 others like this.
Old 05-26-2017, 06:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Nice write up...had that front wear once due to not quite right tyre pressures and lots of trail braking......anyway good choice on the 01's...id have fitted them myself today but for the crazy price locally...almost 50% more for a set vs the PR2's i got.
Kiwi Geoff likes this.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by genman View Post
Nice write up...had that front wear once due to not quite right tyre pressures and lots of trail braking......anyway good choice on the 01's...id have fitted them myself today but for the crazy price locally...almost 50% more for a set vs the PR2's i got.
Thank you! There's a big difference between PR2's and the 01's here. Much of it will be pricing policy on "the latest and greatest". When PR4's first came out in NZ and got favourable reviews, they commanded a premium price but have now dropped in the face of competition from other brands. There are also some dealers who are rip-off merchants. Lord knows how they survive.

Old 05-26-2017, 07:28 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Good write up Geoff.... I'm just about to fit a pair of Metzler M7 RR, of course a 55 on the rear.
Kiwi Geoff likes this.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyt View Post
Good write up Geoff.... I'm just about to fit a pair of Metzler M7 RR, of course a 55 on the rear.
Cheers! One of my friends has them on his "F" and loves them. Hope you enjoy the UK summer on them!
Old 05-26-2017, 08:41 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Geoff View Post
Cheers! One of my friends has them on his "F" and loves them. Hope you enjoy the UK summer on them!
Yep I will give them a good workout on the roads around Hildenborough .. Tonbridge ..Hadlow..and surrounding area's...
Kiwi Geoff likes this.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:02 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Geoff View Post
I'll be replacing my current tyres, the Metzler Roadtec 01's in the next few days as they've now reached the end of their useful life. For what it's worth, I've done a write-up with photos here: Confessions of an Ageing Motorcyclist: Metzler Roadtec 01 end of life review .

Cheers,

Geoff
Late on seeing your review and talk about the Metzeler tyres. Nice write up on tyres thanks for that. I also used some high performance Metzelers on a past bike and was impressed with them. I also used their slicks on a track bike a couple years ago, good grip but fantastic durability....
I did notice something you wrote regarding the raised edge of the tyres when just about worn out. The raised edge usually indicates a rebound problem in the suspension, being the rear tyre doesn't surprise me. Normally if it's a raised lip at the back of a sipe it indicates the rebound is set too fast, and the contrary if raised at the front. Adding a bit more rebound should head you in the right direction for even better wear. Thanks again for the write up!
Jeffro
Kiwi Geoff likes this.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro View Post
Late on seeing your review and talk about the Metzeler tyres. Nice write up on tyres thanks for that. I also used some high performance Metzelers on a past bike and was impressed with them. I also used their slicks on a track bike a couple years ago, good grip but fantastic durability....
I did notice something you wrote regarding the raised edge of the tyres when just about worn out. The raised edge usually indicates a rebound problem in the suspension, being the rear tyre doesn't surprise me. Normally if it's a raised lip at the back of a sipe it indicates the rebound is set too fast, and the contrary if raised at the front. Adding a bit more rebound should head you in the right direction for even better wear. Thanks again for the write up!
Jeffro
Thanks Jeffro . Spot on! I've increased rebound resistance on my second set and they seem to be better but a tad early to tell. At the end of the day, the OEM shock is still budget. I've covered 35000 km now so a new shock isn't far off. It so happens that the 01's should be due for replacement in February which is just after I've done another trackday to finish them off. That coincides with the release of the Michelin Road 5's in NZ so I might be tempted to have a set fitted.
Old 12-15-2017, 01:15 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Yeh mate sounds good keep me updated with the outcome I love to know details like wear characteristics durability of tyre etc especially after a suspension change. Your right about the rear shock but it does the job in my opinion. At the mileage your talking about yeh I wouldn't be servicing it, I would definitely replace as you have suggested.
Michelin 5s? Didn't even know about them. The 4s are one of the best sport/touring tyres of all time. But like everything they manufacture something else to feed that "new must be better" market. Speaking of Michelin I have sourced what I consider the best performance street tyre of all time - the Michelin Pilot Power 2CT. They are an "old" tyre by today's standards but for my type riding the absolute best street tyre. I sourced them from the US and they are coming now. Can't wait to try them on this beast.
Anyway mate keep up the reviews and discussions - they are much appreciated here in Oz!
Cheers mate
Jeffro
EDIT - I just looked at the PR5 review looks impressive definitely a tyre to try next time around!
Kiwi Geoff likes this.

Last edited by Jeffro; 12-15-2017 at 01:34 AM.
Old 12-15-2017, 04:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Thanks for sharing your findings, just put 01s on my bike but not ridden it much over the last few weeks.

Most of my riding is on back roads with plenty of twisties although I do a 60 mile commute each day (when its above freezing, I dont like ICE!) on the motorway which is likely to create a flatspot very quickly.

I would be very happy to get 6000 miles from a pair of loops.
Kiwi Geoff likes this.

I know nothing and welcome the opportunity to share my knowledge with anyone crazy enough to take it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in