11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 06-24-2017, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Shinko tires?

Has anyone tried the Shinko Verge tires yet? The dealership guys are all running them and they have good online reviews.

Thinking about trying them out!
post #2 of 14 Old 06-24-2017, 11:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
I have read several comparison tests with that tire in the mix. According to those tests the tire is among the heaviest and slowest handling. You get what you pay for with cheap tires. If you are looking for inexpensive tires, Continental has some tires priced almost as low as Shinkos. For my money I'd go with the Conti's.
post #3 of 14 Old 06-24-2017, 11:24 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
i hear good thing about shinko tires....there probably the best price by far and more tire ill ever need....there a big company i believe bigger then most think......thanks for posting shinko ill be needing tires end of this year and ill give then a closer look

post #4 of 14 Old 06-26-2017, 03:44 PM
luc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAVEITSTOCK View Post
i hear good thing about shinko tires....there probably the best price by far and more tire ill ever need....there a big company i believe bigger then most think......thanks for posting shinko ill be needing tires end of this year and ill give then a closer look
if you take in consideration the mileage, how many miles you get from a tire + mounting cost, my experience has been that they are far from being the best value
PR2 and Avon AV66 are for the rear and BT30 for the front
post #5 of 14 Old 06-26-2017, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Tires and brakes are items to never cheap out on. What that means to me is; do not buy tires and brakes solely because they are the cheapest. Especially on a $10,000 motorcycle with 160 hp. That being said, I would never buy discount tires or brakes. You get what you pay for in this area. That is not to say I do not shop around for the best discounted price. For me, piece of mind alone is enough to justify buying a reputable brand of tires. But I am of the opinion I could use all the help I can get keeping the shiny side up. And I am willing to sacrifice a few extra bucks to that end.
Martin, lee711, tonyt and 2 others like this.

The Dude Abides and Rides:
2017 Suzuki GSX-R 1000-Blue

Track only

2017 R6-Blue/Black
post #6 of 14 Old 06-26-2017, 10:09 PM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
I considered the Shinko Raven 009 when looking for tires, but ended up going with the Bridgestone BT0023 instead because it was only a few dollars more but had much better reviews.

The Raven and the Verge both seem to be sport touring tires, not sure why Shinko has two different sport touring tires, maybe the Verge is the replacement for the Raven?

Another cheap tire is the Continental Contimotion but it got some poor reviews and is even billed as a budget tire. The BT0023 is not a budget tire, it's just cheap because it's been replaced by the T30 but it's still a quality tire. The T30 supposedly offers slightly better grip but worse longevity.

I had previously paid top dollar for Michelin PR4's back in 2014 when they had just come out, and for the type of riding I do I don't notice any difference between them and the bridgestones so I may as well save some money. I'd say if you ride a lot in the rain the PR4 can't be beat.
post #7 of 14 Old 06-27-2017, 03:23 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
Tires and brakes are items to never cheap out on. What that means to me is; do not buy tires and brakes solely because they are the cheapest. Especially on a $10,000 motorcycle with 160 hp. That being said, I would never buy discount tires or brakes. You get what you pay for in this area. That is not to say I do not shop around for the best discounted price. For me, piece of mind alone is enough to justify buying a reputable brand of tires. But I am of the opinion I could use all the help I can get keeping the shiny side up. And I am willing to sacrifice a few extra bucks to that end.
This was something that me, the guy from my local bike shop and the other lads who were with us at a track day recently, were discussing at length. We all had the same view, that the two areas we would never go cheap on, are tyres and brakes, the ability to stop and the quality of your contact with the road with the need for these two to work continuously in tandem cannot be scrimped on, your life depends on it, one area that concerned us was the fact that you can be sold fake pads on ebay and also sold genuine tyres which have been sitting on the shelf for 6,7,8 years and unless you had the fore-thought to check the production date you would never know, blissfully ignorant but happily smug that you've just saved 30% over the price your local bike shop wanted, but at what price really ????
TheDude and scooby61 like this.

We're here for a good time, not a long time. (woolich, PCv, K&N, T-Rex, HM plus SS)
post #8 of 14 Old 06-27-2017, 04:02 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
all the youtube vids i watched on motorcycle deaths crashes ect.....not one would of change and saved a life if they had different brake pads or tires...all sounds good none of it true
TheDude likes this.
post #9 of 14 Old 06-27-2017, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAVEITSTOCK View Post
all the youtube vids i watched on motorcycle deaths crashes ect.....not one would of change and saved a life if they had different brake pads or tires...all sounds good none of it true
LEAVEITSTOCK likes this.

The Dude Abides and Rides:
2017 Suzuki GSX-R 1000-Blue

Track only

2017 R6-Blue/Black
post #10 of 14 Old 06-27-2017, 04:27 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Tires are the only part that is keeping you connected with the road! They are by far the most important part of a bike or car. Even more on a bike that has only 2 wheels. Put cheap tires on a good bike and you completely destroy the handling. Put an awesome tire on a cheap bike and you get a fairly decent ride. Especially with 160 HP on a sporty bike, I personally just buy the best street tire I can find for my needs and call it a day. I just bought Pirelli Rosso III. For that split second where I'll need all bite I can get (to keep it on the road maybe), I know I'll have the best I was able to find. $$ should be very low on the checklist when shopping for tire. And we have only 2 to replace.

But that is just my opinion.

Just be safe guys! Cheers!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page