20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 Old 08-01-2017, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Tire replacement question

Hey Guys, was wondering if you can help me decide if I need to replace the OEM tires.
I have about 2200 miles on them and have about 500 miles to go before a track day. Looking at the mileage some are getting with the OEM tires, do you guys think I should replace the tires before the track day? The rear has a slight flat spot, nothing bad though and the treads have not hit the wear markers yet. The front is as usual in better shape that the rear with no flat spots on it.
I know that everybody recommends replacing both tires at the same time, so I might do the same. Right now looking at Pirelli Rosso II or III as replacement. Not sure If I will change the profile though - anybody see any clearance issue with the 55 rear profile and the tire hugger plastic?
post #2 of 41 Old 08-01-2017, 12:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
I'm sure the mileage/wear is acceptable, but I'd replace them because the OEM tires suck for track riding.
pulsar2 and TheDude like this.
post #3 of 41 Old 08-01-2017, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar2 View Post
Hey Guys, was wondering if you can help me decide if I need to replace the OEM tires.
I have about 2200 miles on them and have about 500 miles to go before a track day. Looking at the mileage some are getting with the OEM tires, do you guys think I should replace the tires before the track day? The rear has a slight flat spot, nothing bad though and the treads have not hit the wear markers yet. The front is as usual in better shape that the rear with no flat spots on it.
I know that everybody recommends replacing both tires at the same time, so I might do the same. Right now looking at Pirelli Rosso II or III as replacement. Not sure If I will change the profile though - anybody see any clearance issue with the 55 rear profile and the tire hugger plastic?
putting a 55 on mine made a huge difference, when i sat on it with the new 55 it felt like a different bike much better ,i thought the oem tires were crap but just my opinion went for sport smart first and now i have s21
pulsar2 likes this.

Last edited by lumberjack; 08-02-2017 at 01:50 AM.

post #4 of 41 Old 08-01-2017, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Quote:
Yes, replace them if you can afford to. You do not want to go to the track with poor tires, brakes, etc.

There are categories of tires but for the sake of discussion these are the main ones. Track/race only, Track/Road, Sport, and Sport Touring. These are not hard and fast categories, some blend the lines between categories quite well.

Track/race only are basically slicks and a few other tires that you probably have never heard of.

Track/Road would be the best for track days and street riding. But they wear out fast, but stick well. If you run a fast pace, they get greasy after 6-8 laps. I use these on my GSXS. I use the Bridgestone RS10, 190/55. The Pirelli Super Corsa V2, Metzler Race Tec, Michelin Power RS, Dunlop Q3 are all example of a road/track class of tire.

A sport tire will be more designed for the road, but you can get away with it at a track day if you are not that fast of a rider. Examples of these are Pirelli Rosso II-III, Michelin Pilot Power III, Bridgestone 21 Evo, Metzler Sport Tec, etc.

A sport Touring should not be used on the track. People do, but it is not designed for that environment. Examples include Pirelli Angel GT, Dunlop Sport Max, Michelin Pilot Road, and a whole bunch of others. I have never used a sport touring tire because I value grip over all else in a tire. Which is why i have the RS10's on the GSXS (the rs10 is arguable the stickiest tire in the track/road class of tires).
G-Dub, mike d and pulsar2 like this.

The Dude Abides and Rides:
2017 Suzuki GSX-R 1000-Blue

Track only

2017 R6-Blue/Black
post #5 of 41 Old 08-01-2017, 05:27 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Garage
Be careful as the tyre canvas shows way before the wear marks that has caught a few people out including myself and it appears very quickly.
I always read everyone saying how much difference the 55 is tipping in comparison, if you put on a new 50 you notice the same effect as a 55 cause it's new without the flat spot, my new 50 made a massive difference also.

Previous bikes
1982 YZ80J
1977 TS185
1981 XR500
1994 GSX750 Katana (Popup)
1981 GSX1100
1999 GSX750F
2008 GSX1400
Current bikes
2005 V-Strom 650 Blue
2016 GSXS1000F Blue
post #6 of 41 Old 08-01-2017, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I have also just been through choosing tyres to replace the OEM Dunlops.

After much research I narrowed it down to Pilot Road 4's or Pilot Power 3's. Talking to my local Suzuki shop, I decided to go with the Pilot Power 3's staying with OEM size rear 190/50 17.

I am very pleased with the way the bike handles with these tyres.

2016 GSX S 1000
2015 BMW R1200GS
2006 Honda CRF 230f
post #7 of 41 Old 08-01-2017, 06:06 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Quote:
tires must look new at 2200......5500 miles on mine and still going strong..in not a track guy but it sounds like they will do there job for the one track day
TheDude likes this.
post #8 of 41 Old 08-01-2017, 06:50 PM
luc

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAVEITSTOCK View Post
tires must look new at 2200......5500 miles on mine and still going strong..in not a track guy but it sounds like they will do there job for the one track day
my rear was done at 1700 miles
post #9 of 41 Old 08-01-2017, 07:04 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by luc View Post
my rear was done at 1700 miles
How did that happen? I've got 2400 on mine and they still look like new.
LEAVEITSTOCK likes this.
post #10 of 41 Old 08-01-2017, 08:07 PM

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
*if you still have plenty of tire life use them for the track, unless your ability demands better tires. I just read 2200 miles and bald spot, sorry.

The Dude Abides and Rides:
2017 Suzuki GSX-R 1000-Blue

Track only

2017 R6-Blue/Black

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page