1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 12-12-2018, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Can anyone recommend a BIG tank bag?

I already got a small tank bag but want a big one for touring. I was hoping someone could recommend one that goes well with our bike.

I did some searching and found this one from Alpinestars that seems pretty good: https://www.alpinestars.com/tech-aero-tank-bag
It's 20 liters, and expandable to 30 liters which is quite big. But before I buy it I wanted to see if anyone has any other suggestions, maybe even some pictures of the GSXS with a big tank bag on it. The problem is that a lot of the big tank bags seem to be designed for adv bikes with sharply sloping tanks and I doubt they would sit well on our bike.

Another one I was considering was the cortech super 2.0 18 liter tank bag, it's a bit smaller than the alpinestars one but still a decent capacity and a good deal cheaper. Anyone have any suggestions?
post #2 of 12 Old 12-12-2018, 09:10 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Garage
Don't know if it's what you are looking for but you might try RKA Luggage.

I will say, I did expect a lot for the price of their stuff. After 19 years, many of which saw daily use, the zippers on mine no longer function properly. Take that into consideration.

oldjackbob likes this.

My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 Suzuki GSX-S1000 | 1998 KTM 250 EXC | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Family Bikes: 2006 Honda CRF70F | 2005 Honda CRF230F
post #3 of 12 Old 12-18-2018, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Check out Givi bags they have them in all sizes. They also have the ones that connects to the gas tank no magnets, I have that one for my FJ-09

post #4 of 12 Old 01-04-2019, 05:24 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Garage
I'm currently in the same shoes as you, CaptainSlow. So no recommendation yet, but I'd share my research. I need to carry a 14 inch laptop, shoes, gym clothes plus the occassional few items of groceries my wife randomly asks me to pick up on the way home. I'd prefer the bag to have some sort of strap (shoulder or backpack), because I wouldn't leave it on the bike and will have my hands full with helmet, gloves, knee protectors when I get to the office. I don't care for price if the product works well. Currently considering:

SW Motech Sport EVO:
https://sw-motech.com/en/bike/SUZUKI...2572042687.htm
Capacity 14-21 liters (expandable) and pretty wide bottom to accomodate a laptop. It has a proprietary locking mechanism for easy take on and off and it doesn't touch the tank. However, the maximum load designated by the manufacturer is 3kg, hardly enough.

Kriega US20:
You can attach it as a tank bag using this: https://kriega.com/sports/touring/tank
Supposedly great quality, and the brick shape makes it easy to pack. However I'm not sure about the tank-bag conversion kit, as you need to remove the whole thing for refuelling. Plus you need to attach/detach all four straps each time taking the bag on or off. Can be used as tail bag as well.

Givi UT809 TanklockED
https://www.givi.it/soft-bags/Tank-B...9%20TANKLOCKED
Seemingly does everything the Alpinestars tankbag does, but not expandable (20l capacity). Has a proprietary attachment mechanism that is screwed onto the tank opening similarly the the SW Motech bag so easy on/off. It can be locked to the bike with the key, but I'm not sure about that as the zippers can still be opened. As its weigth is supported by the console screwed onto the tank I'm sure there's a weight limit here, but the manufacturer's site is currently unavailable.

I'm also considering the Alpinestars one, but it's alarming that there are no mounting instructions or meaningful reviews of the product. The local Alpinestars dealer does not carry it either...
post #5 of 12 Old 01-04-2019, 05:30 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miklos86 View Post
I'm currently in the same shoes as you, CaptainSlow. So no recommendation yet, but I'd share my research. I need to carry a 14 inch laptop, shoes, gym clothes plus the occassional few items of groceries my wife randomly asks me to pick up on the way home. I'd prefer the bag to have some sort of strap (shoulder or backpack), because I wouldn't leave it on the bike and will have my hands full with helmet, gloves, knee protectors when I get to the office. I don't care for price if the product works well. Currently considering:

SW Motech Sport EVO:
https://sw-motech.com/en/bike/SUZUKI...2572042687.htm
Capacity 14-21 liters (expandable) and pretty wide bottom to accomodate a laptop. It has a proprietary locking mechanism for easy take on and off and it doesn't touch the tank. However, the maximum load designated by the manufacturer is 3kg, hardly enough.

Kriega US20:
You can attach it as a tank bag using this: https://kriega.com/sports/touring/tank
Supposedly great quality, and the brick shape makes it easy to pack. However I'm not sure about the tank-bag conversion kit, as you need to remove the whole thing for refuelling. Plus you need to attach/detach all four straps each time taking the bag on or off. Can be used as tail bag as well.

Givi UT809 TanklockED
https://www.givi.it/soft-bags/Tank-B...9%20TANKLOCKED
Seemingly does everything the Alpinestars tankbag does, but not expandable (20l capacity). Has a proprietary attachment mechanism that is screwed onto the tank opening similarly the the SW Motech bag so easy on/off. It can be locked to the bike with the key, but I'm not sure about that as the zippers can still be opened. As its weigth is supported by the console screwed onto the tank I'm sure there's a weight limit here, but the manufacturer's site is currently unavailable.

I'm also considering the Alpinestars one, but it's alarming that there are no mounting instructions or meaningful reviews of the product. The local Alpinestars dealer does not carry it either...
I forgot to mention that the SW Motech bag is available in electric version as well.
post #6 of 12 Old 01-04-2019, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Cortech makes some great bags. I have several at the present time and really like them.
post #7 of 12 Old 01-09-2019, 07:10 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike d View Post
I have the small Suzuki tank bag. It works great and I love the mounting system. Suzuki markets larger sizes but it tops out at 15L. But... they are made for Suzuki by SW-Motech and they make one that goes to 22L with the same mounting system, but not sure how it would fit on the GXS-S tank.
SW Motech claims that the bags are interchangeable within the quick lock system. However, the price of the bag not touching the tank is that it sits on the adapter. Hence the Suzuki bag you link officially only holds 2.5kgs o 5.5 pounds and the 22l version you linked only 3kgs or 6.6 pounds. It could be a limitng factor when hauling laptop, hydration, groceries...
post #8 of 12 Old 01-15-2019, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miklos86 View Post
Revzilla still has it in stock, as well as a review: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...-aero-tank-bag

I have also considered the Kriega, I already have a US-30 so I trust the quality of them. I might just get that if I don't find anything better.

By the way I would not carry a laptop in a tank bag or tail bag, the vibrations might damage it. The best way to carry a laptop on a bike is in a back pack so that your body absorbs all the vibrations and shocks.
post #9 of 12 Old 01-15-2019, 09:57 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSlow View Post
Revzilla still has it in stock, as well as a review: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...-aero-tank-bag

I have also considered the Kriega, I already have a US-30 so I trust the quality of them. I might just get that if I don't find anything better.

By the way I would not carry a laptop in a tank bag or tail bag, the vibrations might damage it. The best way to carry a laptop on a bike is in a back pack so that your body absorbs all the vibrations and shocks.
That is true. However, I'm not that worried for the laptop. I've carried one in a hard topcase for some time without issues, plus it'll be in a cushioned sleeve. The desire not to wear a backpack is stronger.

Magnetism coming from a magnetic tank bag might be another thing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page