LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 09-16-2019, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Equivalent of Sportmax D214 is now...?

Hey peeps, quick sanity check please...

Calling time on my OEM Sportmax D214's after 4000 miles so in the market for a new set, but of course there is no longer a D214 Sportmax

I have been perfectly happy with these; the performance in terms of grip in dry/wet, the turn in, the confidence and the wear rate... I'm happy... so I just want to replace them with something similar.

Is that the Roadsmart 2 or the Sportsmart 2 Max?

The former is branded their sport/touring, the latter sport. But I don't know what the 214 was categorised as - although the name suggests it was the more sportier tyre maybe, so am I best going for the Sportsmart 2 Max as an equivalent?
post #2 of 22 Old 09-16-2019, 03:47 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Garage
Grab yourself some Michelin RS tires. I have 4500 miles and they are down to the wear bars BUT I only got 1500 miles out of the stock ones. The RS should last you a long time.

Slow is fast
post #3 of 22 Old 09-16-2019, 03:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Garage
Ditto on the Michelin. Just put on Road 5's and liking them a lot (went with the 190/55).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2201.JPG (132.6 KB, 13 views)
Packmule likes this.

post #4 of 22 Old 09-16-2019, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXS-NH View Post
Ditto on the Michelin. Just put on Road 5's and liking them a lot (went with the 190/55).
I actually have the PR4 on the rear and love it too. I have been running a supersport tire up front and a sport touring on back for years, seems they wear out about the same time that way.
oldjackbob likes this.

Slow is fast
post #5 of 22 Old 09-16-2019, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Consider your self lucky you can't buy them again. My traction control was always engaging with the those tires even in the dry. They were spinning up on corner exits mostly. Mine were done in 2700 miles. There are MUCH better tires out there for your bike that will last much longer and grip much better than the OEM tires.
post #6 of 22 Old 09-16-2019, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Roadsmart 2 were superseded by Roadsmart 3 a few years back. You would only by them on price, rather than improved performance and wear life.

Rob.
post #7 of 22 Old 09-16-2019, 09:42 PM

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slower and Slower View Post
Roadsmart 2 were superseded by Roadsmart 3 a few years back. You would only by them on price, rather than improved performance and wear life.

Rob.
I beg to differ. I'm getting pretty darn impressive life out of my 190/55 Roadsmart 3. I've got 4k miles on it and it's only now starting to show visible wear (but I don't wantonly trash my tires or my bike). I only ride dry roads so I can't speak to wet performance, but I can attest that it does fine in hot and cold weather (I commute year round, in temps of 112 degrees last summer and 19 degrees last winter). It has never lost traction, ever...not in straight-line acceleration, not leaned over in a corner. I'm getting me another one when this one's toast.

And while we're talking tires, for the life of me I've never understood why Michelin carved all those giant gouges out of the rubber on their Road 5 tire. I mean, what the **** is that all about? If they had just left that rubber on the carcass they could've easily gotten another 20% more life out of the tire, for cryin' out loud. Yeah, I know they brag about their great wet traction, but how many of us hop on the bike and go carving canyons in the rain? Gimme a break!
brumster likes this.
post #8 of 22 Old 09-16-2019, 09:57 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjackbob View Post
I beg to differ. I'm getting pretty darn impressive life out of my 190/55 Roadsmart 3. I've got 4k miles on it and it's only now starting to show visible wear (but I don't wantonly trash my tires or my bike). I only ride dry roads so I can't speak to wet performance, but I can attest that it does fine in hot and cold weather (I commute year round, in temps of 112 degrees last summer and 19 degrees last winter). It has never lost traction, ever...not in straight-line acceleration, not leaned over in a corner. I'm getting me another one when this one's toast.

And while we're talking tires, for the life of me I've never understood why Michelin carved all those giant gouges out of the rubber on their Road 5 tire. I mean, what the **** is that all about? If they had just left that rubber on the carcass they could've easily gotten another 20% more life out of the tire, for cryin' out loud. Yeah, I know they brag about their great wet traction, but how many of us hop on the bike and go carving canyons in the rain? Gimme a break!
I'm riding the R5 with all the gouges, and I don't really care if they are there or not. What I care about is real world usage... dry/wet traction and mileage. User reviews are good on all fronts. Michelin claims to have improved more than wet grip.
Quote:
Enjoy better dry grip, improved stability and handling versus MICHELIN Pilot Road 4 tires thanks to Michelin’s patented ACT+ casing technology for even more riding pleasure.***

*** Based on third party commissioned tests comparing MICHELIN Road 5 tires with MICHELIN Pilot Road 4 tires in tire sizes 120/70 ZR 17 (front) and 180/55 ZR17 (rear) using a 2017 Kawasaki® Z900 conducted by MTE Test Center in Stuttgart, Germany. Actual results may vary.
... besides, They handle great, and they are a shishpile better dry traction than stock.
post #9 of 22 Old 09-16-2019, 11:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
As they wear they're pretty average in the wet. 6,000kms and my front is pretty squared off due to straight road commuting but that's to be expected.

The road 5's are a sport touring tyre designed for all conditions and especially rain, hence the extra channels for water siping.

If you're a dry weather only rider then go buy a more sporting tyre and leave the road 5's for those of us who aren't afraid to get wet 😉

When life throws you curves, lean into them.
post #10 of 22 Old 09-17-2019, 12:14 AM

Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjackbob View Post
<<snipped>>
I was reflecting the Manufacturer's claims 'of better everything' for the RS3's as a newer product. So what is your comparison of RS3 against RS2 then OJB ? Was the Maker, Dunlop, wrong to claim the 3's benefits over the older 2 tyre ?
I had RS1's on the OEM fitment of the 2015 VRF1200F. They were nothing special, just a tyre, round and black.
The replacement Michelin PR 4GT's were far superior in every way.
Always remember, Factories often and do get 'special' tyres for their bikes; the D214 may well differ in life and characteristics from what's sold as replacement in the shops. I wonder if the D214 front as fitted to the Honda CB1000R wears like on the GSX-S1000 too ?
Tyre construction and rubber compound used is not the same worldwide either, it's geographic specific, so it' sometimes a trap with reading comparision's from Overseas.

Rob.

Last edited by Slower and Slower; 09-17-2019 at 12:16 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page