LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 Old 07-08-2016, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Hit-N-Run

In my apartment this morning, and I hear the proximity warning on my bike (Scorpio i900). I look out my window and see my neighbors ride to work is backing out and passing the bike. A few seconds later, I hear the alarm go off. I figure they just got too close, so I turn off the alarm and go about my business. Later I go outside to see this

So, I start looking for where they hit me.

Okay, I'm pissed on principle at this point. I call dispatch (non emergency number) and ask if I should have an officer come out and take some pictures before I move it. At this point I hadn't decided if I wanted to file a report, I'm not too concerned about aesthetics, but I wanted the officers to have their pictures of it just in case there was some mechanical damage. While I'm waiting for the officer, took them an hour or so, I started taking a closer look.

OhFuckNo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The officer shows up, takes my statement, information, and some pictures. While he's filling out the report, I take a test drive... made it just past my Jeep and the officer's car before I pulled over again.

So far as I can tell, the break disc is bent, and the lower triple-tree has rotated out of alignment, probably bent fork, maybe bent rim.

Now I'm sitting around all day waiting for the neighbor to get home from work so I can take some pictures, politely ask for insurance information, and finish out the police report.

I have liability only, because full coverage would have cost me more per month than the loan payment, just didn't make sense. Worst case, I'm out a few months while I repair it, maybe even the riding season for the year, depends on the extent and cost. Hopefully, they own up, and insurance pays for a shop to repair it, I'm back in a few weeks.

Great fuckin' way to start the day and end the week.

-Jaren

2016 GSXS1000FAL6
post #2 of 39 Old 07-08-2016, 01:54 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Garage
Wow, the nerve your neighbor has.....

So sorry to read this, I hope you can get it back to proper working order quickly!
USSENTERNCC1701E likes this.
post #3 of 39 Old 07-08-2016, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Keep us updated with your interaction with your neighbor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 39 Old 07-08-2016, 05:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Eh? What?? I'm speechless...I'd end up locked up but I hope you deal with them better...can't wait to hear what they say.
Sorry bud. That blows.
post #5 of 39 Old 07-08-2016, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 311 Post(s)
You leave it out there overnight?

2016 Red/Black GSX-S1000F.

2015 BMW 1200GS
post #6 of 39 Old 07-08-2016, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chr1s View Post
Eh? What?? I'm speechless...I'd end up locked up but I hope you deal with them better...can't wait to hear what they say.
Sorry bud. That blows.
Lol, yeah, I'm glad I've had 8 hours to calm down. Hopefully they'll be getting home soon.

2016 GSXS1000FAL6
post #7 of 39 Old 07-08-2016, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromer View Post
You leave it out there overnight?
No, I'd been out and about earlier, stopped home for a little bit between errands.

2016 GSXS1000FAL6
post #8 of 39 Old 07-08-2016, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
The amount of fuckin' space there is and they still manage to hit your bike is fuckin' unbelievable.
post #9 of 39 Old 07-08-2016, 09:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Gutted for you, what an A hole.
Hope you get it sorted swiftly

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
post #10 of 39 Old 07-08-2016, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Okay, guy finally got home from work. Took every bit of restraint I could muster to approach the vehicle calmly. Spoke to the driver; he was polite, admitted to hitting the bike, handed his insurance information right over, apologized, and said he didn't realize there was any damage to the bike. Went down to the police department to give them his info, and asked I if they could keep this from being a criminal charge against him. They said he'll definitely get a ticket for the collision, but they can try to work it so he doesn't get fleeing the scene. I also let them know that, just in case he tries to fight it, I checked with the bus station across the street, and two of their cameras cover the incident. Left my insurance company a voicemail, hopefully they get back to me early Monday. I'm on travel for work next week, and will be leaving Monday. Original plan was to drive the GSX-S, but that's shot now. Was panicking for a bit because I don't have time to book a flight and get approval through finance before I leave, but my dad offered to let me drive his V-Strom, so, I'll still be on a Suzuki, just not my baby, more baggage room I guess.

Oh, when speaking to my insurance company earlier. He says there's a decent chance the bike will be totalled. He's kinda on the fence, but with how much work and time goes into fixing a bike, vs how much salvage value there is in parts... he said that it's pretty common to total if there's more than cosmetic damage. Luckily I have all my receipts from the alarm, fuel mapper, and speedometer corrector; so those will be original purchase price payout if it's totalled. I may also get a large percentage of the cost of my tires back, since they're so knew. Maybe I'll get one with the new ECM...

FML, could be worse, at least I got the other guy's info, and thankfully I wasn't on the bike.

-Jaren
chr1s, Jaked and sangedegsx like this.

2016 GSXS1000FAL6

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page