LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 08-26-2016, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Annual Trip

In 2017 there's a total solar eclipse coming through just a few hundred miles north of where I live. For the last three years, my dad and I have been going on scouting trips to find the ideal location to view it from. This year we actually didn't make it to where we meant to go for scouting, my dad had to rebuild his carbs at the last minute (well, he waited till the last minute anyway). We wound up missing the first travel day, but still got a good three days in. We're pretty well decided on the Sawtooth Mountains from last years trip, we did the Windriver Mountains the year before, but it looks like the eclipse will be right in the middle of thunderstorm season.

My dad had this at 975 miles, I'm showing 835. Neither of us remembered to actually reset a tripometer for it.

We went from Cache Valley, Utah; to Jackson, Wyoming; through Grand Teton National Park; into Yellowstone National Park, where we spent the first night. Second day we left Yellowstone; went up to Bear Tooth Pass (little tail sticking up off the Northern part of our route); back down then to Cody Wyoming. Last day was from Cody to home, didn't hit Bear Tooth, and took a slightly different route.

http://goo.gl/Fc7YQ4 - Google Maps, route taken

Bear Tooth Pass is just amazing, on the Wyoming side the roads are really well cared for, and they aren't too bad on the Montana side. Very steep elevation gain, tight 20MPH rated switchbacks. My dad had a helmet cam for that, and 2 or 3 bike mounted, so hopefully I'll get ahold of a few more of his pics or short vids and can show the Pass.

Bison in Yellowstone, we're just creepin' past, those fuckers own the road.

Last day, heading from Yellowstone to Jackson through Tetons park.

Same, the Tetons are just beautiful mountain. Forest fires in the area, so everything is a bit hazy in the distance.

River on our way back into Yellowstone from Cody

Yellowstone Lake.

First day coming into Yellowstone, sun through smoke from a forest fire.

Couple of shots of the bikes in a Yellowstone general store parking lot on the first night. Buying firewood, they're pretty peculiar about gathering wood.

Overlook on Bear Tooth Pass. Up in the top left corner you can actually see the road two turns back.

Looking down onto some more roadway for Bear Tooth. We turned around here, so I don't know exactly how far along the Pass those turns are.

View into the valley on the Montana side of the Pass.

A few shots from a bridge we found, not too sure when along the travels.

The Tetons from Yellowstone before we crossed into the Grand Tetons park.

Will try to get some footage or stills from Bear Tooth.

-Jaren
Beaker and chalkyz like this.

2016 GSXS1000FAL6
post #2 of 3 Old 08-28-2016, 03:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Awesome!
I'm off to Spain on mine in a couple of weeks. I hope my scenery is half as good as yours.
That Bison looks an absolute brute. I don't think I would have wanted to ride as close as that to it

Brave man!
USSENTERNCC1701E likes this.

Pull my finger
post #3 of 3 Old 08-28-2016, 04:07 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Garage
What an amazing looking trip! I've had a motorcycle trek in the States on my bucket list for a while now, this whets my appetite for it even more.

Well, apart from that bison. That would have just made me wet myself!

USSENTERNCC1701E likes this.

2010 Ducati 1098 Streetfighter S
2016 Suzuki GSXS-1000
2008 Suzuki Hayabusa
2007 Honda CBR600RR
2007 Hyosung GT250R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page