8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 06-29-2017, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
My first oil change on the GSXS

First of all, I didn't realize you had to be a contortionist to get to the filter on the "F" model. My arm and my face will never be the same.

Here's the story....I bought this bike with 1500 miles and the previous owner changed his own oil but didn't tighten up the filter adequately. It was super loose! There is no doubt that if I had not noticed those few drops of oil on my garage floor, I would have lost my engine. It was so loose it jiggled when I touched it.

Thankfully I caught it in time with the oil level still between the L and F.

He had a Fram filter on it...maybe that had something to do with it.

Anyway, it's done and I feel better knowing everything is good!
LEAVEITSTOCK likes this.
post #2 of 27 Old 06-29-2017, 09:05 PM

Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reagenn View Post
First of all, I didn't realize you had to be a contortionist to get to the filter on the "F" model. My arm and my face will never be the same.

Here's the story....I bought this bike with 1500 miles and the previous owner changed his own oil but didn't tighten up the filter adequately. It was super loose! There is no doubt that if I had not noticed those few drops of oil on my garage floor, I would have lost my engine. It was so loose it jiggled when I touched it.

Thankfully I caught it in time with the oil level still between the L and F.

He had a Fram filter on it...maybe that had something to do with it.

Anyway, it's done and I feel better knowing everything is good!
Tip: Always use a filter with a 17mm nut on the top (same size as oil bolt). HiFlo Filtro 138RC, or K&N KN-138 (made by HiFlo). It will make oil changes much easier.
post #3 of 27 Old 06-29-2017, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks Mike, I did use the K&N and that nut does make it nice.
mike d likes this.

post #4 of 27 Old 07-08-2017, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Well, cleaned and lubed my chain the other day, and adjusted the throttle cable. Also, set my suspension back to factory specs. The previous owner had tightened everything up a bit.

I will say that the different suspension settings along with the throttle adjustment seems to have helped the throttle issue a good bit. I do have the PCV installed.

Then today, got the new shoes put on. So far so good! (Picture is of the chain work, not the new tires)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170706_094905 (002) (1280x719).jpg (485.7 KB, 46 views)
mike d likes this.
post #5 of 27 Old 07-08-2017, 05:22 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Yeah, that first one is a doozy, especially when the filters you're used to changing are right out in the open. It appears that when using the filter with the nut, one doesn't have to remove, disconnect, unhook, pry apart, unbolt, or break any fairings for the next oil change.

I've never had a filter loosen on any bike or car, and I don't go gorilla on them. It must have been barely tight when installed. Good timing on catching it; your next ride wouldn't have had a happy ending.

--Gary

2016 GSX-S1000F, Red/Black
2014 V-Strom 1000
2012 DR650
2011 Burgman 400
2007 Honda Helix
2013 DL650 - Sold
post #6 of 27 Old 07-09-2017, 12:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I've never had a filter loosen but have spoken to some that have. One even reported loosing one on an interstate. Some time ago, I implemented a technique on my street bikes that I had used on my race bikes per the organization's rules and enforced by tech inspection; the old hose clamp and safety wire trick. Tighten filter, put hose clamp around it. Run safety wire through worm screw and attach opposite end to fixed point on motor. Tighten everything. If that filter even thinks about loosening, the clamp/safety wire will keep it from coming off. Here's the filter on the RSV4. Not the best through the lower but you get the idea...

Attachment 27586
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (195.6 KB, 47 views)
post #7 of 27 Old 07-09-2017, 05:25 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
actually, its no big deal to not have a nut at all. Since your not going to reuse the filter and likely dispose of it after removal, just stab it with a screw driver from the side and turn. Thats how I got the one that came from the factory off
post #8 of 27 Old 07-09-2017, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dqban View Post
actually, its no big deal to not have a nut at all. Since your not going to reuse the filter and likely dispose of it after removal, just stab it with a screw driver from the side and turn. Thats how I got the one that came from the factory off
The nut is 10X easier than trying to get your hand in there even if it's just to stab it with a screwdriver.
A short extension and a socket and you go right between the pipes from the front. Try it. You will want the nut version in the future.
post #9 of 27 Old 07-09-2017, 11:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike d View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dqban View Post
The nut is 10X easier than trying to get your hand in there even if it's just to stab it with a screwdriver.
A short extension and a socket and you go right between the pipes from the front. Try it. You will want the nut version in the future.
If the hex nut filter isnt available why not just get the cap filter wrench that grabs onto the filter and does the same job....many parts places sell them along with the filter.... for all the extra cost I stick with Genuine Suzuki filters.
post #10 of 27 Old 07-09-2017, 11:37 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike d View Post

I'm not saying dont buy the nut version.... with the bike does not come with that one and I don't think the op has that one either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page