LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 11-20-2017, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Oxford hot grips , soooo Warm

Hi All .
Been thinking a while about heated grips ( Yep , getting old ) The things that put me off were making a tidy installation , and not wanting the bars looking cluttered up . After a good ride out a week ago slightly marred by cold hands ( i noticed i found it harder to filter and maneuver slowly with cold hands ) i started to watch a few reviews for hot grips .what swayed me was going into local bike shop Saturday morning and seeing a 2016 CB1000r Onda fitted with them , the install was so tidy that i bought a set later that day and fitted them in the afternoon / evening . All pretty straight forward , just need to spend a bit of time planning where to run wires , attach controller etc . I found the best way to hinge the head light forward and hide the connections in there . i also ran the wires for a 12v charger that i had at the same time to save lifting the tank and removing panels at a later date ( need to be able to charge the fone when i go to the IOM next year
One thing to watch for is starting the bike with the cowling around the key removed , it has a sensor around the key and if not in place thinks the ignition is being tampered with , allowing the bike to turn over but not start . and showing a FI and management light . It sorted it's self after replacing the cowling . It may of stored a fault code but i'll get it cleared when im passing the dealer .
On a 30 odd mile ride yesterday they were great , set at 75 per cent to warm up then no more than 40 from then . They have an intelligent controller that senses voltage drop and turns them off if you leave them on after shutting bike down .
hot grips 1.jpg

Hot grips 2.jpg

Hot grips 3.jpg

Hot grips 4.jpg

Hot grips 5.jpg
bking1441 likes this.
post #2 of 23 Old 11-21-2017, 06:56 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Garage
I have had the same on every bike I've had, great grips. I mounted the controller to the back of the brake master cylinder using Velcro. A bit more awkward to use but tidier I think as it doesn't stick up so much.

Blue Naked 2015 ABS model. PCV, Nitron Ntr-1 shock, MRA screen(modified) Puig crash bungs, HEL lines and EBC-HH pads, job done. (Riding since 1959.)
post #3 of 23 Old 11-21-2017, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Nice One.
I too did the same installation. They make a huge difference. And if you think they are good in the cold, just wait until you get caught in the rain. They can make those unbearable trips, bearable-just

Pull my finger

post #4 of 23 Old 11-21-2017, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
😀bring on those rainy days , maybe not 😀
Beaker likes this.
post #5 of 23 Old 11-21-2017, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Garage
Installed the same kit on my GSXS.
Not happy with the throttle grip, and I see it seems to be even more gap/improper fitment on the pictures here.
Difficult to get it over the plastic throttle grip and the Oxford grip have no groove that fit the plastic grip as the OEM grip has.
But the heating is nice and works wonder in cold weather.

2018 - Speed Triple S
2015 - GSX-S1000
2009 - B-King 1441
post #6 of 23 Old 11-22-2017, 04:15 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Yes tbh I cut off the plastic stopper for the original grip , then removed the ridges to which you refer and got It sitting really snug up to the end of the tube . Then when I went for the final fit with the glue supplied I was too slow and didn't get it up tight enough 🙁 To late to do anything other than live with it now , and hope no one notices 😜
bking1441 likes this.
post #7 of 23 Old 11-22-2017, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stina View Post
Yes tbh I cut off the plastic stopper for the original grip , then removed the ridges to which you refer and got It sitting really snug up to the end of the tube . Then when I went for the final fit with the glue supplied I was too slow and didn't get it up tight enough 🙁 To late to do anything other than live with it now , and hope no one notices 😜
Same with me.
Since I am a little nitpick I bought spare OEM grips if someone should complain about my installation (when selling/trade in the bike for new one)

2018 - Speed Triple S
2015 - GSX-S1000
2009 - B-King 1441
post #8 of 23 Old 11-23-2017, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I mounted my controller on top of the stem nut easy to get to with gloves on and carnt be seen looks good.
kneeslider likes this.
post #9 of 23 Old 11-23-2017, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bking1441 View Post
Same with me.
Since I am a little nitpick I bought spare OEM grips if someone should complain about my installation (when selling/trade in the bike for new one)
Ok it got to me in the end so i did this
Hot grips 6.jpg
Went through the bin and found the off cut from the open end of the grip so that it matches the rubber , trimmed it up and stuck it in the gap . Now all i gotta do is convince myself that's how it was meant to be
bking1441 and Beaker like this.
post #10 of 23 Old 11-25-2017, 12:11 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I've got the same grips on my GSXS-F, I'll never own another bike without heated grips it's my fist upgrade!!

It's not the destination it's the journey!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page