LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 03-10-2018, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
I think I have made a mistake. ..

My bike is triton blue, but Suzuki doesn't make a color matched seat cowl. So I ordered a can of spray paint from Color rite, I haven't put the clear coat on yet and it dosent look close at all. Ugh. I'm going to finish it out an hope it looks closer when I'm done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2018-03-10-19-32-59_1520728405115.jpg (35.8 KB, 113 views)
post #2 of 17 Old 03-10-2018, 09:00 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Garage
It looks good, but hard to say how close the match is without a side by side photo. Didi you get one unpainted or did you have to refinish another color?
post #3 of 17 Old 03-10-2018, 10:47 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
well the bike is black and blue.....and the seat was black....tell ya the truth i like black better

post #4 of 17 Old 03-11-2018, 12:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
why didn't you LEAVE IT STOCK ???
post #5 of 17 Old 03-11-2018, 06:16 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni View Post
why didn't you LEAVE IT STOCK ???
i did still have the seat....have a bungee net wrapped around the seat find it very useful ...when it gets dark it holds my sun glasses extra shirt ect

Last edited by LEAVEITSTOCK; 03-11-2018 at 06:18 AM.
post #6 of 17 Old 03-11-2018, 06:29 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
aerosols, especially metalic, will seldom match oem. color rite's bottle touch up paint, unthinned!, sprayed through a paint sprayer matches very well. I have used this on my 2016 to repair front fender and it came out flawless. The problem wit aerosol cans and metallic is its almost impossible to get the concentration of metallic particles to match. I just dont think the aerosol is moving enough air.
post #7 of 17 Old 03-11-2018, 12:31 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sveetwin View Post
My bike is triton blue, but Suzuki doesn't make a color matched seat cowl. So I ordered a can of spray paint from Color rite, I haven't put the clear coat on yet and it dosent look close at all. Ugh. I'm going to finish it out an hope it looks closer when I'm done.
It needs a silver undercoat then the triton blue on top until the colour matches then clearcoat. You cannot match using only triton blue, needs the special silver first
post #8 of 17 Old 03-11-2018, 08:44 PM

I think I have made a mistake. ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhuketPaul View Post
It needs a silver undercoat then the triton blue on top until the colour matches then clearcoat. You cannot match using only triton blue, needs the special silver first

not completely true....I did not use the silver undercoat on my fender repair with the touch up and is not required. Color rite actually specifically markets triton blue as a 2 stage paint (not counting primer of course). The red requires 3 different coats. The actual jar of touch up paint matches very well. Im literally looking at it on my desk. Ive had similar problems trying to match aerosol paint before and with this company....the aerosol metallics just dont quite match but the solid color aerosols blended very nice.

when spraying the touchup through an airbrush you have to use a large needle, like 0.8mm. Otherwise, you have to thin it and you will have matching problems. If you thin your clear coat too much its also tricky because you risk yellowing after applying to many layers in order to match the OEM clear coat thickness.

Touchup paints in general are designed to replicate the finished product of the OEM not necessarily be an OEM replacement. They are meant for repair. The aerosol clear coat, for example, is usually water based and will never be quite as hard as thick as a oil based clear.

Mind you, in the picture I did not apply any clearcoat and literally just slapped it on a Post-it note. No silver and no attempt to blend whatsoever. Straight out of the bottle

Last edited by dqban; 03-11-2018 at 09:04 PM.
post #9 of 17 Old 03-12-2018, 04:02 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Garage
OK, thanks.

We can't get colour rite here and all the paint companies here sell it Triton Blue as a 3 stage plus primer
post #10 of 17 Old 03-12-2018, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhuketPaul View Post
OK, thanks.

We can't get colour rite here and all the paint companies here sell it Triton Blue as a 3 stage plus primer
thats too bad.....of all the paint repair companies ive ever used color rite is by far the best. Their stuff always matches well for me (except aerosols!)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page