Black widow exhaust, K&N, holeshot tuner, and throttle tamer - Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum
User Tag List

5Likes
  • 5 Post By Fat Pat

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 04-30-2018, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Black widow exhaust, K&N, holeshot tuner, and throttle tamer

Busy weekend for me! I installed the complete holeshot tuner package: O2 bypass, PAIR block, K&N, throttle tamer, and fuel tuner. His instructions were super easy to follow - Holeshot Performance Products, Inc.

I also installed Black Widow headers (with the stock slip on) and a Healtech servo eliminator.

I started with the K&N air filter, and that was about as easy of an install as you can get. Pop off the cover and swap the filters. I removed the restrictor plate and blocked the PAIR valve. It probably took less than 10 minutes for this one. With the tank up, I also installed the O2 sensor delete. Plug and play with that one as well. Throttle tamer was next. Having an air compressor really helped getting the grip off. The OEM throttle tube has a flange with a sharp edge. It cut my grip a bit, but not enough that I couldn't reuse it.
Had I taken a bit more care, I could have gotten it off clean. Once that's off, everything else just slides into place. Last bit was the tuner. It was as easy as running the wires, plugging in the connectors, and zip ties to button up the slack. It really couldn't have been any easier.

On to the exhaust. I removed the servo motor and added the healtech servo eliminator. The healtech install should have been quick, but Suzuki brilliantly placed the connectors between a plate on the subframe and the battery tray. It was a bit tricky, but I got it done. Removing the servo motor wasn't bad, and I didn't take off the shock. I have fairly nimble hands. I tried to take pics, but it's buried pretty good, so not much to see. You have to take it apart piece by piece and pull things out as you go.

The headers took longer than it should have, but I was taking my time. If I did it again, I can probably knock it out in under 2 hours. Black Widow doesn't provide very detailed instructions. They start by saying you're on your own getting the stock exhaust off. Not too big of a deal, and luckily there is enough info out there to get it done. Black Widow's install instructions basically say to bolt it on and you're done! It's not rocket science, but they could have had better pictures.

Lessons learned: While it's possible to install the headers with the radiator on, it would have been much easier to take it off. Also, if you're not going to completely take the bike apart, be patient. I had to maneuver my hands and find the right way to access each bolt. Patience got me though it.

Sorry for the novel. On to the good stuff! How does it perform? Amazing! I only put on a few miles, but the tuner and throttle tamer made the throttle roll on SILKY smooth. Dale at Holeshot really has a good thing going, they have excellent customer service. For reference, I don't think my bike was particularly snatchy, but it's absolutely not snatchy now. The butt dyno can definitely feel the extra power. I feel like every gear pulls just as hard as first. I never had much wheelie action in second, and it was getting a bit lofty at 3/4's throttle.

As for the exhaust... At idle I think it sounds good, but not great. The sound clip is a good comparison, but the iPhone audio quality isn't exactly right. It sounds better in person. On the throttle, I love it! Not too loud, and you really hear the motor come alive.

Video comparing the sound - https://youtu.be/djKS5LcrTXw

Pics:

post #2 of 4 Old 04-30-2018, 02:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Garage
Congratulations, great work! If I can ask why you did not choose an ecu reflash? Also I mount Black widow headers with original exhaust and pipercross air filter but not to add O2 bypass, throttle tamer, and fuel tuner I simply solved with reflash.

Gassssssss........................
post #3 of 4 Old 04-30-2018, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris.81 View Post
Congratulations, great work! If I can ask why you did not choose an ecu reflash? Also I mount Black widow headers with original exhaust and pipercross air filter but not to add O2 bypass, throttle tamer, and fuel tuner I simply solved with reflash.
I went with the fuel tuner because itís cheaper than an ECU reflash, and I can install it myself in minutes. Plus, I was confident that the hole shot tuner would come with a proper tune.

post #4 of 4 Old 05-01-2018, 02:34 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Pat View Post
Busy weekend for me! I installed the complete holeshot tuner package: O2 bypass, PAIR block, K&N, throttle tamer, and fuel tuner. His instructions were super easy to follow - Holeshot Performance Products, Inc.

I also installed Black Widow headers (with the stock slip on) and a Healtech servo eliminator.

I started with the K&N air filter, and that was about as easy of an install as you can get. Pop off the cover and swap the filters. I removed the restrictor plate and blocked the PAIR valve. It probably took less than 10 minutes for this one. With the tank up, I also installed the O2 sensor delete. Plug and play with that one as well. Throttle tamer was next. Having an air compressor really helped getting the grip off. The OEM throttle tube has a flange with a sharp edge. It cut my grip a bit, but not enough that I couldn't reuse it.
Had I taken a bit more care, I could have gotten it off clean. Once that's off, everything else just slides into place. Last bit was the tuner. It was as easy as running the wires, plugging in the connectors, and zip ties to button up the slack. It really couldn't have been any easier.

On to the exhaust. I removed the servo motor and added the healtech servo eliminator. The healtech install should have been quick, but Suzuki brilliantly placed the connectors between a plate on the subframe and the battery tray. It was a bit tricky, but I got it done. Removing the servo motor wasn't bad, and I didn't take off the shock. I have fairly nimble hands. I tried to take pics, but it's buried pretty good, so not much to see. You have to take it apart piece by piece and pull things out as you go.

The headers took longer than it should have, but I was taking my time. If I did it again, I can probably knock it out in under 2 hours. Black Widow doesn't provide very detailed instructions. They start by saying you're on your own getting the stock exhaust off. Not too big of a deal, and luckily there is enough info out there to get it done. Black Widow's install instructions basically say to bolt it on and you're done! It's not rocket science, but they could have had better pictures.

Lessons learned: While it's possible to install the headers with the radiator on, it would have been much easier to take it off. Also, if you're not going to completely take the bike apart, be patient. I had to maneuver my hands and find the right way to access each bolt. Patience got me though it.

Sorry for the novel. On to the good stuff! How does it perform? Amazing! I only put on a few miles, but the tuner and throttle tamer made the throttle roll on SILKY smooth. Dale at Holeshot really has a good thing going, they have excellent customer service. For reference, I don't think my bike was particularly snatchy, but it's absolutely not snatchy now. The butt dyno can definitely feel the extra power. I feel like every gear pulls just as hard as first. I never had much wheelie action in second, and it was getting a bit lofty at 3/4's throttle.

As for the exhaust... At idle I think it sounds good, but not great. The sound clip is a good comparison, but the iPhone audio quality isn't exactly right. It sounds better in person. On the throttle, I love it! Not too loud, and you really hear the motor come alive.

Video comparing the sound - https://youtu.be/djKS5LcrTXw

Pics:

Hey buddy thanks for your story! Great detail and information. I like that you used your stock slip on with the headers. From the outside it looks stock. I don't mind the stock slip on exhaust ( I actually took off a "performance" slip on and went back to std too).
Sounds like your very happy
Thanks again for sharing well done!
Jeffro

Last edited by Jeffro; 05-01-2018 at 02:40 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page