Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum

Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum (https://www.gsxs1000.org/forum/)
-   What did you do to your GSXS 1000 today? (https://www.gsxs1000.org/forum/what-did-you-do-your-gsxs-1000-today/)
-   -   Heat Shield Mount (https://www.gsxs1000.org/forum/what-did-you-do-your-gsxs-1000-today/41638-heat-shield-mount.html)

Dmac2187 06-30-2018 03:39 PM

Heat Shield Mount

2 Attachment(s)
I swapped out the stock exhaust with Arrow headers and wanted to keep the stock can, at least for now. Unfortunately, there is nothing to bolt the front of the heat shield to because it use to mount to the stock muffler. I created this bracket out of a stainless conduit hanger, along with a bolt, a few nuts and washers, and it seems to work pretty well.

dekker 07-01-2018 05:26 AM

Well done that's what I like to see, someone prepared to make an effort themselves rather than asking others how to do it.

dfossati 07-01-2018 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dmac2187 (Post 363314)
I swapped out the stock exhaust with Arrow headers and wanted to keep the stock can, at least for now. Unfortunately, there is nothing to bolt the front of the heat shield to because it use to mount to the stock muffler. I created this bracket out of a stainless conduit hanger, along with a bolt, a few nuts and washers, and it seems to work pretty well.

I've been trying to think of a way to get mine back on without welding. This looks awesome. Thanks for the idea.

Rapido1 07-02-2018 02:52 PM

I just finished installing Arrow headers. They did come with a longer metal bracket that is for the heat shield. It did not line up with the stock hole in the shield, so I drilled a new one in the correct spot and plugged the stock hole with a small black plastic push-pin fastener. Looks great.
Did you not see the longer bracket that came with the headers?

Dmac2187 07-02-2018 10:34 PM

Thanks for the compliments above. I bought them second hand, they didn't come with the brackets. I posted the idea for anyone to use if they were in the same situation, regardless of the manufacturer of the pipes they might have. I could have bent a piece of metal to make a bracket too, but decided to give this solution a shot instead.

Rapido1 07-03-2018 01:51 PM

What does the shield screw screw in to? Or is that one long bolt that goes through the shield to the pipe collar? What is the black round piece looks like a rubber grommet just inside the shield? If you have another one, can you show us the individual pieces?

I’m about to install an Akra muffler that comes with a carbon fiber shield, really don’t want to drill a new hole in that one.

Rusty 07-03-2018 01:59 PM

Dmac, Good job. Looks professional. Just curious: What is the difference in the sound level now that you have basically eliminated the cat but are still using the stock can? Thanks.

Dmac2187 07-05-2018 03:12 PM

Rapido1 - it is one long bolt that goes through the grommet in the heat shield that screws into a nut in the pipe clamp. The tang on the rear of the heat shield holds it on to the muffler, this bracket just holds the front in place. I used a bolt that has a shoulder because I think it looks better, but that allows the front of the shield so slide slightly on the bolt. I pushed a rubber spacer (the black thing) from a old pair of bar ends onto the shoulder of the bolt to snug the shield up to head of the bolt. You can use a fully threaded bolt and put a nut on the backside of the shield instead to do exactly the same thing.

Dmac2187 07-05-2018 03:20 PM

9 Attachment(s)
Rusty - the bike has the same exhaust tone as with the stock exhaust but it is considerably louder. It's difficult to quantify, but for me it's not too loud and I like how it sounds. It definitely let's the car in the lane next to me know I'm there.