LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 10-21-2018, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Talking tyres and tps

To day was the day I replaced those bloody Dunlop tyre and replaced with Michelin road 5 tyres ,set the tps to 1.13 volts taken for a test ride and what a difference, no more snatching throttle and smooth all way to the end of rev range and no more jerking throttle at 3000 rpm a new bike .Now the bike turn into corner really nicely and throttle response is smooth. Problem solved SHOULD OF DONE IT MOUTHS A GO. Dunlop tyre ****** at 5000 miles.
post #2 of 18 Old 10-21-2018, 11:36 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Garage
I went from stock Dunlops after 6.6K miles to new R5s and what a difference! I love them. I also have the harness on the way to do the VM TPS adjustment (although mine seems to run fine the way it is).
post #3 of 18 Old 10-22-2018, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Iím getting a Road 5 fitted tomorrow. Iím hoping the cold temps will suit it better than the 3 Metzler 7rrís I ran last year.
Theyíve got a lot to live up to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pull my finger

post #4 of 18 Old 10-22-2018, 11:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
I’m getting a Road 5 fitted tomorrow. I’m hoping the cold temps will suit it better than the 3 Metzler 7rr’s I ran last year.
They’ve got a lot to live up to
This is a close-up of my rear R5 @5000km. The first one was ruined @ 2000 km by a bad puncture. This one punctured recently but was repairable. It's holding its profile supremely well and you can clearly see where the soft compound is. Both this tyre and the Metzler 01's I ran previously are 55 profile. The R5 must have a significantly higher crown than the 01. I had no trouble wearing the 01 right to the edge but I still have 5-6mm to the edge without wear on the R5 despite my best efforts . Being an anal engineer, I made a template of the 01 profile and must do the same for the 55 profile R5 to compare them.

Hope you enjoy them in the UK Autumn/Winter - my experience so far is that they're exceptional, punctures excepted!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181023_164110.jpg (133.0 KB, 48 views)

Last edited by Kiwi Geoff; 10-23-2018 at 12:58 AM.
post #5 of 18 Old 10-23-2018, 02:21 AM

tyres and tps

Cheers Geoff
Thanks for the pic. I had read you blog and it helped me make my mind up. Also my 7rr is just about to touch the wear markers at 5000 kmís which is probably why it punctured.
If I get the same mileage as you out of the R5ís Iíll be a happy bunny as there is only about 10 quid difference in price.
Mikeís old and slow so Iíll ignore his recommendations

Kiwi Geoff and oldjackbob like this.

Pull my finger
post #6 of 18 Old 10-30-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike d View Post
Well, I am old and I tell people I'm slow, but I think USSENTERNCC1701E can testify that I can pretty much keep up. I think I agree about the higher crown. I't is definitely noticeable even on the 50 profile. I've had a couple wet, cold days here and, so far, the tires are really impressing me.
Thanks Mike. Just thought I would slip that comment in to see if you were paying attention.

I've got the rear one fitted now. (Still got the 7RR on the front) I haven't had time to really test it yet but I am enjoying actually having a profile on my tyre.
I hadn't realised how flat the old one was or how adversely it was affecting the handling. It's a bit cold over here now for pushing things and giving it a proper shakedown but in TC3 and nailing it off a few of my favourite corners I'm not seeing the TC light come on at all. I used to with the OEM Dunlops. So at least I know these are better than what I started on. I think I'll wait for the spring before I go looking for their limits. I must be getting old too
Stay safe.
Kiwi Geoff likes this.

Pull my finger
post #7 of 18 Old 10-30-2018, 02:21 PM

Garage
Quote:
I think I'll wait for the spring before I go looking for their limits. I must be getting old too
Stay safe.
I AM old . Had my 71st birthday 2 weeks ago. Hasn't stopped me enjoying the grip from the Road 5's though
post #8 of 18 Old 10-30-2018, 02:33 PM

Belated happy birthday
Itís all just a number Geoff. Youíre beating me by a few. I hope Iím still fit enough to do the miles you do when I catch you up.....and that youíre giving me a new target to reach

Pull my finger
post #9 of 18 Old 10-30-2018, 02:43 PM

Garage
Quote:
Belated happy birthday
Itís all just a number Geoff. Youíre beating me by a few. I hope Iím still fit enough to do the miles you do when I catch you up.....and that youíre giving me a new target to reach

Many thanks Beaker! I'm increasingly thinking of giving up my role as an IAM examiner next year, simply as it's taking up too much time. No plans to give up riding though. Not sure that the GSX-S is the best bike for more socially-oriented riding, especially for an ageing short arse . Something like a T120 or a low seat 765 Triple might be the way to go.

Safe riding in the UK winter!
post #10 of 18 Old 11-01-2018, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Geoff View Post
Many thanks Beaker! I'm increasingly thinking of giving up my role as an IAM examiner next year, simply as it's taking up too much time. No plans to give up riding though. Not sure that the GSX-S is the best bike for more socially-oriented riding, especially for an ageing short arse . Something like a T120 or a low seat 765 Triple might be the way to go.

Safe riding in the UK winter!

I would definitely go with the triple 765... what a nice bike.

Envoyť de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
Kiwi Geoff likes this.

../Bruno

GSX-S1000F 2018 (my ride now)
F800GT 2015 (sold)
CB500X 2013 (sold)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page