Nitron shock and 2019 Katana throttle tube - Page 2 - Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum
User Tag List

29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 31 Old 08-28-2019, 07:24 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
I don’t like any slack in the throttle..
I’ve noticed that as the euro pollution police get more stringent the throttle snatch on most bikes is getting
Worse.
Some manufacturers can still get it right with smooth throttle control but most can’t?
First thing I did with the gsxs was woolich and then try and set up the stock suspension.
You can sort of get the stock suspension in the ball park but that rear shock is making life hard to set things up.
If your having problems over bumps with the throttle try dialing in a click or two of rebound on the front forks
and see if that helps.
post #12 of 31 Old 08-28-2019, 09:46 PM

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
I agree what Jeff's above post is very correct. A small amount is built in down at the throttle body end, (1 mm on each cable) anyway at the designed adjustment setting.
EFI has been been around for close to 20 years now, and if they could truly simulate mechanical carbies close off/open latency it would have happened by now on all bikes.
Ride by wire is getting close, but it's no way perfect. Then there is the rubber cush drive and it's slop.

I've wondered if you could fit some sort of air damper externally to the ECU controlled throttle body butterfly that would have the same effect ?
Problem is OEM's are looking for every bit of pollution savings I suppose.
I remember a GSX-R 750 Forum post some 10+ years back where a Guy dismantled the TB's and removed the EFI operated butterflies and claimed 100% improved throttle control, just like a carburetor action.
Wonder what the result would be with today's system ?

Rob.
frog4aday likes this.
post #13 of 31 Old 08-28-2019, 09:49 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Garage
I'm still amazed at what a nicely tuned carb can do in comparison. Analog vs digital. (maybe that's why the hipsters are dragging out grandpa's vinyl records).
frog4aday likes this.

post #14 of 31 Old 08-28-2019, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Mate of mine had the 07 R1 with the ride by wire throttle and it felt really weird hard to explain like your disconnected?,maybe the newer stuff has being dialled in better or over time you adjust and it become second nature. For me I prefer to have a cable and in control of it. I also have a Gsx1400 and the fuelling is lovely the connection between throttle and rear tyre is sublime, the more I ride the gsx the more I've adapted to the nature of the fuelling, could it be better? Yeah but I've had a diet of litre sportsbikes for the last 20yrs so you learn to be smooth and feel what the rear tyre is doing.
post #15 of 31 Old 08-29-2019, 12:14 AM

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Garage
Blah blah, I'm right, blah blah. That's what I read.
post #16 of 31 Old 08-29-2019, 01:10 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerded Wanderer View Post

frog4aday likes this.
post #17 of 31 Old 08-29-2019, 04:14 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
lol

Last edited by Kneedown69; 08-29-2019 at 06:39 AM.
post #18 of 31 Old 08-29-2019, 08:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Haha. It's all good. The one thing I do like about the abrupt throttle is indeed the RIGHT NOW response to your right hand. In most of my cars I've always installed a Sprint Booster to get that response more immediate than what the manufacturer puts in, so I do like a responsive throttle. On a bike though that's much lighter and more sensitive to bumps on the road it can be a bit much as it sits.

I am adjusting to it because after not riding the Triumph for a while after getting the GSX, I put it's normal ride mode from Rain all the way to Sport. It's still not as touchy as the Suzuki but you do adapt to it.

Between adjusting to it with your brain & muscle memory and the small tweaks to the bike it does get a bit better. Having said that, I ordered a booster plug yesterday so will see it's effect on the bike.

2018 Suzuki GSX-S1000

2019 Triumph Speed Twin
post #19 of 31 Old 08-29-2019, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Gixxus_Lou,
The 'right now' throttle can be fun. I had a Ford Mustang rental with the V-8 once and thought, "This is going to be great!" I got on the interstate and had some clear road ahead, so I hit the gas. The engine spooled up, then the transmission loaded up and THEN (finally) the acceleration occurred. I was just stunned. It was ridiculous. Like pulling a rubber band back, then letting it go. Almost like waiting for a turbo (anyone remember turbo lag?)

My CBR929 was RIGHTNOW! with throttle input whereas the CBR954 was more smooth and gradual, like a carbureted bike. The CBR954 was so much better in the corners, but the 929 'felt' faster and more entertaining. Funny how things can be like that.

I think the Gixxus strikes a decent balance between quick acceleration but without being as abrupt as that old 929 was, which helps. I can just imagine how smooth and silky things could be if the bike builders didn't have to cut all fuel in off-throttle to account for emissions. But I get it - 6 billion people on the planet and still growing. Gotta do something about the stuff spitting out the exhaust so we can all keep breathing 'good' air. Still...I miss the way a dialed in, carbureted bike felt coming on throttle...sssmmmooooottttttthhhhhh.
mike d and oldjackbob like this.
post #20 of 31 Old 08-29-2019, 03:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
My 2016 Mustang GT is a manual (only way I'd have it) so none of that waiting for the auto to do it's thing … although I hear the new 10 speed auto tranny in the 2018+ is quite good.

2018 Suzuki GSX-S1000

2019 Triumph Speed Twin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page