29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 08-28-2019, 06:13 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Nitron shock and 2019 Katana throttle tube

Hi all just brought used 2015 gsxs1000 as mentioned in previous posts first impressions of the bike were the sensitive throttle and crap rear shock. Anyway, replaced the shock with Nitron setup on shock dyno sprung for my weight and it feels great, also installed Katana throttle tube and whilst it isnt a radical difference it has smoothed the throttle a bit. My bike is stock apart from Yoshi slipon which was on it when I brought it all I've done was tps check using dash mode and taking the excessive throttle slack out. Overall bike feels 100% better than when I picked it up and I am happy so far.
post #2 of 31 Old 08-28-2019, 08:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Too bad the Katana tube isn't much of a change.

Interesting how you took the excess throttle slack out to improve the touchy throttle. I tried that last weekend and it was way worse. Every little bump in the road meant the throttle moved. I put about 4mm of slack back in so it now absorbs the movement caused by the bumps without the bike lurching back & forth.

I don't find the rear shock bad when comparing to my previous rides (and my current Triumph which rides harsher) so I'm not convinced it's a worthy upgrade yet.

2018 Suzuki GSX-S1000

Blue rim tape / Fender eliminator / Pazzo levers

2019 Triumph Speed Twin (for sale soon ...)
post #3 of 31 Old 08-28-2019, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Garage
Bumps in the road don't do anything to your throttle

post #4 of 31 Old 08-28-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerded Wanderer View Post
What?! They absolutely do when you're gripping said throttle and it's got no play/slack in it.

2018 Suzuki GSX-S1000

post #5 of 31 Old 08-28-2019, 12:27 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerded Wanderer View Post

Hahahahahaha....thats one of the most wrong things ive read on this site.

New fork internals absolutely killed what was left of my finicky throttle.

Having to ride on a coblestone street daily, i can assure you every little bump and vibration translated straight into the handlebar and throttle, until i upgraded the forks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 31 Old 08-28-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dqban View Post
Hahahahahaha....thats one of the most wrong things ive read on this site.
Lol. I thought so too.

2018 Suzuki GSX-S1000

post #7 of 31 Old 08-28-2019, 01:57 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
You nailed it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kneedown69 View Post
Hi all just brought used 2015 gsxs1000 as mentioned in previous posts first impressions of the bike were the sensitive throttle and crap rear shock. Anyway, replaced the shock with Nitron setup on shock dyno sprung for my weight and it feels great, also installed Katana throttle tube and whilst it isnt a radical difference it has smoothed the throttle a bit. My bike is stock apart from Yoshi slipon which was on it when I brought it all I've done was tps check using dash mode and taking the excessive throttle slack out. Overall bike feels 100% better than when I picked it up and I am happy so far.
Hey Kneedown,
You nailed things right out of the box. Fixed the two biggest 'glitches' with the GSX-S right off the bat. Smart man. When the bike 'fuels' properly (not too abrupt coming off closed throttle) and stays glued to the road without pounding your kidneys into submission, you just have more fun riding and want to do it more often. I hope you keep enjoying your new ride and keep us posted of any new additions.
post #8 of 31 Old 08-28-2019, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Taking out the slack in the throttle makes getting back on the gas more controlled, I still have 1-2mm of slack in there. I guess its what you get used to I prefer having that dead zone between on /off minimal. Below is pic of shock.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1567023597293613247467695808526_1567023623054.jpg (105.5 KB, 17 views)
frog4aday likes this.
post #9 of 31 Old 08-28-2019, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Sorry I should have taken a comparison pic of the Katana throttle tube vs original, my first thoughts were they looked very similar but under closer inspection the Katana tube is slightly different, it has taken the initial on/off transition and smoothed it a bit it isn't night or day mod but I guess they all add up.
post #10 of 31 Old 08-28-2019, 04:40 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
@Kneedown69 , You are right about taking out the slack in the throttle - it gives you more control and it takes some getting used to. But once you adjust to it, it is so much smoother when coming back on throttle from fully off, just as you pointed out. The Katana throttle tube helps with that, too. I can't stand a bike with a bunch of throttle 'free-play' now. It drives me nuts. But that's what I've gotten accustomed to (no free play.)

And @Beerded Wanderer isn't wrong about the bumps having nothing to do with the throttle moving...technically. They don't. But if you are holding onto the bike, with hand on the throttle, it can sure be difficult to not inadvertently cause throttle input under those conditions.

But honestly, this is life with EFI bikes. They are touchy. Sensitive. Not as 'smooth' in response to throttle changes. If a manufacturer could 'mimic' what a great carbureted bike felt like with their EFI system, that would be perfect. Maybe someday...
mike d likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page