• 1 Post By NorthernVA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 01-19-2020, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Went for a ride in 32F Weather!

Rode around Western Loudoun County VA today.

I started at Hillsboro, worked my way up to Lovettsville, then Waterford, Middleburg, Upperville then finally Mt Weather (brrr) and then back home to Hillsboro. Had a good ride; 32F is probably my minimum temp even with all my Hotwired gear (heated insoles, pant and jack liners and gloves). I had everything maxed but my hands were still cold sometimes. Bike was happy for the most part but I think my squared off OEM tire makes initial turn in hesitant. I probably need to replace the tires soon. Otherwise it was a great ride; I even saw the occasional snowflake falling. All the people in cars must have thought I was nuts.

Peter

Last edited by NorthernVA; 01-20-2020 at 10:09 AM.
post #2 of 10 Old 01-20-2020, 05:54 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Nice. This is my first season riding in freezing weather, lowest being low 30s/high 20s, maybe take off a few due to wind chill. Only Hotwired jacket liner and gloves for heat, recently added Koso Apollo grips which are nice. Was kind of fun with all the heat for short 1 hr jaunts. Tempted to tempt fate and see how low I can push it...

Definitely need to get a set of heated insoles and pant liners for next season. Wondering if our charging system can handle all that load?

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 10 Old 01-20-2020, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I was wondering about the charging system too. I run my gear thru an Eastern Beaver 4CS harness. The pants and insoles are on 1 10amp circuit and the jacket and gloves are on another 10 amp circuit. With everything on high I have not gone thru a 10 amp fuse for either. I had to dig around online and I saw that the alternator puts out 385 watts. Revzilla states that:

Jacket 6.2 amps
Gloves 2.2 amps
8.4 amps

Pants 3.2 amps
Insoles 1.5 amps
4.7 amps

Total = 13.1amps = (at 12V) 157.2 watts So I'm using less than 1/2 of the alternators total capacity. Now of course the alternator needs to run lights and the ignition system, etc so its needs power too. I think I'm ok assuming all the provided figures are correct. In theory 2 10 amp circuits could be pulling 240 watts which is quite a bit more. I have a USB charging port on my F that also reports voltage. While riding my voltage seems to stay between 13.8 and 14.1.

Do you think the Koso grips make a big difference in the warmth of your hands as opposed to just the gloves' heat alone? I was also wondering about these (Barkbuster Blizzard) to shield my hands for the wind better. $99 seems kinda pricey for what they do tho...

Peter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg barkbusters_blizzard_universal_fit_cold_weather_handguard_750x750.jpg (27.8 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by NorthernVA; 01-20-2020 at 10:05 AM.

post #4 of 10 Old 01-20-2020, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernVA View Post
I was wondering about the charging system too. I run my gear thru an Eastern Beaver 4CS harness. The pants and insoles are on 1 10amp circuit and the jacket and gloves are on another 10 amp circuit. With everything on high I have not gone thru a 10 amp fuse for either. I had to dig around online and I saw that the alternator puts out 385 watts. Revzilla states that:

Jacket 6.2 amps
Gloves 2.2 amps
8.4 amps

Pants 3.2 amps
Insoles 1.5 amps
4.7 amps

Total = 13.1amps = (at 12V) 157.2 watts So I'm using less than 1/2 of the alternators total capacity. Now of course the alternator needs to run lights and the ignition system, etc so its needs power too. I think I'm ok assuming all the provided figures are correct. In theory 2 10 amp circuits could be pulling 240 watts which is quite a bit more. I have a USB charging port on my F that also reports voltage. While riding my voltage seems to stay between 13.8 and 14.1.

Do you think the Koso grips make a big difference in the warmth of your hands as opposed to just the gloves' heat alone? I was also wondering about these (Barkbuster Blizzard) to shield my hands for the wind better. $99 seems kinda pricey for what they do tho...

Peter
I only tested the Koso's a couple of times so far, once around 30F with heated gloves and the other around 40F with short sport leather gloves. It's early but I don't dislike them. At least, I prefer having them than not. I never got that burn your hands feeling that I heard about with the Oxfords though, but I don't think those people were riding in as low of temps. Maybe I'm wrong.

My only nitpicky complaint is that the integrated control switch adds a bit of thickness which might make the grips feel a little uneven, something I haven't heard anyone else ever complain about. Good excuse to get one of those Go Cruise throttle locks to even it out, I guess. I have a different handlebar installed, originally sized for longer grips, so I had extra space to push in the clutch side grip.

In regards to the heated gear, do you need a separate fuse? Doesn't the Hotwired wiring have one built in? I'd assume it should handle their heated gear lineup in its entirety.

post #5 of 10 Old 01-20-2020, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxsdave View Post
In regards to the heated gear, do you need a separate fuse? Doesn't the Hotwired wiring have one built in? I'd assume it should handle their heated gear lineup in its entirety.
You are right. You can use the Hotwired harnesses and connect them directly to the battery and you would be all set. If you got the pants and insoles you would then have two connectors going to the battery (1 for jacket liner/gloves and 1 for pants liner/insoles). In my case I thought it would be more tidy to have just the Eastern Beaver 4CS connect to the battery and then I could connect everything else to it (instead of the battery). Plus that would make all the Hotwired gear switched (as in only on when the ignition is on). So I took the Hotwired supplied harnesses and cut the battery connectors off them and then I connected them to waterproof connectors that plug directly into the 4CS.

The first picture shows the Hotwired lead going to a sealer connector.
The second picture shows both leads coming out so I can plug them into the pants and jacket. Ignore the other wire in the background; that is a loop from the batter tender that strayed into the picture.

Once again tho; you can just connect to the battery with the Hotwired supplied leads and be done with it.

Peter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6700-smaller.jpg (70.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6701-smaller.jpg (374.9 KB, 6 views)
post #6 of 10 Old 01-20-2020, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernVA View Post
You are right. You can use the Hotwired harnesses and connect them directly to the battery and you would be all set. If you got the pants and insoles you would then have two connectors going to the battery (1 for jacket liner/gloves and 1 for pants liner/insoles). In my case I thought it would be more tidy to have just the Eastern Beaver 4CS connect to the battery and then I could connect everything else to it (instead of the battery). Plus that would make all the Hotwired gear switched (as in only on when the ignition is on). So I took the Hotwired supplied harnesses and cut the battery connectors off them and then I connected them to waterproof connectors that plug directly into the 4CS.

The first picture shows the Hotwired lead going to a sealer connector.

The second picture shows both leads coming out so I can plug them into the pants and jacket. Ignore the other wire in the background; that is a loop from the batter tender that strayed into the picture.

Once again tho; you can just connect to the battery with the Hotwired supplied leads and be done with it.

Peter
Oh, I thought the insoles, pants, jacket, and gloves all plugged into each other and terminated at one connector?

post #7 of 10 Old 01-20-2020, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Insoles plug into the pants (at the ankles). Gloves plug into the jacket at sleeves. But, pants and jacket are plugged separately into the bike. With that said, it looks like HotWired does make a short "Y" splitter; so you could have just 1 harness connected to the battery and use the Y splitter to plug in the pants and jacket. That might be a good way to go.

Peter
gsxsdave likes this.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-20-2020, 09:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
If you see me riding in 32 degree weather its because someone is holding a gun to one of my loved ones and making me do it.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-21-2020, 01:13 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Garage
Interesting stuff regarding the heated gear. I used to try to run widder top and bottom on my old FZ1 and it couldn't handle it as the charging system wasn't designed for all of that. I ended up selling it and picking up an FJR that more than handles my heated gear I'm running now with Gerbing top and bottom and heated grips. I've wondered about the GSX-S but when It's cold I prefer the wind protection of the FJR and know my charging system will hold up. I'll be interested in anyone's long term results running heated gear on the GSX-S as I'd consider dropping in a connector onto the bike and take it for a cold spin every now and then.

My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 Suzuki GSX-S1000 | 1998 KTM 250 EXC | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
post #10 of 10 Old 01-22-2020, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerjasen View Post
I'll be interested in anyone's long term results running heated gear on the GSX-S as I'd consider dropping in a connector onto the bike and take it for a cold spin every now and then.
I'd be happy to report my experience. It's very likely I'll continue to use heated gear thru mid/late March.

Peter
gixxerjasen likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page