1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 09-08-2016, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Track tyres advice

I'm picking up a cbr600f this weekend which I intend on using as a track toy but also I want to use it on the road. Tbh i have a massive soft spot for this bike & hondas in general, ive soon realised i cant do without one in my life.
I've bought another set of wheels so I can have general use tyres and track tyres on the other, I may even buy another set so I can run wets when needed.

What tyres should I look at getting? Are wets needed? I'm in the uk after all...

I must point out I've never done a track day before, I'm not a great rider by any means and will not be going like a tit until my skill has grown. I am a pretty good/competent road rider but I know that's totally different.

I have got a trailer to cart it to the track, I don't intend on using the tyres to commute to the track first.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
post #2 of 14 Old 09-08-2016, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I normally run a fast intermediate to slow advance pace and still can run a good DOT Supersport tire like Bridgestone S21, or Dunlop Q3, or Metzler M5.

They provide more than enough grip, don't require tire warmers, and you should get decent life out of them until you get faster.
LEAVEITSTOCK likes this.
post #3 of 14 Old 09-08-2016, 06:08 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Garage
With tyre technology these days, you could run road tyres for your first few track days and be happy. My first ever track experience was on a Hyosung GT250r with the stock Shinko tyres. I still managed to embarass a couple of Kawasaki 650r's in the twisties.

Like WERA803 said, good sports tyres like he mentioned, as well as the Michelin Pilot Power 2CT's or Power 3's will suit you admirably well. If you get addicted (you will) then you can look at adding tyre warmers for those tyres next before making the jump to slicks, which really do feel heaps better on your first couple of laps if you have warmers on them first.

As important as tyres, I'd also consider adding some braided lines, good brake fluid and some better pads (something sintered like EBC's HH pads, for instance). Brake fade can come in quite quickly as you first start to pick up your pace and start braking harder and deeper into the corners.

2010 Ducati 1098 Streetfighter S
2016 Suzuki GSXS-1000
2008 Suzuki Hayabusa
2007 Honda CBR600RR
2007 Hyosung GT250R

post #4 of 14 Old 09-09-2016, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the responses guys.
I will look into these models, I've actually had 3 sets of 2CTs and they were fantastic but wasn't sure if they were up to track use.

As for braided lines these will be fitted asap anyway as the bike is 15 years old with the original manufacturer's lines, I'd be stupid to push those hard.

The ebc hh pads I've heard nothing but good things about, are they any good on the road or just track? I will still use it on the road

post #5 of 14 Old 09-09-2016, 07:29 PM

Garage
2CT's love the track! Lots of grip, plenty of feel. Basically everything they do well on the road, they do well on the track. Don't forget to lower your tyre pressures before you head out on the track as well.

The EBC HH pads are great for the road. No extra noise, great stopping power from cold and last well.

Sounds like you've got everything handled to have an awesome track day tool to have some serious fun on!

2016 Suzuki GSXS-1000
2008 Suzuki Hayabusa
2007 Honda CBR600RR
2007 Hyosung GT250R
post #6 of 14 Old 09-09-2016, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESXB0Y View Post
2CT's love the track! Lots of grip, plenty of feel. Basically everything they do well on the road, they do well on the track. Don't forget to lower your tyre pressures before you head out on the track as well.

The EBC HH pads are great for the road. No extra noise, great stopping power from cold and last well.

Sounds like you've got everything handled to have an awesome track day tool to have some serious fun on!
Great stuff!
I will continue to read up on all the tyres but I know those 2cts are awesome.

I have been swatting up for the track requirements, still need better boots (I wear street boots), a leather suit (mine are textile) and a new helmet (just over 5 years old)
I can't wait to rip it up SAFELY, you just can't do that on the road.

post #7 of 14 Old 09-09-2016, 08:28 PM

Garage
I would also suggest adding a back protector to the shopping list. We all hope never to go down, but for the added peace of mind I believe it is worth it.

I've had a pair of Alpinestars S-MX 5 boots for about 5 years now that I would recommend. Worn them on the commutes and at all my track days. Reasonably priced, full height protection, and last VERY well indeed. I've also heard great things about RST boots. Looking to buy a pair of these so I can cycle between the two pairs to extend the life out of them.

One tip, which I apologise if I'm preaching to the converted, make sure to wear in any new gear a few times before you head to the track for the day. Stiff leathers make for an uncomfortable experience.

Also, take some snacks and plenty of water!

If you get serious about it, investing in a cheap pop-up awning to give you some much needed shade is also a good idea. Chuck a couple of fold up camping chairs in the back as well and you're well sorted for a comfortable and enjoyable experience!

2016 Suzuki GSXS-1000
2008 Suzuki Hayabusa
2007 Honda CBR600RR
2007 Hyosung GT250R
post #8 of 14 Old 09-27-2016, 07:52 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thank you for all the tips guys.

I have bought and fitted michelin 2cts, ebc hh brake pads. I bought braided brake lines too but I'm arguing with the seller at present because they are too long and fittings are at the wrong angles. With the bike on the deck the one line is mm from the radiator with compressing the forks. The seller is on holiday until Friday so don't see it getting resolved soon so I might just get a different set and send others back.

Protection wise ive got myself a agv k5 helmet, dainese back protector and alpinestars matching track pants. I'm aware I should get a one piece suit but I cannot find one that fits properly, I'm oddly sized compared to the norm, 5ft 8 49" chest 32" waist and 29" inseam. I'm short and stocky . I think in the long run I will have to get a custom suit made because nothing comes close, if the top half fits the bottom half is 8-10" too big and if the bottom fits in can't get my arm in the sleeve.

post #9 of 14 Old 09-27-2016, 07:53 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Oh and took esxboy advice and got a set of rst boots with are get value and fit really well

post #10 of 14 Old 09-27-2016, 04:21 PM

Garage
Sounds like you are all sorted. Awesome!

Such a shame that you are having trouble with your brake line supplier. I hope it gets resolved favourably and promptly when he's back.

I feel your pain with leathers. I'm only a couple of inches off your chest measurement with the same waist, but I'm 6'2" with long legs. I can either smuggle a family of four in the space around my gut when the top is comfortable, or I have to stand very straight, as the first hint of trying to fold up onto the bike feels like I'm being castrated. I had some success with an Ixon one-piece for my first suit. It wasn't too tight around the family jewels when crouched, and I found a leather repair guy at a round of NZ Superbikes that adjusted the midsection so there wasn't so much excess material, so they may be worth a try for you?

There's a couple of guys around that do custom suits from scratch, so with a bit of research you should find a company that works. If you are feeling flush, however, I do know Dainese do a custom fitting service.

Which RST boots did you get?

When are you planning on hitting the track and which track are you going to go to? Make sure to post a write-up of your experience so anyone else that may be contemplating their first track day excursion gets a feel of what to expect. The more we get hooked, the bette r- as they'll put on more track days to cope with increased demand. We all win!

2016 Suzuki GSXS-1000
2008 Suzuki Hayabusa
2007 Honda CBR600RR
2007 Hyosung GT250R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page