LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 06-07-2017, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Got my first Pirelli tire!

Hi,

As the title says, I purchased my first Pirelli tire ever today: a Diablo Rosso III in 190/55ZR17 for the back.

I am just happy to get back some traction in the back. Sharing happiness!

My stock Dunlop had nothing left in the middle at 6500km, pushed it to almost 7000km but the lasts miles were not fun at all (TC=3). I am taking it easy for now to complete break in safely. I am keeping it in TC=3 at all time for a bit. I am at only 30km on the tire so far. Time will tell how good of a choice I made.

I am planning on making the gearing shorter to compensate for the back tire since the increase, and then some more. Likely -1 teeth in the front and +2 tooth in the back. Needless to say I already wanted shorter gearing before the tire change.

So far:
-I immediately noticed the back is standing higher. I think I like the new stance, it's a bit more aggressive, the bike probably wants to lean in curves more easily/earlier. It will probably help slightly to keep the bike on the ground once I go with shorter gearing too, which is a plus to me. Not a fan of continuous wheelies.
-the tire seems to be easier to lean. It feels more round. I like it. But that could also be me getting used to ride with a back wear/square tire. I bet its a combination of that, the Pirelli tire construction itself , and the new tire size.
-Did not experience any slippage. Much better than with my Dunlop on its first few miles. That's a good start!

Looking forward to take it out of TC=3 by tomorrow! Now I just need the weather to allow me to give the bike a few miles!
caynam and TheDude like this.
post #2 of 16 Old 06-07-2017, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
I had the Rosso 3 on the rear of an RSV4... lovely tyre and the first Pirelli I've found tht didn't much warm up time....good sporty choice
danGTS likes this.
post #3 of 16 Old 06-07-2017, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Sounds good! I'm almost jaleous on the RSV4 with Rosso III!
That's pretty much why I bough this bike: 90% of the sport bike performance, but more comfy/convenient on the streets. I never wanted a true sport tourer with room for luggage, more weight, softer suspension, tires that last 4-5 years, etc. A true sticky tire driven tough should be gone by 10k-ish KM.

Speaking of, the compound seems very soft, which I like. Even softer than the stockers, which I thought were soft and offering decent dry grip.

The shop tried to sell me a pair since I was changing brand. I said I would give a shot to the back one first. So far, I'm happy I did. I never rode with tires not matched before, but I'm pretty sure any front tires cleans the pavement for the back one, no matter how the thread differs. Maybe I'll try to be (even) more careful on the first few drives in the rain.

post #4 of 16 Old 06-12-2017, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Update. Took a 400km drive yesterday (TC=2). Went to a twisty road where I was able to lean the bike. Most of the round tire surface has now been tested. I can now say the bike handles and sticks to the pavement great, better than with the old Dunlop! Since I changed the size as well, there are more than 1 variable. It's hard to say if it's the new Pirelli or the size that makes it better. Or a bit of both. In any case, this tire has not failed giving me traction yet.
Beaker likes this.
post #5 of 16 Old 03-05-2018, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Pirelli tires are awsome, when I had my Tuono that was the only brand I put on that bike.Matter of fact I just put a set on my Suzuki . I got the Russo 11 on sale , I know it's not the latest model but I couldn't pass up $250 for front and rear
post #6 of 16 Old 03-05-2018, 08:29 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
2nd those rosso 3's, ive had nothing but praise for their grip and handling, they seem to wear reasonably too
post #7 of 16 Old 03-05-2018, 11:33 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Garage
One of the tires on my list to try. But, this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by danGTS View Post
I never wanted a true sport tourer with room for luggage, more weight, softer suspension, tires that last 4-5 years, etc. A true sticky tire driven tough should be gone by 10k-ish KM.
is freaking hilarious. 10,000 km in 4-5 years? Try 24,000 km on a set of tires that will let you drag hard parts at the race track on the sport tourer, but gone in a year because you don't buy a sport tourer to only ride 2500 a year. Many guys will burn those 25k km's in a couple of months, I'm not hard core like they are.

My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 Suzuki GSX-S1000 | 1998 KTM 250 EXC | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Family Bikes: 2006 Honda CRF70F | 2005 Honda CRF230F
post #8 of 16 Old 03-06-2018, 04:06 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A great tyre, I got 10000km from them the rear, so much more grip than the rubbish stock Dunlop’s, you will be hard to brake traction with them and engage the traction control on setting 3 in the dry. They also have excellent grip when cold and in the wet. The construction is much lighter then the stock Dunlop’s which makes the bike want to turn in easier.
You will be happy with them
post #9 of 16 Old 03-06-2018, 05:42 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by danGTS View Post
Update. Took a 400km drive yesterday (TC=2). Went to a twisty road where I was able to lean the bike. Most of the round tire surface has now been tested. I can now say the bike handles and sticks to the pavement great, better than with the old Dunlop! Since I changed the size as well, there are more than 1 variable. It's hard to say if it's the new Pirelli or the size that makes it better. Or a bit of both. In any case, this tire has not failed giving me traction yet.
I do have to ask "why bother buying a sticky tyre then run around with traction control on 2 and 3?"
I have had traction on 1 from day one with dunlops, it flashed once or twice on wet roads never even had a flicker from it on the pr4s wet or dry, the only reason its not switched off is I dont like the orange light on the dash.

Seems to me to be a strange thing to buy a "sticky" tyre then turn the traction control on

Certain people are like slinky's, no apparent use but always bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs
post #10 of 16 Old 03-06-2018, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by landy10 View Post
I do have to ask "why bother buying a sticky tyre then run around with traction control on 2 and 3?"

I have had traction on 1 from day one with dunlops, it flashed once or twice on wet roads never even had a flicker from it on the pr4s wet or dry, the only reason its not switched off is I dont like the orange light on the dash.

Seems to me to be a strange thing to buy a "sticky" tyre then turn the traction control on

Hey man,

This is just for safety on the first 100 kms. Better safe than sorry! I very rarely use TC3 nirmally! But I would recommend to anyone. Brand new tire can be very slipery. These pirelli were actually OK, but my stock dunlops had a very slipery ‘coating’ on them. I thought they were very dangerous on the firsts 10-20 kms. And, unlike cars, bikes have only 2 tires to share grip, use different contact patch when leaning, etc. Using TC==3 for a couple hours is a very low price to pay for safety imo. But it’s up to everyone! Peace and stay safe guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page