LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old 08-28-2017, 03:18 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Question Larger Tyre and Traction Control

Recently fitted a new Pirelli Supercorsa SC2 200/55 to my bike and I almost never see the Traction Control light come on

Bike Spec: 2016 GSX-S1000F, full system, K&N air filter, Remapped (correct fueling, optimized ignition, restrictions removed), -1/+3 gearing, Ohlins GP rear shock - Not been on a dyno yet but feels a lot faster than standard.

In the last month/1200km I haven't seen the TC light once (or felt it slip), I don't drive slowly and I used to see the light a lot. Last night i managed to get the light to come for a short while with a full WOT standing start with heavy rain and a slippery road using TC3.

Is this

a) because a combination of 200/55 and Supercorsa SC2 is incredibly grippy

or

b) The 200/55 has a 5% larger circumference which may mean the rear wheel has to go 5% faster before the traction control notices?

Are the front and rear speed discs the same as the front and rear tyres are 4% different in circumference

But otherwise really happy with bike like this!
mcm likes this.
post #2 of 29 Old 08-28-2017, 04:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhuketPaul View Post
Recently fitted a new Pirelli Supercorsa SC2 200/55 to my bike and I almost never see the Traction Control light come on

Bike Spec: 2016 GSX-S1000F, full system, K&N air filter, Remapped (correct fueling, optimized ignition, restrictions removed), -1/+3 gearing, Ohlins GP rear shock - Not been on a dyno yet but feels a lot faster than standard.

In the last month/1200km I haven't seen the TC light once (or felt it slip), I don't drive slowly and I used to see the light a lot. Last night i managed to get the light to come for a short while with a full WOT standing start with heavy rain and a slippery road using TC3.

Is this

b) The 200/55 has a 5% larger circumference which may mean the rear wheel has to go 5% faster before the traction control notices?

Are the front and rear speed discs the same as the front and rear tyres are 4% different in circumference

after putting s21 and a 55 rear i dont see my tc light come on at all now unless wet, on the standard tyers it would flicker like a christmas tree
post #3 of 29 Old 08-28-2017, 08:15 AM
mcm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thumbs up always fun to try different setups hey?

Quote:

Is this

or

Sounds that you are having some fun experimenting (you know better than some that hasn't tried the 200, you answer your own question, and apparently the bike can handle it, hopefully nothing is affected negatively) !
Nice to hear different points of views.

post #4 of 29 Old 08-28-2017, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Garage
Sounds like they perform better, and just with the name Pirelli I'd expect as much, looking on their site the list the SCII as having the best poor-road performance amongst the Supercorsa line.

You'd have to measure the actual final tire circumference and compare front:rear ratio of stock to current config to really know how much difference there is. Considering traction control is meant to operate only when needed and while cornering and with various wear patterns... I don't think the new profile is too much error. TC also self calibrates at 3mph on every start-up. If anything, I'd expect it to trigger too often, or error out at the 3mph.

2016 GSXS1000FAL6
post #5 of 29 Old 11-17-2017, 11:07 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I would say it mostly down to better tires. The stock tires IMO were junk, mine were about to the chords after 2500 miles. A taller tire should in sense make the rear speed sensor turn faster which should make the TC kick in more, but the extra grip from the taller and better tire over compensates. But my TC light stays on since I turn the dang thing off.
post #6 of 29 Old 11-17-2017, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisOH View Post
A taller tire should in sense make the rear speed sensor turn faster which should make the TC kick in more, but the extra grip from the taller and better tire over compensates. But my TC light stays on since I turn the dang thing off.
Sorry, but you are the wrong way about, the taller tyre makes the speed sensor read slower not faster
post #7 of 29 Old 11-18-2017, 10:37 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 577 Post(s)
Quote:
I would say it mostly down to better tires. The stock tires IMO were junk, mine were about to the chords after 2500 miles. A taller tire should in sense make the rear speed sensor turn faster which should make the TC kick in more, but the extra grip from the taller and better tire over compensates. But my TC light stays on since I turn the dang thing off.
cords showing at 2500 miles.....man o man you must be riding hard...holy cow....thats just crazy skill level
post #8 of 29 Old 11-18-2017, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Quote:
Quote:
Sorry, but you are the wrong way about, the taller tyre makes the speed sensor read slower not faster
Actually you are both wrong. The sensor is fixed and doesn't turn and it reads just the same as it always has. It's the wheel speed relative to the front one which is different

Pull my finger
post #9 of 29 Old 11-18-2017, 05:36 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 577 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
Actually you are both wrong. The sensor is fixed and doesn't turn and it reads just the same as it always has. It's the wheel speed relative to the front one which is different
now i want my 50 back
post #10 of 29 Old 11-18-2017, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Garage
The sensors basically read RPM of the wheel. Larger radius means larger circumference, means few rotations for the same distance. So the reading of the sensor, for the same road speed, is lower with a larger tire. If the front profile is unchanged, the ratio of readings front:rear is a higher ratio with a larger rear tire.

Basically, Chris is wrong, Paul is right, and I don't know if I'm interpreting all Beaker is saying correctly but it seems part right and part wrong.
bob37748 likes this.

2016 GSXS1000FAL6

Last edited by USSENTERNCC1701E; 11-18-2017 at 06:04 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page