LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 23 Old 01-09-2019, 07:47 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbieben View Post
<SNIPPED STUFF>
50 Profiles are usually fitted to offer more stability and a greater contact patch in a more upright position.
55 Profiles are usually fitted to offer better turn in and a greater contact patch at greater lean angles.
<SNIPPED STUFF>
I think this summarizes pretty well and explains why I'm not thrilled with the 50 series profile; it fights me (ever so slightly) at turn in, then it makes the bike want to ride wide at corner exit when on throttle. And mid-corner, it isn't giving me a ton of feedback on what the bike is doing. A lot of that is just the lack of grip of the D214, but some of it is 'profile-related'.

I think a lot of this nuance in feel and preference is based on what you are used to. I'm coming off sportbikes that ran 180/55 tires and I'm apparently used to that profile. It's what feels "right" to me. When this OEM D214 in 50 profile is toast, I'll be going with the 55 profile. I'm fortunate to live in an area loaded with curves and hills and I like that greater contact patch at lean and I like the slightly easier 'turn-in' where the bike isn't fighting my initial inputs.

So, some of you might like the 'feel' of the 50 profile better, and those of us coming off pure sportbikes are probably more likely to favor the 55 profile. The thing is, if you are curious, it's not like a HUGE difference if you try the other profile and don't love it. It will be okay feeling until you wear it out and then you can switch back if you want. Or maybe you'll get used to the change and want to stick with that configuration.
LEAVEITSTOCK likes this.
post #12 of 23 Old 01-09-2019, 10:08 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
50 needed a lot of counter steering to hold the bike down and follow a line, wanted to stand up....55 stayed down with no effort and held its line........im a highway guy so one would think the 50 would be best choice...like the 55 think its a better ride and if you like less air pressure for a softer ride ,seems to help more....anyway just took me one look seeing a 50 and 55 side by side.....dont like low profile tires
oldjackbob likes this.
post #13 of 23 Old 01-10-2019, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Just placed my order for a 190/50 Pirelli Angel GT so will let you know if I can tell the difference good or bad after covering a few miles.

Really enjoyed the Metzeller Roadtec 01s and removed the elephants. They let me know when they were past their best, becoming a bit squirrelly and following road imperfections.

The Road 5s I believe are better for my riding style although I have not been able to remove all of the edge marker lines, The front has worn worse than the rear, losing shape and all tread on the shoulders. I rarely travel on straight roads.

I tried lowering links on my bike once and dropped the forks 13mm, removed the links back to stock but kept the dropped Yokes. Happy how it steers and handles, just the rear shock to replace.
Kiwi Geoff likes this.

I know nothing and welcome the opportunity to share my knowledge with anyone crazy enough to take it

post #14 of 23 Old 01-15-2019, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Garage
[quote=PhuketPaul;374770]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miklos86 View Post

It increases the gearing because the height of the tyre is increased, thus giving a larger circumference.

It will reduce your acceleration slightly, potentiall increase your top speed
The speedo reading comes from the ABS sensors, mainly fromnthe front wheel, so not affected
Hello, Paul, thank you for the answer.

I'm not worried about loss of acceleration, this bike has heaps of it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page