GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tomorrow I will be heading to North weald to try my luck down the strip and see what times I can get on the gsxs.
Anyone near essex uk fancies a go or just to watch it's a good day out.
I will post my times tomorrow to let you know how I get on ?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Srad749, Here's your attainable goal: My last 4-cyl Japanese street bike ('84 FJ1100) turned an 11.34 @125 mph. This was at 1200 feet and 104F in Phoenix. It had previously run an 11.92 at 114 mph in Denver (5800 feet), so I was bummed and went home. Have fun and don't go over backwards. :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Srad749, Here's your attainable goal: My last 4-cyl Japanese street bike ('84 FJ1100) turned an 11.34 @125 mph. This was at 1200 feet and 104F in Phoenix. It had previously run an 11.92 at 114 mph in Denver (5800 feet), so I was bummed and went home. Have fun and don't go over backwards. :)
Be careful, that could have a very different meaning in the UK. :D

·
Registered
76 Posts
The last drag racing I tried was on an RR5 Fireblade, did 10.3 and 142 on that, brilliant fun. Prior to that managed 11.1 on a CB1300, it had an Akra full system, PC111 etc and that gave it an extra 18bhp over standard.:)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Srad749, Good work! What's the track elevation (assuming it's basically sea level)? BTW, sorry about misuse of terminology.

Anyway, I'm impressed with the trap speed as that matches or exceeds most the published road reviews!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Run 1. 11.12 @ 128 mph
2. 10.98 @ 131 mph
3. 10.83 @ 131 mph
4. 10.82 @ 135 mph
5. 11.07 @ 131 mph.

I was quite happy with it, definitely had room for improvement, the last run had a bit too much of a wheelie.
I think it should be good for a 10.5.

Impressed!:eek:
Do you have incremental times? 60 ft? 1/8 mile?
Traction Control setting?
What is your suited weight?

You're going to make me get the fever to run mine. :D

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just those times. I was determined to get in the 10's after getting 11.4 on my gsr750 last year.
It will definitely go quicker.
My mate on his aprilia tuono beat me off the line but as soon as I clicked into second the bike just flew straight past him like he was on a 600? and that was when I got 135.
So the is so much room for improvement.
The quickshifter helps, that worked like magic!
I weigh 95 kg
The elevation I have no idea.
Traction control was off, didn't have wheel spin, just wheelies ?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Srad749, 98m should be roughly 300 feet or basically sea level--read , lot of oxygen-giving horsepower (higher elevation, less power)! The first 1000 feet seem more noticeable. My last bike would no-clutch wheelie to the balance point when I rode to San Jose, California (sea level), but when I rode back home (1200 feet), it would struggle to pull the front wheel up without cheating and using a bump or snapping throttle, etc. Poor form!

Anyway, any other mods to bike besides quick shifter?

·
Registered
539 Posts
My last bike would no-clutch wheelie to the balance point when I rode to San Jose, California (sea level), but when I rode back home (1200 feet), it would struggle to pull the front wheel up without cheating and using a bump or snapping throttle, etc. Poor form!
Haha, I'm gonna go with that's why I can't pull a power wheelie (4500 feet here)

·
Registered
307 Posts
Just those times. I was determined to get in the 10's after getting 11.4 on my gsr750 last year.
It will definitely go quicker.
My mate on his aprilia tuono beat me off the line but as soon as I clicked into second the bike just flew straight past him like he was on a 600? and that was when I got 135.
So the is so much room for improvement.
The quickshifter helps, that worked like magic!
I weigh 95 kg
The elevation I have no idea.
Traction control was off, didn't have wheel spin, just wheelies ?
did you try it at all in tc 1?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Rickster i have the pc5 with the map it turns up with and the quickshifter.
Oh and I put an old back tyre on but only let it down to 30psi because I still had to ride it home.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Srad749, Thanks. A tad oversimplifying, but the et is a based on rider skill, and the trap speed is a function of bike horsepower. Drag racing is fun but can become all engrossing if you let (I did for about 8-10 years ). I don't believe the TC on the gsxs reduces power, it just limits the amount of time it intervenes. I hate TC1 for hooligonizing (one member said he can pull good wheelies with it--mine just sounds strangled and the front wheel never climbs more than a foot or so) but love it for playing Jr Isle of Man TT in the twisties. :)

·
Registered
305 Posts
Run 1. 11.12 @ 128 mph
2. 10.98 @ 131 mph
3. 10.83 @ 131 mph
4. 10.82 @ 135 mph
5. 11.07 @ 131 mph.

I was quite happy with it, definitely had room for improvement, the last run had a bit too much of a wheelie.
I think it should be good for a 10.5.
Your best time is very consistent with what a "professional" tester have achieved with the GSXS (BIKE magazine).
This is an experienced (ex)roadracer with a minute stature (low weight).

As another poster asks for, it would be nice to see the 60'' times.
It is here where the tenths for the ET is set.
Rollout is also important. It will greatly impact the ET (and 0-60). (Usually about 0.3 sec for a motorbike/fast car - one foot rollout).

The ET's for a stretched/lowered bike on prepped strip/slicks is usually way better than the above, but the end speed not very different.

Stock bike, street tires.. then it is difficult to get much better than 1.8sec for 60 foot.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts