GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thats right i first saw the GSXS1000 at the Phillip Island GP last year and have been waiting patiently ever since for it come out, then after selling my GSX1400 i went in for the test ride today before i placed my order being very excited about it all and i am so glad i did test ride it cause honestly i was not happy with the bike.
My main reason for the transition was to get a smaller, lighter(ok faster too :)) bike ,but this bike actually looked and felt too small and light for my liking and i am so dissapointed even at my light 74kg frame.
There was some nice power there but in the lower rev range in comparison to the 1400 it just didn't do it for me, the 1400 is so much smoother with way more torque feel to it so its back to the drawing board for me for what to by next.
I still love the look of this bike both naked and faired blue and black and red and i will still drool over the poster hanging on the wall cause i love the look of it but it just didn't feel like 15-16K bike and that it would go the distance in Km's in the end as i am looking for something to last a few years and a lot of K's
I never found the throttle as snatchy as it has been reviewed but it is very responsive and i think the solution for Suzuki for this is not altering maps or gearing but to increase the throttle travel distance by mechanical means at the pivot point as this would smooth it out so much and give back the control that the bike needs.
I have had owned and a few different GSX's over the years, Katana 750, GSX1100, GSX750F ,GSX1400 and they all felt like they would run forever but sorry for me this one just didn't pass the test.
Anyway just my opinion and to everyone enjoy your ride and stay safe.

nick

·
Registered
51 Posts
hiya. The GSX-S1000 is a totally different bike, and as you found, the wrong bike for what it appears your looking for. If your after torque you really need to be looking at Ducati Diavel or V- max or Tuono or Rocket 111. I have a Rocket 111 and have had a Diavel and a V Max, they have immense torque and thrilling acceleration. Cost wise compared to the GSX-S they are the price of a small island, but I now prefer the handling, sound, looks and cost of the suzy. I'm with you on the lack of torque but knew what to expect when I read it had 97.3 ft/lb (I think) against my Rockets 147ft/lb. If you can "like" the Ducati sound, the Diavel is a beautiful, fast motorbike. Enjoy your hunt for next bike. ;)

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers mate yes you are right it was the wrong bike for me and i have no idea where to go from here so i'll check them out for sure and see if can stretch the budget.
The problem too i think is going from the 1400, if i was going from anything else it may have been a different story.

nick

·
Registered
95 Posts
A Kawasaki ZX 14 might float your boat.
A good mate has had a couple of these over the years and wouldn't ride anything else at the moment.
It's certainly a hard charger, capable in the twists, reliable and comfortable for trips.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I've owned both. I had a GSX1400 (brand new) back in '07, and it was a great bike, but these are 2 different machines. The 14 is a muscle bike, pure and simple. I loved it, but the GSXS is every bit as enjoyable, albeit in a different way.

·
Registered
299 Posts
hiya. The GSX-S1000 is a totally different bike, and as you found, the wrong bike for what it appears your looking for. If your after torque you really need to be looking at Ducati Diavel or V- max or Tuono or Rocket 111. I have a Rocket 111 and have had a Diavel and a V Max, they have immense torque and thrilling acceleration. Cost wise compared to the GSX-S they are the price of a small island, but I now prefer the handling, sound, looks and cost of the suzy. I'm with you on the lack of torque but knew what to expect when I read it had 97.3 ft/lb (I think) against my Rockets 147ft/lb. If you can "like" the Ducati sound, the Diavel is a beautiful, fast motorbike. Enjoy your hunt for next bike. ;)

The v-twins have much more torque for sure, but the 2 cylinder motor revs quickly through its range causing the need for frequent shifting. I prefer the inline 4 because the range from 2k - 10k rpm is much greater. I find I can lazily stay in 6th gear the majority of the time. I had a Ducati S2R1000 and I didn't like it because I found myself shifting as much as if I were riding a 600CC bike. I'm 6'1" and I find my Gixxes plenty comfy. Keep in mind also that the motor isn't going to break in until after 2,000 miles. It will feel underpowered in early stages.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK back again and i will eat my words, i took another GSXS for a spin this weekend but before hand i took an MT-09 to get the GSX1400 out of my system first as that is all i have been riding for the last few years and i must say the MT-09 was fun as to ride but then getting off it and straight onto the GSXS i loved every bit of it except for the very over responsive throttle on this one, hit a bump and it tried to take off and try turning a corner from take off and it was scary thinking of wheel spin as i have not ridden with traction control and haven't had to rely on it which i think this bike might. So the GSXS is not out of the loop yet, i am going to look at a Z1000 maybe this week along with a Ninja as this looks more suited to the touring side and the GSXS was suffering from the lack of a gear rack being able to get fitted from what i could see until tonight i saw someone post up some pics of a ventura rack system for it so the biggest problem i have is being spoilt for choice :) Decisions Decisions

·
Registered
387 Posts
what do they do for that and how much does it cost
depends on what you have done to your bike in regards to air filter and exhaust, you get a custom map for the ECU taking into account modifications and your preference for torque and power throughout the rev range, Remaps generally cost around £300

·
Registered
307 Posts
depends on what you have done to your bike in regards to air filter and exhaust, you get a custom map for the ECU taking into account modifications and your preference for torque and power throughout the rev range, Remaps generally cost around £300
cheers zak

1 - 13 of 13 Posts