GSXS 1000 Forum banner

180/55 rear?

8K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  trasher 
#1 ·
i ordered some pirelli angels a while ago. come to fit them and noticed that like a dumb **** id got a 180/55 for the rear instead of 190. as anyone run a 180 on theres?

#2 ·
You can still run it on the 6" tire. The only thing is the profile will be flatter in the middle once the bead gets pushed out to the edge. As long as you are not taking it to the track you probably won't be affected, but you might feel it takes a bit more force to get turned in.

#7 ·
So after some research, I can't find any source that suggests that a 180/55 is "stretched" on a 6in rim. If you do have a source for that I'd be interested to see it. There is a thread that goes into some detail on this on the Gixxer forum http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2090479&postcount=13
It is definitely not meant to be a definitive source, but is the info that a member took the time to gather to answer these questions, and did a fairly good job in analysis.

The 180/55 and 190/55 have almost identical profiles, with the 190 being only slightly taller and having slightly more meat. It seems mostly to be a rider preference for situation, many riders choose each for different situations and effects.

The main gain I can see is the unsprung weight of a 180 is considerably less, which theoretically could lead to slightly better acceleration, breaking, and turn in in certain situations. However that could be matched by the 190s improved contact patch in other situations.

When I have tried both on this bike it has always been with Metzeler m7rr. I did like the feel of the 180 and think it is totally fine to use if that is what you are comfortable with, but ultimately I am back on a 190 now.

#8 · (Edited)
I tend to use Pirelli tyres and so I'm going from their information - other manufacturers are different.

The recommended rim for a 180/55 is 5.5" but it can be used on a 6.0" rim, they 180/55 is 12 mm narrower than the 190 which is recommended for a 6.0" rim.

I didn't say that you couldn't use a 180/55 on our 6"rims its just that the beads will be wider apart and this changes the profile of the tyre, the image below shows a 190/50 on a 5.5 and 6.0" rim and as can be seen on a 6"it is wider and flatter, the same will happen with a 180/55 on a 6"rim, wider and flatter than optimum

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.