GSXS 1000 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Taken out of context, incorrect interpretation.

I agree. I've been riding bikes since about 8 years old. I have had a many bikes and have never had a throttle issue with any except my Gixxes.

Like I said earlier, pretty much every single mag and website who reviewed our bike noted the abrupt throttle. Every ****ing one of them.

End of argument.
It's not an argument, don't take this s**** personal, we all have different perceptions (not a big deal).

I agree with you about the throttle, it has a lot of twitchy spunk, no doubt. Yet everyone has different approaches that's all.

If you have been riding since 8 years old (ye i remenber my first ride, Honda 50...... first Willie fell straight flat on my back [10]:D,) well ...............then you probably started on dirt, yes?
Remember the CR 500? f***** that thing was a monster! have never known anyone that could ride that beast at 100%, makes this throttle pretty tamable.

On dirt i like 1/4" of play, on street about 1/8", just personal preference. When i road a friends R1 he had no play and it is a lot stiffer than my gsxs, and he likes it like that, and felt that my throttle was a bit to light for his liking, so what? no big deal.

When the throttle issue came up, i called the dealer and they told me that i could bring it in and change the ECU (i believe that's what Suzuki's (volunteer up grade, not mandatory.....i think? never paid much attention if there was an official recall or not) fix was (they told me that my serial # was included) .

As i said before, to my self the stiffening was enough. am sure there are others that they didn't need to do that because the lightness wasn't an issue to them as it was for me. Sure don't take offense to it (to each it's own).

What works for one person may not for another and vice versa.

If a few of us met in person, and exchanged information of mods with good intentions. Perhaps even trying each others bikes. Am sure that we could all learn from each other.

I did not registered with this forum to argue, just after so much negativity against this bike i felt compelled to defend it, because it is a great bike to me and a fantastic personal work asset, and still have sport riding fun in the canyons on a daily bases!

The magazine reviews are bias to say the least on many bikes, not just this one (they where very bias on another bike years back, i wrote to them and challenge them to meet me at the canyon where they did the review...., they declined) . These people are not living with them every day.
For every negative review, there are more positive ones.

I will end with a funny one that happen to me a week ago (hope you like it, and cheer up. laugh at the throttle issue, perhaps just stiffen it and it may be good enough for you as it is for me, never know until trying it)

This Dude on a Harley (cool dude at work), ask me "what is that, a French tickler?" pointing at the Center Tank Protector. I laugh with a reply "ye man, it feels good up front, but for your Harley it goes on the seat".
He laughed, and we get a long fine. It's all on the perception.

Best regards,

Keep on riding!;)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Have the same issue, just a different approach.....

People's responses to the throttle issue is insulting to those that do have an issue.
The throttle is NOT the same on every bike! I've ridden three of these bikes (from the same dealer), not one rode the same and they were not slightly different they were wildly different.
Saying people need better, steadier hands or whatever bull you guys are coming out with is so far from the actual truth.

Take the pi** criticise people's riding capability all you want you just sound like mor*ns who's bike's don't have a problem.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
you can read my response above (no need to repeat my self)

I wasn't offended when you replied about my old school ways in reference of the gas tank! (in my mind.....f***** it, if some don't get it, oh well)
Lots of new bikes don't have gas gauges (they are not all like sport bikes, yet a motorcycle is a motorcycle and many basic instincts apply equally)

Have a nice day;)

·
Registered
486 Posts
Its all good MCM

Not starting an argument with anyone in particular, just saying to those suggesting there is no throttle problem.....there is an abundance of evidence to prove that there is.

I am very happy for those who have not noticed the issue. You are one of the lucky ones. The issue does appear to affect every bike a bit differently, which is kind of screwy if you ask me. For me personally, the issue has not diluted my enthusiasm for the bike one iota. I still love the bike and will evenyualy get around to getting a tune to sort it out.

I also started on a Z50 when i was a wee lad.....**** I think everyone cut their teeth on that bike with the 3 speed clutchless tranny. Good times! Then moved on to a yamaha 60cc 2 stroke enduro, then an XR75 etc.... Yes, the big bore two strokes were ridiculous. The Yamaha YZ490 had so much power it was cracking the frame of the bike. The 125's were basically like a light switch back in the day, about zero torque, then BAM when it got on the pipe. One of my favorite bikes when i was young was my XL250s. I had a blast on that thing on eastern Long Island. Back then there was plenty of trails and backwoods tracks we made. Only drawback to that bike was it made me late to everything haha. If i spotted a new trail i always had to check it out. I had a case gasket fail on that thing deep in the woods an had no choice but to ride it home. Only damage from that oil free ride home was a cam and one rocker arm. Installed the new parts, filled with oil and she started first kick. XR/XL's are seriously bulletproof machines.

·
Registered
220 Posts
we have quite a bit in common (dirt)

Not starting an argument with anyone in particular, just saying to those suggesting there is no throttle problem.....there is an abundance of evidence to prove that there is.

I am very happy for those who have not noticed the issue. You are one of the lucky ones. The issue does appear to affect every bike a bit differently, which is kind of screwy if you ask me. For me personally, the issue has not diluted my enthusiasm for the bike one iota. I still love the bike and will evenyualy get around to getting a tune to sort it out.

I also started on a Z50 when i was a wee lad.....**** I think everyone cut their teeth on that bike with the 3 speed clutchless tranny. Good times! Then moved on to a yamaha 60cc 2 stroke enduro, then an XR75 etc.... Yes, the big bore two strokes were ridiculous. The Yamaha YZ490 had so much power it was cracking the frame of the bike. The 125's were basically like a light switch back in the day, about zero torque, then BAM when it got on the pipe. One of my favorite bikes when i was young was my XL250s. I had a blast on that thing on eastern Long Island. Back then there was plenty of trails and backwoods tracks we made. Only drawback to that bike was it made me late to everything haha. If i spotted a new trail i always had to check it out. I had a case gasket fail on that thing deep in the woods an had no choice but to ride it home. Only damage from that oil free ride home was a cam and one rocker arm. Installed the new parts, filled with oil and she started first kick. XR/XL's are seriously bulletproof machines.
Cool,

ye , life goes by to quick and since we can't control it may as well enjoy our bikes!

Oh ye, the good old XR's and XL's. The 250 XL (80's/no cali smog crap on bikes yet that i can remember)was quicker than all these new 250's. Same here, also commuted (and explore off highway trails) on 1 for a few years; very economical and reliable with 70/30 tires rode in the rain to make it from work to school, and back then we could ride on the mulholland
section that it;'s still dirt today (that was my way home), now only hikers. All the places that we use to ride are all closed to motorcycles. Have to go about 40 minutes away, not to bad ther under rated bike by many. Good memories.
My favorite was my XR600R , also ended up commuting on it for some time (find dirt areas on the way home/it suck on the freeway) and an older XL650 (don't recall the year , but it was the white tank with Honda blue and red strips/blue seat/red motor, this year was a good one, it had the same suspension, and everything else us the XR (with a higher gear which was better on the freeway), but with speedometer , etc am sure you remember.
The new XL650R don't move very good unless modifying it, and way to tall . Sold my XR like an idiot afew years back and ended up recently with a DR650, which had to modify it quite(fuel/air/exhaust) a bit (it kicks ass now, including racing suspension/GPR/a must, helps the heavy beast, as the Australians call it "the bush pig")

About the throttles: Ye i agree that it's a tough issue, but have you tried stiffing it a bit?

i had a post explaining how i did it (i new when I got it that it needed that). All i did was loosen the 2 screws under the housing next to the throttle components, and pushed it towards the throttle (have done this with many bikes/specially dirt). If you go to far it will stop the throttle completely. Also placed a small 2 half moons pieces of Velcro with an interior circular notch. It became a lot nicer to deal with.

Understand also about the lines in the canyons, and when going over big bumps it bucks a bit. So I just prepare and do my best. when coming out of a corner i'm already at a 8k+ and just smoothly start cracking it (not a quick/to fast full throttle) once it smooths out and the front in is solid (down), then i open her up.
That's pretty much what i did in my case.;)

best regards, and thanks for the memories!

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
It pisses me off that Suzuki don't have a answer for our jerky throttle.
from what i here a lot of the big motor bikes are like that..so if suzuki don,t have an answer neither does honda kawasak or yamaha..talked to the wrench who worked on my bike today...he took it for a good test ride and said thats an aggressive bike, felt strong...i asked did you feel the snatchy throttle...he said yes my honda 1000 was like that and a lot of them are ,you get use to it...and i had to agree because i did get use to it....its edgy and wants to hit the highway...all this snatch talk is making me want to ride cant wait to pick it up....im not pissed im pleased in riding a 1000

·
Registered
538 Posts
from what i here a lot of the big motor bikes are like that..so if suzuki don,t have an answer neither does honda kawasak or yamaha..talked to the wrench who worked on my bike today...he took it for a good test ride and said thats an aggressive bike, felt strong...i asked did you feel the snatchy throttle...he said yes my honda 1000 was like that and a lot of them are ,you get use to it...and i had to agree because i did get use to it....its edgy and wants to hit the highway...all this snatch talk is making me want to ride cant wait to pick it up....im not pissed im pleased in riding a 1000
There might be a few bikes with a similar throttle, not like the one gsxs I rode though, it was simply appalling.
Ive test rode in the last year
Z1000 16 plate
S1000r 16 plate
Cbr1000rr 17 plate
Mt10 66plate
Mt09 15 plate
Mt09 17 plate
None of these had a throttle issues, so bmw, Kawasaki, honda and Yamaha can do it.
As much as it hurts some people, Suzuki dropped a boll*ck on some of these bikes.

Apart from the throttle issue this bike is great, I'm thoroughly happy with mine now and I can see why those without issue love them. I can now ride mine out the garage over the speed bumps and shut my visor one handed without the bike jerking forward violently making me shat myself before grabbing the handlebar in a panic.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
There might be a few bikes with a similar throttle, not like the one gsxs I rode though, it was simply appalling.
Ive test rode in the last year
Z1000 16 plate
S1000r 16 plate
Cbr1000rr 17 plate
Mt10 66plate
Mt09 15 plate
Mt09 17 plate
None of these had a throttle issues, so bmw, Kawasaki, honda and Yamaha can do it.
As much as it hurts some people, Suzuki dropped a boll*ck on some of these bikes.

Apart from the throttle issue this bike is great, I'm thoroughly happy with mine now and I can see why those without issue love them. I can now ride mine out the garage over the speed bumps and shut my visor one handed without the bike jerking forward violently making me shat myself before grabbing the handlebar in a panic.

doddy666 dont doubt what you say about the bikes you rode...any of those forums of the bikes you rode is filled with posting about throttle issues also...just as much as this forum...all the forums have members not happy..its not a suzuki thing ...its a little of the new age throttle and a little of members that cant adjust...... there are some who have a real problem and many who read the throttle threads and start thinking they have a bad throttle issue....myself if my bike was that bad from the start it would of been traded in within the first month......there is a part of me that believes most of the gsxs or f 1000 bikes are close to being the same throttle......its just how riders adapt,adjust ,set up suspension ,tire pressure and time on the bike,plus miles on the bike....glad yours is trouble free now...just dont start a thread about shatting your pants ;)

·
Registered
486 Posts
It is not a big bore issue, the issue seems to be fuel injected bikes that use throttle cables.

The bikes with ride by wire have better throttles from what I have read

·
Registered
220 Posts
Dale Walker---------Holeshot.

It is not a big bore issue, the issue seems to be fuel injected bikes that use throttle cables.

The bikes with ride by wire have better throttles from what I have read
How are you doing Super Charger?

Being curious about this never ending issue, and after listening and watching so many different opinions with different approaches have decided to give Dale a call.

Apparently all the gsxs's seem to be pretty much the same from factory, am not able to explain what he told me, but here is a link to his site.
He also told me that there are a few testimonials (on his site also, i think?)on this forum from some members that used his (fix) improvement.
Personally have not seen any, (the forum having so many posts).

We had a nice chat, and also told me that he can not ship anything here to California (laws).

Here is the link: Holeshot Performance Products, Inc.

PS: have you tried what worked for me just stiffening the throttle? (have adjusted to it pretty well)

best regards

·
Registered
974 Posts

Being curious about this never ending issue, and after listening and watching so many different opinions with different approaches have decided to give Dale a call.

Apparently all the gsxs's seem to be pretty much the same from factory, am not able to explain what he told me, but here is a link to his site.

He also told me that there are a few testimonials (on his site also, i think?)on this forum from some members that used his (fix) improvement.

We had a nice chat, and also told me that he can not ship anything here to California (laws).

PS: have you tried what worked for me just stiffening the throttle? (have adjusted to it pretty well)

best regards

The testimonials on this site come from 1 post members so be careful with them , also all the GSXS's coming from the factory are not the same which has been proven many times by members including myself, just saying

·
Registered
541 Posts
The testimonials on this site come from 1 post members so be careful with them , also all the GSXS's coming from the factory are not the same which has been proven many times by members including myself, just saying
Personal testimony is not proof. However, the fact that a recall has been issued to limited VIN ranges is proof that they're not all the same in all aspects.

·
Registered
220 Posts

Personal testimony is not proof. However, the fact that a recall has been issued to limited VIN ranges is proof that they're not all the same in all aspects.
Am not doing anything to mine even doe the dealer had told me last year that my serial # was part of the ECU (i think that was it) exchange.
As previously mentioned, have adjusted to it just fine since day 2 with the stiffening of the throttle which i would have done it anyway regardless.

Have known of others besides this forum, but on the internet you are absolutely right about who is for real and who isn't.
Just passed along another place that can be looked in to, if anything just for another side of the same story.
Dale Walker is legit as a racer, unless the motorcycle magazines have been fulled for decades.

Thanks for your input (both of you/don't know how to reply to 2 posts at once)

·
Registered
486 Posts

best regards
I talked to Dale several months ago. ;)

I've known about Dale since my Suzuki Bandit days. I had a beautiful red Bandit 600. Dale makes a lot of parts for the 1200 and has a record holder Bandit 1200.

I specifically called him to talk about the flat spot between 5 and 7K that are clearly visible on his dyno sheets for our bike. He didn't have much answers honestly. I think I'm going to the with an ECM dyno tune when i am ready. I think adjusting ignition, fuel and the exhaust valve etc...gets better results than a fueling tune alone.

·
Registered
109 Posts
PCV completely fixed the issue for me. It has been said many times. If you have a problem with the throttle the first thing you should try is a PCV or equivalent before spending more money elsewhere. There are 3 stock maps around (that I know of), make sure to try them all.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well, having read all the comments I can probably say for sure that my throttle is bad for lack of linear power delivery, jerkiness, call it what you like.
There is nothing trivial or 'in the mind' about entering a corner at speed, leaning over to suit and then feathering the throttle open, expecting to smoothly pull out of the corner with a grin on your face ..... then the throttle decides to open in an erratic manner and the bike becomes less stable, the grin becomes a grimace and the fun is gone.
DON'T patronise me, I've ridden bikes for 40 years and this is the worst, dangerous even. If you want to ride your bike close to the perceived limit when cornering then a GSXS in standard form is NOT the bike for you [or me]. This should be a recall before someone ends up under the front end of a bus!
I'll just take it easy till I get a cast iron solution that doesn't involve throwing money at it.
Driving on the limit is dangerous anyway, who wants to be doing that?

21 - 40 of 51 Posts