GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I am going for a replacement rear shock. (2017 ZX10R shock) The shock is 20mm shorter, and it lowers the bike 37mm. I want some lowering for my wife, so I am looking for a 20-25mm jack-up kit.

I have ordered and recieve a kit from the German BikefarmMV, but it does not fit. We a discussin this as I write here, they claim it fit, but there is no way to install it. Look at the comparison picture here.

Who produces a 20-25mm jack up kit. I have only found www.mizu.de, but they are kind of expensive. (100EUR)

Attachments

·
Registered
719 Posts
Another forum member made rectangular shaped adapter plates that simply made up the missing distance from the top of the shcko to where it attaches to the bike frame. This would not necessarily solve your desire to lower the bike though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I may be completely wrong but it looks to me as though the long axis should be vertical so as to in effect increase the length of the shock.

Normally you use a shorter dogbone to raise the rear and it looks like you are trying to extend the dogbone with this linkage

Have you tried it in the vertical direction?
See this picture, on the left is the lowering kit, on the right standard - as you can see the vertical axis drop

s the shock so lowering the bike

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have seen that picture, but the trouble is that the bolt for the shock is 10mm, and the other two 12mm. So the hole on the left on my comparison picture has to go on the shock!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I may be completely wrong but it looks to me as though the long axis should be vertical so as to in effect increase the length of the shock.

Normally you use a shorter dogbone to raise the rear and it looks like you are trying to extend the dogbone with this linkage

Have you tried it in the vertical direction?
Another forum member made rectangular shaped adapter plates that simply made up the missing distance from the top of the shcko to where it attaches to the bike frame. This would not necessarily solve your desire to lower the bike though

It does not seem to be a very good solution in my book. It would be possible, but you need to do a precise and support on the frame, so the shock would not tilt in the upper mounting bracket!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The same place as the one that does not fit. Their customer service is just not existing.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have seen that picture, but the trouble is that the bolt for the shock is 10mm, and the other two 12mm. So the hole on the left on my comparison picture has to go on the shock!
I see that the distance from the longer end of the plate is not the same to the other holes, could it be possible you need to flip the plate to make the dogbone line up correctly? This is assuming the dogbone is not reaching the bottom hole. I am interested in this mod - as I want to do the same on mine sometime next year. All the best man!!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I see that the distance from the longer end of the plate is not the same to the other holes, could it be possible you need to flip the plate to make the dogbone line up correctly? This is assuming the dogbone is not reaching the bottom hole. I am interested in this mod - as I want to do the same on mine sometime next year. All the best man!!

You can flip it 2 ways. As the 10mm hole has to be connected to the shock. It is still not possible to connect even flipped over :(

·
Registered
280 Posts
I installed 20mm lowering links with no problem. I lifted the rear wheel of my gsxs 1000f off the ground by a lift that attaches to the swing arm bolt holes. Then I put a floor jack under one side of the swing arm and raised it until it all lined up.

The lowering links I used came from Germany. I bought them in US.

·
Registered
118 Posts
You can flip it 2 ways. As the 10mm hole has to be connected to the shock. It is still not possible to connect even flipped over :(

Ok, one more try : Do you need to lower the swing arm - effectively raising the shock higher so the plate swivels to get closer to the link/dogbone?

·
Registered
198 Posts
I installed 20mm lowering links with no problem. I lifted the rear wheel of my gsxs 1000f off the ground by a lift that attaches to the swing arm bolt holes. Then I put a floor jack under one side of the swing arm and raised it until it all lined up.

The lowering links I used came from Germany. I bought them in US.
can you link to the supplier please.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, one more try : Do you need to lower the swing arm - effectively raising the shock higher so the plate swivels to get closer to the link/dogbone?
There is no way this link will ever fit. Will make my own link today. Will post later.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Tempted to get some laser cut and drilled myself similar to the multi hole designs used on the GSXR. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-Holes-Aluminum-Rear-Adjustable-Lowering-Link-Kit-Fit-For-Suzuki-GSXR1000-09-15/272578969678?_trkparms=aid=555018&algo=PL.SIM&ao=2&asc=20140122125356&meid=6c18578697d04818b9202b711f62f0ce&pid=100005&rk=1&rkt=6&sd=262882997694&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Just tried measuring up the triangle ling hole centres while its on the bike, about 63, 73 and 73mm centres. Does anyone have one off the bike to check the dimensions?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tempted to get some laser cut and drilled myself similar to the multi hole designs used on the GSXR. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-Holes-Aluminum-Rear-Adjustable-Lowering-Link-Kit-Fit-For-Suzuki-GSXR1000-09-15/272578969678?_trkparms=aid=555018&algo=PL.SIM&ao=2&asc=20140122125356&meid=6c18578697d04818b9202b711f62f0ce&pid=100005&rk=1&rkt=6&sd=262882997694&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Just tried measuring up the triangle ling hole centres while its on the bike, about 63, 73 and 73mm centres. Does anyone have one off the bike to check the dimensions?
Nice idea. I have the original link plate laying around now, so I can do a measure

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Finally a sucess, I have mounted my own link today.

I put the rear swinger in the wanted position, then i made a carboard (stiff paper, how to spell) prototype. Then I took 2 pieces 6mm stainless plate and spot welded them together, transferred my hole positions. Drilled out 1 10mm hole for the shock, then two 12mm holes for the link and rear swinger. I drilled a central 30mm hole to save weight.

Then I used the belt grinder, to smooth out my links, grinded the spot welds away, but kept the links bolted together instead. Grinded to suit my design.

Fitting was spot on!

It took a couple of hours. But all worth it.

The lineup is, from buttom: -25mm BikefarmMV, original, homemade +20mm and last the NOT fitting +25mm from BikefarmMV

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
Finally a sucess, I have mounted my own link today.

I put the rear swinger in the wanted position, then i made a carboard (stiff paper, how to spell) prototype. Then I took 2 pieces 6mm stainless plate and spot welded them together, transferred my hole positions. Drilled out 1 10mm hole for the shock, then two 12mm holes for the link and rear swinger. I drilled a central 30mm hole to save weight.

Then I used the belt grinder, to smooth out my links, grinded the spot welds away, but kept the links bolted together instead. Grinded to suit my design.

Fitting was spot on!

It took a couple of hours. But all worth it.

The lineup is, from buttom: -25mm BikefarmMV, original, homemade +20mm and last the NOT fitting +25mm from BikefarmMV
How does it compare to the stock suspension? Planning to start working on mine soon, collecting info on the zx10r vs aftermarket expensive stuff. Wondering if the spring rate would be fine for our bike.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How does it compare to the stock suspension? Planning to start working on mine soon, collecting info on the zx10r vs aftermarket expensive stuff. Wondering if the spring rate would be fine for our bike.

I really really ikke it. So much more rear grip and feeling.

A öhlins is probably much better. But the bang for the buck you get here

1 - 20 of 23 Posts