GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I stupidly poured too much oil in my bike on the last oil change. The manual calls for 3200 ml with filter change and I believe I poured around 3385 ml (185 ml more).

Can this be a concern even under harder acceleration?
I just don't want to have the hassle of removing the fairing again and probably make a big with oil mess and ultimately remove too much oil which I have no more left.

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I did the same once.
I remove the oil by putting a thin plastic pipe into the filler hole and siphoned it back out. It was a bit of a fiddle but easier than removing the plastics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did the same once.
I remove the oil by putting a thin plastic pipe into the filler hole and siphoned it back out. It was a bit of a fiddle but easier than removing the plastics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
funny enough (not that funny really), I tried to extract some yesterday (siphoned), but either my pump does not work anymore or the pipe couldn't "find" any oil (despite the fact that now has more oil than ever) :(

·
Registered
295 Posts
I personally don’t think an amount such as that would make much of a difference. It’s what the oil sight glass shows that counts when the bike is completely level.

I check oil in my garage using a rear stand and place the bike in the same spot every time. But I’ve found that placing the bike in different parts of the garage affects the reading So you have to be careful checking the oil, especially if you like to have it towards the high full mark.

I overfilled a bike once and I rode it for quite some distance. I noticed it was overfilled because I saw bubbles in the oil when it was on its side stand. I had religiously checked it, but still overfilled it. After that I made sure that the bike was completely level by using a front wheel chock, and making sure the rear wheel was the same height as the front.Then I put it on the rear stand in the same spot everytime to see where the reading was, and went by that for future checks.

The holding it upright manner and looking while you hold it upright is probably the least accurate way of checking, as tilting a couple of degrees one way or another can make a big difference on the reading.

Personally I think there are many bikes out there with incorrect amounts of oil in them as well as cars. I bought a sports car many years ago and the owner told me it didn’t use any oil. I checked the oil after buying it and it was 2 litres down. The car ran fine, even though the owner had probably driven it that way for a considerable distance.

I also owned a Honda for years and must have been overfilling it numerous times because I’d find oil in the air box no doubt due to the pressure build up in the engine. It ran fine.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I personally don’t think an amount such as that would make much of a difference. It’s what the oil sight glass shows that counts when the bike is completely level.

I check oil in my garage using a rear stand and place the bike in the same spot every time. But I’ve found that placing the bike in different parts of the garage affects the reading So you have to be careful checking the oil, especially if you like to have it towards the high full mark.

I overfilled a bike once and I rode it for quite some distance. I noticed it was overfilled because I saw bubbles in the oil when it was on its side stand. I had religiously checked it, but still overfilled it. After that I made sure that the bike was completely level by using a front wheel chock, and making sure the rear wheel was the same height as the front.Then I put it on the rear stand in the same spot everytime to see where the reading was, and went by that for future checks.

The holding it upright manner and looking while you hold it upright is probably the least accurate way of checking, as tilting a couple of degrees one way or another can make a big difference on the reading.

Personally I think there are many bikes out there with incorrect amounts of oil in them as well as cars. I bought a sports car many years ago and the owner told me it didn’t use any oil. I checked the oil after buying it and it was 2 litres down. The car ran fine, even though the owner had probably driven it that way for a considerable distance.

I also owned a Honda for years and must have been overfilling it numerous times because I’d find oil in the air box no doubt due to the pressure build up in the engine. It ran fine.
I think you are right about the "upright manner" they suggest in the manual. It may yield the wrong results because of 1 or 2 degrees to the left of right. I will check and re-check the oil gauge again and see how it looks like.

·
Registered
214 Posts
185mL overfilled is likely not a big deal, but I don't know why you wouldn't just correct it. Sure, it takes time to remove fairings, but nothing good comes from overfilled oil. Leaving it that way doesn't make sense. If anything, it's better to be underfilled than over.

Additionally, it's likely more than 185mL overfilled. The capacity amounts don't take into account what is already there. When you change oil, you don't get every last drop out of the motor. The sight window is really what you should be using, not measured amounts.

·
Registered
90 Posts
What happens is the pistons pump down as well as up, thus they also pressurize the crankcase. When there is too much oil in crankcase, pressure pushes the oil into the air box thru the crank ventilation system leaving an oily film in the box.

I would drain it.

·
Registered
2016 f
398 Posts
it really depends on the sight glass level, checked with the bike on level ground, and the bike balanced on its wheels , i have to put more oil than stated at oil change time as i drain the engine properly, by leaning the bike on each side for a couple of minutes, this drains all the oil from engine area's that wont drain by keeping the bike level, plus reducing cross contamination of oils, ( particularly if changing from mineral to synthetic) if the oil level is higher than the sight glass when inspected on level ground , it should be drained till at that level, or it can be "misted" into the air box by crankcase pressure as hugojose mentioned

·
Registered
721 Posts
Not sure why you would need to remove the plastics...either siphon some out of the filler hole or loosen the drain plug.
If you go the drain plug route, don't take it all the way out of the hole and be sure you have a good grip on it as the oil will make it slicker than snot and you'll end up dropping it and making a mess that'll take a week to clean up! :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not sure why you would need to remove the plastics...either siphon some out of the filler hole or loosen the drain plug.
If you go the drain plug route, don't take it all the way out of the hole and be sure you have a good grip on it as the oil will make it slicker than snot and you'll end up dropping it and making a mess that'll take a week to clean up! :)
I tried to siphon some from the filler hole but had no luck. It could be my pump though. I will try it one more time.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2019 Suzuki GSX-S1000FZ ABS
139 Posts
I did the same on my first oil change. I just pulled the oil drain plug and stuck it back in and I've never removed my fairing on my F to change the oil or filter. (I got lucky, and drained the right amount) 😁 I cleaned my oil drain pan, in case I did drain toooo much I would put back what was needed!! Use plastic gloves also help keep your hand clean.

·
Registered
2021(updated model) GSX-S1000
2,091 Posts
I always get oil on the pipes, just wipe off excess and spray with brake cleaner.

Reactions: 18MatteBlack

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just Nick the hand pump of your wife's spray and wipe bottle. Make sure there's no residue in the plastic pipe and just stick the wee pipe all the way down through the filler hole and pump away into a small container until you've removed what you want. Not quick but it works.

·
Registered
Suzuki GSX-S 1000
506 Posts
cleaned the airbox yesterday , there was oil in the sponge absorber.....quite a bit - I'm sure to much oil can contribute to clutch slip too

I'd drain it - it's so easy to do so

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm not getting why the plastics have to come off. I never remove the plastics during an oil change on my F. Even the old oil filter slips between the fairing and the header and out the bottom. Then just hit the header with some brake clean - done.
All we're talking about here is loosening a drain bolt, right?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts