GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been riding fifty years. Last twenty years all naked liter class bikes.

I had a 2016 XSR900 loved it but sold it.
I want a bike that is even more than an XSR900.

I am leaning towards a 2016 GSX-S1000. Only thing I read online that from 2017 they added a few ponies and torque.

The bike has low mileage. Not sure about a good price but I’m more concerned that it will be the ‘weak’ model compared to newer bikes with the stronger engine.

Anybody ride a 2016? Any suggestions regarding the newer bikes? if there is not a big difference I may go for the used 2016.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Power and torque is always the same no real difference from 2016 and 17+

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
470 Posts
I had a buddy with a new Tuono and my 16 was quicker than his bike everywhere that counts. Mine is decatted, geared and flashed. His was flashed with a slip on. Over 100mph his would probably pull mine but everything under that, nope.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. I didn’t think it would make that much difference and it‘s not like I’ll be looking to break any speed records for the bike, so it sounds like I may go for it. I’ll post photos if I do.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Guys, I’m going tomorrow to see the bike. I’m in Northern California and I was wondering what a fair price would be. It has about 13,000 miles, 2016 model in matte gray and they’re dealers.

He said I could have it for $7,900 OTD. I can get a new 2020 in blue in San Diego for $10,500 OTD.

Both models are without fairing. For San Diego I would have to have it shipped or go down and drive it back.

What do you guys think and recommend?

Just as an FYI. I’m a senior in my sixties. Been riding on and off for 50 years when I’d ‘take‘ my brother‘s Yamaha 175 two stroke for rides. Last bikes were CB1000, FZ1 and XSR900.

I reckon this will be the last bike I buy unless I get too old and want a cruiser 😊 And BTW I have never bought a new bike, always bought used.

·
Registered
2015 GSX-S1000 ABS
1,539 Posts
Bear in mind that when the bike came out in 2015 shipments to USA were not scheduled until 2016.
However Suzuki then decided to do an "early release" around Autumn time but still called it a 2016 model.
So some 2016 USA bikes might actually be 2015 models.
Suzuki offered a replacement ECU for "early" owners that were experiencing surging problems at constant throttle.
Mine was eligible but I did not have the problem so I never bothered with it. Note this was nothing to do with throttle snatch which was and still is a problem for some people, but not me.

Reactions: mike d

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I've had the same experience as dekker. My 2016 is smooth and has never had a problem. It does seem a little high for a "used" 2016. Perhaps you can haggle them down a bit on it. Probably more wiggle room that on a new bike.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys for the info and suggestions. I thought the price was too high, almost everything here is too expensive. Maybe that’s why everyone is leaving the area 🤓 I’ll try and negotiate and don’t want to pay that price.

BTW I asked about surging and he said it’s not a problem. Maybe the ECU was replaced. I’ll ask about that.

·
Registered
470 Posts
That’s what I was thinking about the price, California. Ugh. I bought mine 3 years ago for $7800 otd, here in N.C.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
They won’t come down from $7,900 and they reminded me it’s the Bay Area when I asked why they charge so much more than KBB or Nada.

It’s also not the model with ABS and they offer no warranty. A different local used bike dealer offers 30 days or 500 miles. @Packmule the bike looks like yours.

I think the problem is that since the Bay Area high tech boom a lot of young people with too much money bought tons of KTMs, Aprillias, Triumphs and Harleys and such and that’s what on offer used. Because of Covid they have since left and sold their stuff because they can work for Google and Facebook from anywhere. In a normal market one would find more ’regular’ bikes but not here and when you do they are overpriced.

The freeways here are packed, people drive like lunatics and lots of very hostile and angry people due to the economics and skewed income levels. Maybe time to put aside the dream of another bike. Maybe also time to move somewhere else.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
That sucks man. The dealer seems like an a-hole. That price just seems ridiculous. Have you checked CycleTrader or your local classifieds? Keep in mind, you could find one 2 or 3 hundred miles away and make it a nice day trip out of it. (y)

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
They won’t come down from $7,900 and they reminded me it’s the Bay Area when I asked why they charge so much more than KBB or Nada.

It’s also not the model with ABS and they offer no warranty. A different local used bike dealer offers 30 days or 500 miles. @Packmule the bike looks like yours.
Probably a silly question but A) that sounds like a crap deal, why you you want to pay top dollar for no warrantee? and B) As I'm in the UK, Why can't you buy one from another state and have it shipped? We can buy from anywhere in the UK to get the best deal and then see if it's worth buying local or going a little further afield and paying shipping fees. Can you do that in the States?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts