GSXS 1000 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
There are brand new 2020models for $8799 on cycle trader. Warranty. New. Nobody else’s pre-existing problems. I have multiple bikes, most I bought used. But for nearly the same money you can get new. That is a no brainer for me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just bought my 2016, three months ago, that had 1,300 miles on it, from a dealer, for $6K.

Look around and have one shipped.

By the way, I had a Z900 in 2019. The GSX kicks the sh!t out of that bike in every single way, and I actually didn't mind the bike. So, there's some perspective for ya, compared to the yam triple.

Mine has buttery smooth throttle after I swapped throttle tubes and took out all the slack in the cables.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Agree with the others. Look elsewhere and ship it if needed. I found my 18F here in FL as new old stock with no mileage and 2 year extended warranty for just over 9k OTD.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have been riding fifty years. Last twenty years all naked liter class bikes.

I had a 2016 XSR900 loved it but sold it.
I want a bike that is even more than an XSR900.

I am leaning towards a 2016 GSX-S1000. Only thing I read online that from 2017 they added a few ponies and torque.

The bike has low mileage. Not sure about a good price but I’m more concerned that it will be the ‘weak’ model compared to newer bikes with the stronger engine.

Anybody ride a 2016? Any suggestions regarding the newer bikes? if there is not a big difference I may go for the used 2016.
You can get great power from them. I did this with a map, air filter and baffle removed from airbox, decat and slip on muffler... I fixed the dip in the top end with a little more fuel as well...its quick

And a ktech rear shock, thats a **** of an improvement...

GREAT BIKE

Attachments

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Not a good deal for a '16, be patient and keep looking. As said above, you can buy elsewhere and have shipped no problem

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Thanks guys, I already tuned them down. The ’no warranty’ and then no ABS were the two deciding factors.

About buying from another state - California has emission controls and it has to be an approved CA model or have more than 13,000 miles on it and it’s still a hassle getting registered at DMV. I have seen better deals on Cycle Trader for bikes in southern California so it is an option.

Not sure if I should create a separate thread for this, but a local dealer who has no GSX-S1000 models does have a 2020 Katana in silver. Not a lot of info here on the Katana.

I didn’t like the look of it in photos but I went to see it today, the silver one, and I like the look a lot. I could get it OTD for a couple of grand less than the MSRP.

Does anyone have experience or suggestions about the Katana? I was focused on a used bike but like I said I am in my sixties and always bought used bikes. With the past sh*tty year, if I can get a decent loan, maybe time to have a serious win and buy a new Katana.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Thanks guys, I already tuned them down. The ’no warranty’ and then no ABS were the two deciding factors.

About buying from another state - California has emission controls and it has to be an approved CA model or have more than 13,000 miles on it and it’s still a hassle getting registered at DMV. I have seen better deals on Cycle Trader for bikes in southern California so it is an option.

Not sure if I should create a separate thread for this, but a local dealer who has no GSX-S1000 models does have a 2020 Katana in silver. Not a lot of info here on the Katana.

I didn’t like the look of it in photos but I went to see it today, the silver one, and I like the look a lot. I could get it OTD for a couple of grand less than the MSRP.

Does anyone have experience or suggestions about the Katana? I was focused on a used bike but like I said I am in my sixties and always bought used bikes. With the past sh*tty year, if I can get a decent loan, maybe time to have a serious win and buy a new Katana.
If the katana puts lightning in your rod then I'd say go for it. It's a gsx in katana clothes with a smaller fuel tank. And it's more $$$$ but that hasn't stopped many from buying them.
There is no equivalent for the gsxs dollar for dollar. If this is your last big bike purchase then go all out, there's no wrong choice when buying from the reputable manufacturers these days.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If I'm being honest, I would rather have the Katana, of the two. I already have my bike, but if I did it all over again....

·
Registered
338 Posts
Goto cycle trader and have one shipped. About $6-800 coast to coast as I recall.
Or as suggested, make a day trip out of it. 8 hours from you. In cycle trader.

Be patient and you should be able to get something you are happy with.

BTW, there was an article (I cannot find in Cycleworld where I thought I saw it) that dynoed a 2017 or 2018, and it made a 4HP lower pull than a 2016. So, it shows a dyno result can vary, and only on the same day on the same dyno can you really make a comparison. Otherwise, air temperature, humidity, the gas in the tank, air pressure in the tire, the dyno operator having a bad day, .... can cause a variation across dynos and across time. So I have been led to believe.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I bought a 2016 GSX S1000 non ABS, silver, with 196 miles on the clock a year ago in December for $5,000 from the original owner in the L.A. area.
I have also been riding for 50 years, sold a ZX 9R with 46,000 miles, street and many track days, to buy the GSX.

Compared with the ZX 9R, the performance is about the same, the 9R much more user friendly, even after an ECU re-flash.
The suspension on the 9R was much better, but I had Race Tech do front and rear, ( a Penske shock), many years ago..

If you go for the GSX, figure on an ECU re-flash, ($180), and a new shock ($900). Maybe have the front suspension set up front and rear by RaceTech.
The power is more than adequate. For good info, check the recent comparison between a 2006 GSX R1000 with many miles, and a new high end Ducati. I think RevZilla did it.

The new bikes have electronics, but you pay a lot for it, and I believe that most people set all those modes at a low or mid level and never touch them again. That old GSX R1000 was faster on the track than the Ducati.

When I sold my 9R I told the buyer it has three modes, below 4,000 rpm is mild; 4,000 to 7,000 is strong, 7,000 to 10,000 is aggressive.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I like the look of the Katana (initally, I didn't), but if I could get one of these for less money, I'd be all over it.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I like the look of the Katana (initally, I didn't), but if I could get one of these for less money, I'd be all over it.
I wonder how the torque curves compare? The other write ups I saw were not impressive reading about the CB1000. The specs on this one look very similar to the GSXS. And I really like the GSXS because it is a modern version of the Bandit. Take and old GSXS engine, put it in a basic no frills package.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I wonder how the torque curves compare? The other write ups I saw were not impressive reading about the CB1000. The specs on this one look very similar to the GSXS. And I really like the GSXS because it is a modern version of the Bandit. Take and old GSXS engine, put it in a basic no frills package.
I haven't looked much at the reviews. Specs wise it looks very close to the GSX, but I agree, it could be very different to ride. I've always liked the fit and finish of Honda's though and I really like the look. ;)

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think the Katana looks good from the side and rear but not as nice from the front. Butter. It definitely looked better to me in pictures than in person, but that is my opinion and we all know what they say about those.

Regarding the CB1000R, it looks even better in person and the fit and finish is very good. I almost bought one but couldn't bring myself to it given the Honda premium and the lack of aftermarket support in comparison to most other bikes.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Regarding the CB1000R, it looks even better in person and the fit and finish is very good. I almost bought one but couldn't bring myself to it given the Honda premium and the lack of aftermarket support in comparison to most other bikes.
Well, that was part of my point. It's definitely a premium over what I (and probably you) paid for the GSX-S1000(F), but it's suggested price is less than a Katana 13,499usd.
If I were looking at something in the Katana price range, I personally would be giving the CB1000R a test drive. I'm not sure about aftermarket support, but I've owned several Hondas and is was about as good as anything else. I'm sure you can find what you want. ;)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Well, that was part of my point. It's definitely a premium over what I (and probably you) paid for the GSX-S1000(F), but it's suggested price is less than a Katana 13,499usd.
If I were looking at something in the Katana price range, I personally would be giving the CB1000R a test drive. I'm not sure about aftermarket support, but I've owned several Hondas and is was about as good as anything else. I'm sure you can find what you want. ;)
Was definitely a lot more $$ than the GSXS even discounted. This is actually the first bike I’ve owned that wasn’t a Honda. I spent a decent amount of time looking into the CB1000R and there isn’t a lot of support for it yet, or at least not at the time o was looking into it. No flash, limited exhaust options, very few supporters for the suspension which is what everyone complains about on that bike. Still, it is a very pretty bike and the fit and finish in the few I have looked at is very nice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Thanks guys for all the great responses. I hope you’re all having an excellent weekend.

So I got sidetracked. While looking at dealer websites in the area I saw a 2016 BMW S1000R with 14,000 for a good price. I called them up and drove an hour down to see it and do a test ride. Well, the bike would not start and needed a new battery. Bike looks good but I know nothing about these bikes and didn’t get to test ride It.

They are also Triumph dealers so I test rode a Speed Triple R 765. I like the bike and it felt very light but coming from my last bike which was a Yamaha XSR900 it felt a little underpowered to me.

Then they showed me a new 2020 Speed Triple with the larger engine. It’s more than I want to spend but the owner said he make me a deal if I’m interested. They also have an 2019 Aprillia Tuono V4 1100 RR ABS with 19 miles on sale for around $12,000 and I know he will work with me on that price.

And then part of me says just buy a 200x Bandit and Fz1 for around $6,000 for both and I’ll have two fun bikes to ride.

So basically right now I’m totally confused 🤔 Hopefully a couple of days to think about will bring more clarity.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Some here may disagree with me and that is OK. European bikes (and cars) in general tend to be a bit pricey for what you actually get, particularly when it comes to spares and servicing. My experience as a motor mechanic and with friends of mine who have had Euro cars, is they more often than not complain about the cost of repairs and in some case unreliability of major components that were supposed to be feats of mechanical engineering. I know of a few people who have Beemer bikes and they’re quite happy with them. Though they have a bit of spare cash so maintenance costs doesn’t bother them.
For me, I’ve only ever owned Jap bikes because they’re reasonably priced and they, generally, just work. Haven’t had any experience with the later English stuff such as Triumph.
My personal thoughts.
Good luck 😉

·
Registered
338 Posts
For me, I’ve only ever owned Jap bikes because they’re reasonably priced and they, generally, just work.
+1.
@Xanadu : The Aprilia gets compared to nakeds, including the GSXS. It is usually rated a little higher. However, long term, the Aprilia might not. As mentioned, it may be pricier to maintain long term. As far as owning both an FZ and Bandit for the same price as in a two-fer, remember you do not get traction control, ABS (at least not on the Bandit), likely nor fuel injection. Since only one bike can be ridden at a time, I prefer FI. Although I also have a Bandit.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts