GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After realizing my original post sounded downright ignorant, I've decided to revise it. You will see comments below that make no sense now. I hope that doesn't confuse anyone. I tried to delete the original thread but couldn't so here's my edit:

So I just bought a 2016 GSX-S1000F. I immediately knew it was the bike for me. I've been roughed up quite a bit over the years, and for a 30 year old who isn't so nimble anymore, it provides an incredibly comfortable riding position. I can ride sitting straight up with arms comfortably outstretched like a cruiser, but I can also lean in and ride it like a sport bike when I want to move. The bike is quick, handles really well, and looks amazing. With traction control and ABS brakes to top it all off, I couldn't ask for much else.

The only things that were holding me back from totally loving it were 1) the de-tuned engine which leaves a lot to be desired, 2) the wicked throttle snatch which made the transition between deceleration and acceleration, acceleration out of corners, and trying to ride through my neighborhood feel something like riding an electric bull, and 3) the shameful headlight design they chose for the "F" model (countless people have stopped me over the past 3 weeks to let me know one of my headlights is out)! So, needless to say, I immediately began searching for answers and ways to fix these minor drawbacks and turn this bike into something really special that I could totally fall in love with.

Now, let me preface this by saying that I have experience as an automobile mechanic, so I know my way around some nuts and bolts, but I have absolutely zero experience working on motorcycles. I've owned several bikes, but I've never done any work on any of them as they were all, well.. not worth investing in. So this is my first adventure into working on bikes! That said, please excuse any future remarks or notations I make out of simple ignorance. =)

Back to my post.. So I was patiently awaiting the completion of my first service after my 500 mile break-in so I could begin doing some modifications. I purchased several upgrades for my bike the week I bought it: the FTECU Datalink Programmer kit, the CS Racing exhaust from Brazil, a K&N filter, smog block-off plates by Driven, the Healtech ESE (Exhaust Servo Eliminator), and the Pair Valve Eliminator from Boost by Smith.

* As it turns out, I may not even need the ESE or PVE since I have the FTECU Datalink Programmer which is rumored to have the ability to disable those within the computer -- I will report back on this once confirmed.

The first thing to arrive was the FTECU Datalink Programmer. Let me start off by saying wow! These guys delivered so quickly! I ordered it late on Thursday and it was in my hands Saturday morning with USPS Priority Mail shipping. They were also happy to answer all my questions over the phone after I placed my order so that I could get to work as soon as it arrived.

After my bike's first service on Monday, I set out to get it installed. The first thing I realized is that the owner's manual is useless and the photos it provides are so horribly cropped that I couldn't even tell what I was looking at. The next logical choice was to take pictures of each panel before removing them as I disassembled the bike with particular focus on each screw/bolt and their respective locations and organizing each panel's fasteners in a muffin pan.

It took me about an hour in total to disassemble the bike (blindly feeling out the clips and retainers) and get the tank up in the air. I found the ECU directly on top of the air filter box, secured by a rubber retainer ring. I followed the simple instructions provided by FTECU to connect the Datalink bike harness and had the ECU reprogrammed in all of 30 minutes using the one and only non-stock image FTECU provides (name implies it is for a slip on, but my bike is 100% stock). I started it up to make sure it still ran (yes, I was a bit worried, haha), then I managed to put the bike back together in all of about 30 minutes. All said and done, the installation was a breeze and the total time to disassemble the bike, install the programmer, flash the ECU, and reassemble the bike was only around 2 hours! The only tools I needed were a 10mm socket and ratchet, a phillips screw driver, two allen keys, and a toothpick. Also, the FTECU software was super easy to navigate and use.

Soon as it was all back together I jumped on and went for a ride, and let me tell you.. this programmer changed everything! It was like a whole new bike! It rode so smooth through every single gear, with zero throttle lag or snatch, and I was able to easily cruise through my neighborhood on the way out at 25-30mph with no problem. I can actually maintain speeds in any gear! As for the transition from deceleration to acceleration and roll on through corners, it is now as smooth as can be. It has definitely given me a noticeable increase in power and overall performance, but most importantly, it now rides like a dream! To my utter surprise, the exhaust even sounds better with a pleasantly louder and lower rumble at lower RPMs, and a more aggressive tone at higher RPMs.

Next up, I'll be reporting back with updates on the rest of my mods as they arrive. I think I'm going to wait for everything to get here before taking it all apart again as I'd rather do it all at once. I hope this helps someone facing the same concerns I was!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Hi

Whilst I agree with some of your comments.(I have an flashed ECU using FTECU harness and software and it's a huge improvement) the bit about reducing the revs makes no sense whatsoever.

Reflashing an ECU cannot possibly change the gearing, only changing the sprockets, wheels or tyres can do that.....

Secondly the idea of holding a phone whilst doing a full throttle acceleration run is just crazy........

·
Registered
974 Posts
I was wondering the same questions that Paul asked while I was reading your post , so what exactly have you done with the flash to get the improvements ?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Clearly he's not a pro and a DIY. Give the guy some leeway with his explanation. He's clearly excited it has fixed the feel of the bike for him. And just like many of us he continues to try new mods posted on this forum. This forum can have a real negative tone on people not viewed as experts.

Welcome to the forums Gixxis.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Tbh I agree with what gsxsdrew said but I can also see what PhuketPaul tried to point out.
I also know naff all about all this flashing lark and appreciate having things like that pointed out.

Perhaps what gixxis is saying, the engine feels more eager and less laboured at those revs or speed??

Either way I'm glad your happy with your bike and it's new flash, it's good to hear from people trying these things (those who are very capable and those not so). I will eventually be doing an exhaust, filter and some sort of map flash etc

How does that brake flasher work? Does it flash all the time the brake is on or just under hard braking?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
91 Posts
Congadulations Gixxis. I also have the FTECU kit, but, have held off using it as other things I have read have made me have second thoughts about it. However, I think tomorrow will be the day. Which fuel map did you use? Was it a map found in the FTECU software?

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
I don't think our bikes do 120mph in 2nd. I think I saw 106mph a few times right before the rev limiter, could be wrong.

But no way would a flash change the max speed in each gear. If you want to change the max speed per gear you can either change the actual transmission gears or sprockets.

Glad you like the bike more though, I'm super glad I didn't get a snatchy bike when I got mine.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Congadulations Gixxis. I also have the FTECU kit, but, have held off using it as other things I have read have made me have second thoughts about it. However, I think tomorrow will be the day. Which fuel map did you use? Was it a map found in the FTECU software?
Hi Bemil,

What things have made you have second thoughts about using the FTECU software? as far as I am concerned it is all good with no downsides.

There is a just 1 map available from FTECU at the moment and it is optimised for a slip-on, it remove limits makes it faster, smoother, more responsive and allows you to switch off various parameters like O2, SET valve etc.

If you have more mods such as intake, full exhaust etc you will need another Map. I will post mine as soon as it is perfect

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi Bemil,

What things have made you have second thoughts about using the FTECU software? as far as I am concerned it is all good with no downsides.

There is a just 1 map available from FTECU at the moment and it is optimised for a slip-on, it remove limits makes it faster, smoother, more responsive and allows you to switch off various parameters like O2, SET valve etc.

If you have more mods such as intake, full exhaust etc you will need another Map. I will post mine as soon as it is perfect
Right you are. What made me have second thoughts was reading how several people have tried tunes, tps adjustment, new ecu's, pc5 and dynos, etc. and having results varying from "cured" to "time to try something else". Having limited experience with tuning I was thinking of waiting for the definitive fix. However, it's too much fun to play, so...
I downloaded the ftecu software and watched all of the youtube videos today, but, didn't have time for the install. It really doesn't seem like a daunting task after going over everything. I think removing and reinstalling the fairing (I have an F model) will be the hardest part. I'm a little dissapointed they don't offer disabling the fuel cut. Looking forward to installing hopefully in a few days. Since I'll have the tank up, I'll probably do the tps adjustment also.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Right you are. What made me have second thoughts was reading how several people have tried tunes, tps adjustment, new ecu's, pc5 and dynos, etc. and having results varying from "cured" to "time to try something else". Having limited experience with tuning I was thinking of waiting for the definitive fix. However, it's too much fun to play, so...

I downloaded the ftecu software and watched all of the youtube videos today, but, didn't have time for the install. It really doesn't seem like a daunting task after going over everything. I think removing and reinstalling the fairing (I have an F model) will be the hardest part. I'm a little dissapointed they don't offer disabling the fuel cut. Looking forward to installing hopefully in a few days. Since I'll have the tank up, I'll probably do the tps adjustment also.

Removing the fairing first is a little daunting but after doing it once it's not too bad, just besure to place something on the tank cover when removing the top side panel or you will scratch it, I placed a rag on it but it moved and scratched it and next time I think I will put duct tape on it till im done, if you are unsure what I mean let us know and I will take a photo for you as many people have reporting scratching it.
Once the top panels are off which are simple when you have done it once you can then see all the screws that need to be removed.
I have not tried it but I wondered if it was possible and apparently it is but if you loosing the top of the fairing you can get someone to help to spread it apart to lift the tank without completely removing the fairing but I think it's not too bad anyway once you get started.

Also apparently the fuel but disable will be in a future free update in FTECU
Hope that helps

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I bought the "Datalink" bike harness which is permanently installed on my bike now. I placed the programming connector under the seat for easy access later.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'VE looked at my bike manual and an online service manual showing steps on removing the fairing, I'm ready. I will take your advice on protecting the tank, I like the gaffer
tape idea.
Paul, just looked at your post on your bike mods, looks AWSOME!
I bought the ftecu bike kit. I don'the understand the benefit of the bench kit, it seems so convenient to have a permanent plug under my seat, especially when the fuel cut option becomes available. Thanks for the info guys.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I'VE looked at my bike manual and an online service manual showing steps on removing the fairing, I'm ready. I will take your advice on protecting the tank, I like the gaffer

tape idea.

Paul, just looked at your post on your bike mods, looks AWSOME!

I bought the ftecu bike kit. I don'the understand the benefit of the bench kit, it seems so convenient to have a permanent plug under my seat, especially when the fuel cut option becomes available. Thanks for the info guys.

The idea of the bench kit is if you want to flash more ECU's as you can buy a licence to flash more and this allows you to do the job without installing it on a bike, also some bikes have very easy access to the ECU like just under seat and they clip out very easy and don't require the permanent wire changes to be made to the harness but our bike is not the easy

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Hi Guy's, when my bike went in for service, and adjust of the TPS, I used clear sticky tape, like for writing paper. I didn't want the Dealer Staff to stuff my paint.
It was still there when I picked it up, so I felt I crossed a demarcation line and the satanic mechanic's had their pride in their work doubted.
Not so good an idea that tape, as the glue must have baked on parked out in the hot sun. The glue needed softening with kerosene to get it off.
I was going to use electrical insulation tape, but like masking tape, I had none at hand.

Rob.

·
Registered
50 Posts
3M Blue painters tape. We use it at my work to put service tags in windows of vehicles. You can peel if off after 6+ months of direct sunlight with no residue. If it gets wet then all bets are off though...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts