GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2016 Suzuki GSX-S1000F red/black
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I just got my self a 2016 GSX-S1000F, red and black and it's a beautyful bike. Can't wait for the snow to melt off.

One problem though, my windshield is cracked so I've ordered a new one, aftermarket tinted. But when trying to remove the old windshield I can't get the screws to unscrew. I've managed to get a hand in under and it feels as if the screws are screwed in to small rubber (or like it) nuts or stoppers that just keeps rotating with the screw. I'm not sure how to put it in words. Does this sound correct, I've seen in videos how the screws just comes out normally when unscrewing.

I might be able to find a solution if I could get better access to the backside/inside of the plastic details holding the windshield screws, but i can't figure out how to remove the front fairing, the red one just above the headlights.
In several other posts there are PDF-files referenced with instructions on fairing removal, but none seem to be working active links. Is there any known other ways to source these or other similar documents?

Thanks!

· Registered
85 Posts
One problem though, my windshield is cracked so I've ordered a new one, aftermarket tinted. But when trying to remove the old windshield I can't get the screws to unscrew. I've managed to get a hand in under and it feels as if the screws are screwed in to small rubber (or like it) nuts or stoppers that just keeps rotating with the screw. I'm not sure how to put it in words. Does this sound correct, I've seen in videos how the screws just comes out normally when unscrewing.
This doesn't seem correct.

I just went downstairs to try to unscrew my 2016 F model's stock windshield, and the expected behavior of the screws is the same as the observed behavior. The expanding rubber nuts/stoppers should indeed stay still when you turn the screws.

· Registered
33 Posts
Hello!

I just got my self a 2016 GSX-S1000F, red and black and it's a beautyful bike. Can't wait for the snow to melt off.

I might be able to find a solution if I could get better access to the backside/inside of the plastic details holding the windshield screws, but i can't figure out how to remove the front fairing, the red one just above the headlights.
In several other posts there are PDF-files referenced with instructions on fairing removal, but none seem to be working active links. Is there any known other ways to source these or other similar documents?

Thanks!
If you remove the instrument panel you can get to the underside of the screen screws which should help you remove them

· Registered
44 Posts
Those rubber coated nuts can push out of position and fall into the fairing recesses.
Maybe a two person job unless you have arms like an ape. One to get under and hold the nut while the other turns the screwdriver.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you remove the instrument panel you can get to the underside of the screen screws which should help you remove them
Is this very hard to manage, remove the instrument panel? I can't even figure out how to remove the front fairing, haven't given it more than 20 minutes, but still...

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Those rubber coated nuts can push out of position and fall into the fairing recesses.
Maybe a two person job unless you have arms like an ape. One to get under and hold the nut while the other turns the screwdriver.
Probably depending condition of the rubber coated nuts, but do you think it's possible to get them back in correct position or do I have to try and find new ones?

· Registered
177 Posts
A simple thing to try before pulling everything apart would be to grab the side of the screen you are trying to loosen with your free and and pull on it slightly to add some tension while unscrewing the screw. This has worked for me many times in the past.

· Registered
44 Posts
Probably depending condition of the rubber coated nuts, but do you think it's possible to get them back in correct position or do I have to try and find new ones?
I took my screen off and when screwing it back on one screw would just flop round and turn and turn. The rubber encased nut was not there. I took the screen off again and searched for the nut. It was lodged down inside the fairing.
Getting the nut back in place took a bit of fiddling and pushing but it went back into place ok.... eventually.

· Registered
572 Posts
A simple thing to try before pulling everything apart would be to grab the side of the screen you are trying to loosen with your free and and pull on it slightly to add some tension while unscrewing the screw. This has worked for me many times in the past.
this …. And replace the rubber well nuts with new ones when done 👍

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Ok, so I finally managed to remove the broken windshield. By putting more than slight pressure sideways on the windshield.
I've found some offbrand replacements for the rubber well nuts, will see if they fit properly, but they are supposed to be a fitting replacement.

Thank you all so far! 🙏
I'll update when I've progressed further.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts