GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I removed my PAIR setup from my 2016 GSX-S1000, installed block off plates, and made/installed a PAIR resistor/plug.

This is not a step by step tutorial. Only a brief description on what I did for my removal/modification/install.

My motorcycle did not have a canister to be removed.

Removed all parts to get to the PAIR system.

I removed the PAIR system.

Removed the 2 valve assemblies and removed the screws from the reed valves.

Reinstall the 2 valve assemblies (less reed valves), install the new plates and bolts.

I cut down the plug for the air box because it was too long for my liking, and then installed it. Use the clamp from the stock hose to secure this plug.

If you do not want to remove the PAIR system, but only want to block the air supply to it, you would need to plug where the small yellow circle is in the picture below. A marble was a common plug used in older GSX-R1000s. USE A LARGE OBJECT THAT WILL PLUG THE HOSE AND WILL NOT GET SUCKED BACK INTO THE AIR BOX---YOU DO NOT WANT ANYTHING TO BE SUCKED INTO THE AIR BOX AND THEN INTO YOUR ENGINE. I have seen the stem on the air box taped up and then the hose was reinstalled on top of the tape as another plug option.

Now for the PAIR resistor plug.

I purchased the parts to make the plug myself for under $10.00, but I had to figure out how to make it. Making it was kinda easy but took some planning. Below are some pictures showing the progression of building the resistor plug.

After the resistor plug is completed, install it and zip-tie to protect it from damage.

That is all! Now reassemble the parts.

Before I put my motorcycle back together, I did remove the air box baffle, install a K&N air filter, and apply a Thermal Shielding on the top and bottom of the air box. Here is a link to that post.
http://www.gsxs1000.org/forum/gsxs-1000-appearance-modifications/32426-air-box-thermal-barrier-installed-dei-reflect-gold-kit.html#post227946

Reactions: gritty

·
Registered
82 Posts
I removed my PAIR setup from my 2016 GSX-S1000, installed block off plates, and made/installed a PAIR resistor/plug.
Can you please try and re-post the pictures of the resistor plug? They haven't uploaded correctly in your previous post

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you please try and re-post the pictures of the resistor plug? They haven't uploaded correctly in your previous post
Not sure what happened. I reloaded the last two images. Can you see them now?

Reactions: KiwiJaZ

·
Registered
451 Posts
Thats a nice write up and thank you.

Fro those of us who lack the skill, desire, or tools to make the resistor part, I found this on ebay. Its pretty cheap.

PAIR SMOG Valve Removal kit eliminator Suzuki GSXR 750 2006-2016

Its really on you to make your wife believe you've ordered motorcycle parts from Greese. On second thought, maybe just build your own...

I wondered where the gasket comes from as I never saw the new plates with a gasket. If I'm understanding this correctly, the gasket is basically reused after you remove the reeds?

Again, thank you. I can see the images just fine.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks.

No gaskets are needed because there is a rubber seal made into the reed valve frame that the new plates seal against. That's why the frame has to be reinstalled after the reed valves are removed.

The screws holding the reed valves to the frame protrude outward and will impede the new plates from sealing correctly.

For my PAIR system removal, all that was needed was a resistor plug, the new plates, and one rubber plug for the bottom of the air box.

If you want to avoid making or buying a resistor plug... the PAIR solenoid can be left plugged into the harness (to prevent an error code), after the reed valves and the extra hoses are removed.

·
Registered
152 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
@Rod Bacon, Please Keep it , you need a lot of them.

If you know some info on the connector and willing to share it, please do or else please ....
If you notice I didn't quote your post, which indicates that I wasn't responding to your question. Just because it was the next post chronologically, doesn't mean it had anything to do with your post. My post was simply highlighting the fact that that the tried-and-tested "marble method" of blocking the PAIR system, is an equally valid solution.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The kit to make the connector costs $4.99. I picked up a resistor for $0.15 from a local store.

I made my own complete connector for $8.00.

You can spend less money for a marble, or... you can spend more money and buy the pre-built connector.

Reactions: 17105
1 - 15 of 15 Posts