GSXS 1000 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
True that a car is safer no doubt. I don't think he's comparing to a car. Just saying that a more visible motorcycle is safer than a less visible motorcycle.

One thing is for sure though - riding without the rear fender is terrible in wet weather, or even just wet pavement. Makes a mess everywhere.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Like I said there are lots of safe vehicles you can choose to drive. Your choice to ride a motorcycle, with all it's reflectors, lights and whateverinthefuck you glue on additionally is still a higher risk level than a rav4. We make our own choices.
I drive big cars too, small trucks and 18 wheelers, I used to drive a greyhound bus, guess what? I have been rear ended 4 times stopped in a traffic light and on slow traffic on the fwy while driving cars. I feel safer in my GSXS1000 now. I have not even had a close call yet (knocking wood), because now I own the streets and the Fwys of California. :p
My GSXS1000 is safer than a jet 747. A car is not safer than a motorcycle, you have more chances of dying on a car.
About 40,000 people die every year in car accidents in the US and only about 5,290 (the highest ever recorded in 2008) died in motorcycles accidents. Many of these riders died because they were under the influence of drugs, alcohol, they were not using the appropriate motorcycle attire, they modified something and went bad, no maintenance, etc.
Getting up from you bed is a risk, nobody knows if he will live tomorrow but at least is a good idea to try.
Well, it was my way to tell you guys to be safe :D
And without a rear fender I don't like to get my back wet when ridding while raining or wet areas.

·
Registered
218 Posts
True that a car is safer no doubt. I don't think he's comparing to a car. Just saying that a more visible motorcycle is safer than a less visible motorcycle.
If you use lots of precaution a good motorcycle is king. Don't get too close to cars or don't let cars get to close to you. Don't ever trust. Better to prevent a problem than dealing with a problem.

One thing is for sure though - riding without the rear fender is terrible in wet weather, or even just wet pavement. Makes a mess everywhere.
Yes, and you need to wash your jacket and your bike more often.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Ok, and how many autos are registered vs motos? What's the average miles driven vs rode? I'll give you a hint, the auto numbers are many multiples higher. But I'm glad you feel safe.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I feel safer in my GSXS1000 now. I have not even had a close call yet (knocking wood), because now I own the streets and the Fwys of California. :p
That's exactly the type of mentality that gets motorcyclists killed.

My GSXS1000 is safer than a jet 747.
Wow. Wrong, just wrong.

A car is not safer than a motorcycle, you have more chances of dying on a car.
Wrong again.

About 40,000 people die every year in car accidents in the US and only about 5,290 (the highest ever recorded in 2008) died in motorcycles accidents.
You didn't stop to consider how many motorcyclists there are vs. automobile drivers. Motorcycle death rates are WAY higher than cars.

·
Registered
218 Posts
There are little lies, medium lies, big lies, super big lies and the statistics. According to statistics Hillary Clinton was going to win the presidency :D
In more than 40 years of driving in Los Angeles, I have never seen a motorcycle fatality, yet even lawyers say that there is a motorcycle fatality every day just in Los Angeles.
However, I believe that majority of people hate motorcycles and most of the motorcycles accidents are caused by riders who are under the influence of a drug, driving recklessly, not using appropriate attire, modification of their bikes, no maintenance, no training, etc.

Some very experimented riders say that if you get hit by a car or you hit a car you have no business ridding a bike, you better stay in your living room drinking a beer.:love:

·
Registered
218 Posts
Ok, and how many autos are registered vs motos? What's the average miles driven vs rode? I'll give you a hint, the auto numbers are many multiples higher. But I'm glad you feel safe.
I have never seen a motorcycle fatality in real life, but I have seen plenty of youtube videos where always the motorcycle rider has no business ridding a bike. Ridding a bike is not like driving a car, you need really major skills to handle a bike properly. Cars drive themselves, anyone can get into a car and get into any street, having an accident and most of the time just get a scratch.

It is true, ridding a bike without training, without appropriate attire, no maintenance, bad attitude, under the influence of drugs, bad weather conditions, bad road, not practicing enough, bad visibility, reckless driving, modifications to the bike, unsuitable bike for you, bad breaking, bad calculation, assuming right of way, not inspecting the bike before ridding, etc. are factors to be taken very seriously to avoid an accident because you may die just by falling from the bike as opposed to a car accident.

The goal here is to "avoid" vs. "get hit and still survive". Like pedestrians that get hit and die, the goal is to avoid the car vs. getting hit and survive the accident, that would be impossible. In cars you have some kind of metal cage protection but motorcycles have nothing, therefore it is imperative that one uses all means to prevent getting hit period.

Of course many people give a sheet about all these factors and that is what it may get you killed. Just look around and observe other motorcycle riders, do you see them all complying with all these factors? I bet the answer is no.

·
Registered
218 Posts
The factory fender is effective for preventing water and debris from being thrown up by the rear wheel. Everything else you write is nonsense.
I don't expect you to agree with me, though. It's is just my humble opinion, I don't appreciate your tone of aggressiveness.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
DUDES!! The OP was merely asking for reco's on a tail tidy and other basic mods for his new bike, not whether or not he should. Looks like you have totally scared him away -
A contributing Forum member should at all times stick to the intention of the thread and try to provide useful information that directly addresses the OP's original post, not hijack the thread and change the subject. I'm sure you can appreciate what I am saying here.

By the way, I am very happy with my Vagabond tail tidy.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hard to not address some of things he was saying. Thread derailment is just part of forum life sometimes though haha. But you're right, back to the subject matter. I made my own tail tidy out of some stainless brackets and a sheet of ABS.

·
Registered
643 Posts
He went with the vagabond, he'll be happy with it. If he chooses to swap back to factory in inclement weather he can in 30 minutes and reuse everything without modification. That's what I do. It's an excellent choice and was settled in the 3rd post.
If he's worried about reflectors he can glue them to the entire length of his bike.

·
Registered
218 Posts
DUDES!! The OP was merely asking for reco's on a tail tidy and other basic mods for his new bike, not whether or not he should. Looks like you have totally scared him away -
A contributing Forum member should at all times stick to the intention of the thread and try to provide useful information that directly addresses the OP's original post, not hijack the thread and change the subject. I'm sure you can appreciate what I am saying here.

By the way, I am very happy with my Vagabond tail tidy.
Because this is a general discussion forum there is always ramifications to talk about other things that may or may not be of interest.
The bike is yours and you can do whatever you want with it. You can ride your bike in first gear at 80 mph all day long but that does not mean that is a good thing to do. You may like the sound at 11,500 rpm though. I see lots of people reving their bikes at very high rpm for no reason, they just like the sound, but complain that their bikes have a very poor MPG:LOL:

By the way, I wonder if the OP adjusted his front break and clutch levers to fit well his hands before replacing the factory fender on his bike.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you are worried about reflectors on the sides then get wheel tape that highly reflective. My wheel tape is extremely bright under very little light hitting it. I got it on Amazon, its from customTaylor33. I got my bike from a dealer but it is a pre-owned. The reflectors and other things were missing from the get go.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
Alright so I haven't had a chance to check this thread in a couple days since I've been busy breaking in my new gsxs1000. It seems the conversations definitely has derailed!

My 2 cents. This is my 5th motorcycle. I have deleted fenders off every motorcycle I've owned. I'm not worried about the debris hitting my tail; it can cleaned. I'm not worried about the lack of the reflectors in the sides missing, either. There's some on the forks, anyhow!

My vagabond comes tomorrow and I'll be installing it asap! 👌 Super appreciate the info on buying it!

In other news, I've got 420 (nice) miles on my GSXS, I've done my first oil change on it already. Loving every moment I'm on the bike. It can seriously rip up some twisties! As a rider with a primarily supersport background, this bike is amazing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
That tail that look ugly to you guys is there for some good reasons. Where are the red reflectors the go on the sides? Those are the ones that may save your life when crossing for others to see you and still they may have time to break and not hitting you.

For me at least, the first one is to avoid getting my back or my stop light full of dirt when I hit a wet area and the most important reason is for others to see you when you are crossing.

I did the big mistake to removing the rear fender of my Grom and I get my back dirty every time I pass thru a wet place.
So far, I have not changed anything on my GSXS1000, I love the way it is now.
Here you can have it, buddy.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts