GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone already did a TPS adjustment on a 2018 gsx-s?

Like almost everyone I have the snatchy throttle problem and tried to do a TPS adjustment but, when in service mode, I cannot see the dash near the C00.

Any ideias?

·
Registered
50 Posts

Like almost everyone I have the snatchy throttle problem and tried to do a TPS adjustment but, when in service mode, I cannot see the dash near the C00.

Any ideias?
Im sure i have seen a post saying the newer models have to be done with a breakout harness and voltage check:(

·
Registered
86 Posts
Im sure i have seen a post saying the newer models have to be done with a breakout harness and voltage check:(
I have a 2018 and you need the breakout harness....

I don't think it made great deal of difference on mine. I thought it did at the time, it's just a sensitive throttle. I believe a throttle tamer might be a better option.

I do a lot of filtering/lane splitting at low speed and sometimes it catches me off guard.... I've yet to fit a tamer myself....

·
Registered
719 Posts
I have a 2018. I remember putting the throttle tamer on the 2016 and didn't think it made it big difference but when I put it on the 2018 I thought it made a significant difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
107 Posts
Have you adjusted your throttle cable? Taking a little bit of slack out helped my 2016. I didn't have the constant throttle issue though. I just have the issue where it was a little abrupt. I also have the "issue" where the bike feels jittery at low RPM.

·
Registered
184 Posts
It may mean the TPS is way out of the detection range. Mine was like that. I had to keep advancing it until the lines cam up.
This was a good way to let engines through emissions that does not involve software intervention. After I did my TPS,
it ran super smooth with no shuddering, or on/off.

Any ideias?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, I did have adjusted the throttle cable and the on-off did smooth slightly but not enough. Did not help the constant throttle at all

·
Registered
28 Posts
QUOTE=adrianpeds;346706]It may mean the TPS is way out of the detection range. Mine was like that. I had to keep advancing it until the lines cam up.
This was a good way to let engines through emissions that does not involve software intervention. After I did my TPS,
it ran super smooth with no shuddering, or on/off.[/QUOTE]

Short answer is that it does not mean its out of detection range. According to Suzuki the TPS adjustment is not done this way on the L8.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
can or will adjusting TPS raise or lower idle.....im not looking to adjust idle its just a question
It shouldn't(but it could if it's too far out). All the throttle position sensor is doing is letting the ECU know where the butterflies are and how quick the throttle has been opened. By adding that information to the crank sensors the ECU will then alter the timing to give the best spark interval.
The main problem is, if the ECU is getting the (slightly) wrong information, it in turn, works out a slightly wrong ignition timing.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
It shouldn't(but it could if it's too far out). All the throttle position sensor is doing is letting the ECU know where the butterflies are and how quick the throttle has been opened. By adding that information to the crank sensors the ECU will then alter the timing to give the best spark interval.
The main problem is, if the ECU is getting the (slightly) wrong information, it in turn, works out a slightly wrong ignition timing.
thanks for info.....

·
Registered
327 Posts
Thank you guys for your help. I will be installing a PCV soon and hope that the problem will be solved
Go with the PCV and it will help lots. I did the TPS and the PCV and the throttle is more responsive, smoother and it doesn't "hunt" giving a much nicer ride. However the so called throttle snatch is always going to be present on powerful fuel injected bikes. It's the nature of the beast. Good throttle control is the most necessary skill to minimise jerkiness.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I started off with TPS adjustment and throttle cable slack adjustment with a throttle tamer on my 2015, these 3 upgrades certainly smoothed the bike out but the on / off jerky throttle was still present. After adding a PCv with custom map and having the woolich base flash, part of which included the deactivation on fuel cut at low rev closed throttle, the bike is now super smooth with almost perfect fueling, this in my view is the only route to go to get the bike how it always should have been............... before EU restrictions strangled it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Also, never do a PCV tune without doing the TPS first.

Any ideias?
Go with the PCV and it will help lots. I did the TPS and the PCV and the throttle is more responsive, smoother and it doesn't "hunt" giving a much nicer ride. However the so called throttle snatch is always going to be present on powerful fuel injected bikes. It's the nature of the beast. Good throttle control is the most necessary skill to minimise jerkiness.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi All

I did the Throttle Tamer and TPS. Still snatchy, but not quite as bad. Accelerator like a jack in the box.

Spoke to Dealer who said, "work in progress", which I presume is code for Suzuki can't or won't fix it. Quote was Suzuki won't pay to put an after-market part on to fix it (PC5).

Anyone had a Dealer 'fix' it?

Disgruntled owner.

New England

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2017 model and there is no dash next to the 'C00'. I will just bare the wires to access he voltage reading and then re-sleeve them after it.
I have ridden bikes for years, my bike is very jerky and verified by my biker mate who is also experienced with bikes, I expect my TPS to be way out but I'll let you know.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I've got a 2019 model and did the TPS the other day and set it to 1.13v the bike is much better .did this on the advice of Paul on this forum .

1 - 20 of 42 Posts