GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got this bike and want to change oil soon. Wondering to go with Full synthetic like Castrol Power 1 or semi blended Actevo or Castrol 4T Go!? It has like 4800 miles on it. Thanks

·
Registered
236 Posts
Same price as everyone else if you are preferred customer

I paid for 10’years at once
Now I just reap at cost value

·
Registered
12 Posts
Long as it's JASO MA certified your bike won't know the difference. If you follow the service intervals it won't care if you use synthetic vs. mineral. You're better off using the cheap stuff and changing it often. The unicorn piss they claim to put in the $10 a quart stuff doesn't really help.

In my youth I had a ZX10 that ever only got car oil, whatever was on sale. I sold it with 50k on the clock and it ran like the day it was made. Did change the oil religiously and still do.

·
Registered
12 Posts
BTW: Don't know how the other F folks do it but I take out the bolts on the bottom right panel and pull it away from the fasteners. That will give you enough room to get your hand in to remove the old filter after you unscrew it. I've been using K&N filters only because they are easier to screw in. Clean up the mess you will make on the exhaust pipes, reclip and tighten the panel back up and your done.

·
Registered
12 Posts
BTW: Don't know how the other F folks do it but I take out the bolts on the bottom right panel and pull it away from the fasteners. That will give you enough room to get your hand in to remove the old filter after you unscrew it. I've been using K&N filters only because they are easier to screw in. Clean up the mess you will make on the exhaust pipes, reclip and tighten the panel back up and your done.
I find draping a used Tyvec envelope (FedEx etc.) over the pipes will allow the oil from the filter to miss the pipes. Plastic sheet/bag works better but not a good idea if the pipes are hot.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts