GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All! Would you think about trading current gixus if Suzuki incorporated technologies from new Gixer? Of course it would probably then cost as much as the Euro Brand Xs losing one of its main advantages. Maybe that's not a deal breaker if it also came with upgraded suspension and sorted fueling, bag mount options, etc? :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi! It depends on intent and style of riding. If I would be going to a track, or have aggressive style, I would strongly consider the upgrades. But I, mainly, use it for commuting in urban environment and my reason of getting gsxs was its simplicity. Bag mounts and sorted fueling would be main reasons for me to maybe considering the switch. cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
415 Posts
For the bike to remain competitive, they need to advance the level of technology. Simply upgrading the suspension would be a good start. It depends on who they are wanting to compete with- the S1000R, new Ninja/Z1000, or the new Speed Triple.

·
Registered
433 Posts
For the bike to remain competitive, they need to advance the level of technology. Simply upgrading the suspension would be a good start. It depends on who they are wanting to compete with- the S1000R, new Ninja/Z1000, or the new Speed Triple.
I rather like the bike to be barebones as it is now and allowing us a lower up front cost so we can upgrade what parts we want.

example, i need a really good rear shock, so im replacing a really cheap stock one for a nitron. If they put a good shock in the rear its more money thrown out when i replace it. Im happy with the way it is now.

I feel suzukis are for people that buy a good platform to build on and customize for themselves.

If you want something complete out of the box youd have to get something much more expensive. For me I like the cheap up front cost leaving lots of $ for upgrades as I see fit, not as the manufacturer sees fit. (usually a budget analyst behind a desk)

MY choice of:
power commander with my map
arrow headers smoothing out the torque dip
look of the akrapovic
nitron rear shock with my specific style and weight build
diablo rosso corsa 3
and most annoyingly the mirrors replaced with folding bar end mirrors..

all stuff I can upgrade at my pace, when im ready.
and at the end of the day still cheaper than the competition without the reliability issues :-D

all of these replace initial fairly cheap parts that do the job but allow me to choose. Yay suzuki... I think they get it!

·
Registered
719 Posts
i do like that the bike comes relatively simple but good out of the box (crate)....if you dont bother to upgrade still runs great. That offers a good starting platform. I wish they were a little more like cars though, where you can order the "sport package".....upgraded suspension/exhaust/different ecu map....whatever.....I think they could parter with nitron or some other company and probably come up with an attractive OEM package.....but what do I know? I just like oem stuff because it always fits so much better.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From the responses, we appreciate the affordably simple but solid nature of the gixis. I, too, was thinking of an OEM upgrade package as suggested by dqban. That could preserve the price point for those looking for it, but also provide the technology and correct OEM fit for those that felt like spending the $$. And I'm curious how effective Suzuki's version of VVT will be.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Hi All! Would you think about trading current gixus if Suzuki incorporated technologies from new Gixer? Of course it would probably then cost as much as the Euro Brand Xs losing one of its main advantages. Maybe that's not a deal breaker if it also came with upgraded suspension and sorted fueling, bag mount options, etc?
Comes back to " If you want a fixer go buy one "

·
Registered
437 Posts
Hi All! Would you think about trading current gixus if Suzuki incorporated technologies from new Gixer? Of course it would probably then cost as much as the Euro Brand Xs losing one of its main advantages. Maybe that's not a deal breaker if it also came with upgraded suspension and sorted fueling, bag mount options, etc?
Comes back to " If you want a gixxer go buy one "

Reactions: dekker

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
danGTS, Its pure speculation. I was fishing for a hot button that might actually motivate current owners to "trade up." And would the hypothetical availability of technology be an actual hook, or are Gixus owners satisfied with "best bang for the buck?"

·
Registered
845 Posts
I would have gladly paid more for a few improvements, better suspension, better rear brake and a quick shifter. I LOVE LOVE the quick-shifter pro on my BMW.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I would have gladly paid more for a few improvements, better suspension, better rear brake and a quick shifter. I LOVE LOVE the quick-shifter pro on my BMW.
though i agree that I might have paid more for some worthwile OEM upgrades i think its important to keep the "base" model available. This would allow people to upgrade the parts they want.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I think the OP was pretty much saying is; would you guys be excited for a change of the gsxs to compete with more advanced bikes. And most people are responding that they don't want that because they enjoy the price of this bike and don't care what others think.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Yes I would but only up to a point, if the gsxs had all what the others have but the same price then I would probably buy a s1000r.
I did not pick the gsxs because I liked it not having any new tech in it, I bought it because I'm too tight to stump up half again just for them because then I could have stuck renthals on a gsxr or had a s1000r. However I would have paid for a better model which come with the engine that suzuki sold us in the brouchers...a detuned gsxr k5 engine which I came to realise is not what it is. I would have paid for better suspension, quickshifter and better throttle to save me messing about bodging on aftermarket items.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
719 Posts
I think that's the beauty of this bike. The nearest competitor in my eyes is something like a BMW S 1000r, but that bike cost twice as much. If I were to take only half of the difference that I saved and apply that to upgrades on my bike I genuinely believe it would far outstrip the BMW

·
Registered
538 Posts
I think that's the beauty of this bike. The nearest competitor in my eyes is something like a BMW S 1000r, but that bike cost twice as much. If I were to take only half of the difference that I saved and apply that to upgrades on my bike I genuinely believe it would far outstrip the BMW

Where do you live? S1000r is twice as much...
Rrp here is 9599 (can be had for 8000 as there not selling) for gsx and 10705 for s1000r (11500 Inc "necessary" extras) no discounts as they sell well

·
Registered
719 Posts
I got my GSX for just under nine and the BMW S 1000r runs 15 to 16 for the entry level in South Florida and it approaches 20 if you get all those bells and whistles that actually make it something special

https://www.cycletrader.com/dealers...ay-866850/listing/2016-BMW-S-1000-R-116667083

Not exactly South Florida but this is close to Orlando. This is very typical pricing around here for this bike

·
Registered
538 Posts
I got my GSX for just under nine and the BMW S 1000r runs 15 to 16 for the entry level in South Florida and it approaches 20 if you get all those bells and whistles that actually make it something special

https://www.cycletrader.com/dealers...ay-866850/listing/2016-BMW-S-1000-R-116667083

Not exactly South Florida but this is close to Orlando. This is very typical pricing around here for this bike

That's a lot bigger gap than in the uk

·
Registered
310 Posts
I don't think anything could persuade me to trade in my GSXS. It's all the bike I need and its suspension, brakes, etc are more than adequate for my needs. But then I don't take it to the track, I guess if you do you want the cutting edge racing tech that the superbikes have. Although in that case, I don't know why you wouldn't just buy a supersport/superbike. I wouldn't want more technology or a quick shifter, more tech just means more stuff to break down, and more difficult to work on. I predict I'll keep this bike for a long time.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts