GSXS 1000 Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
I knwo we cant really add cornering abs, but for 1500.00 we can have better suspension than BMW has.

Thats soemthing Id much rather add, myself, than have to pay for , up front, then pay to have it revalved.

Look at the bmw forum and that thread where the esa electronic forks are the topic. All but impossible to set up for anyone other than the average weight owner.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I don't think anything could persuade me to trade in my GSXS. It's all the bike I need and its suspension, brakes, etc are more than adequate for my needs. But then I don't take it to the track, I guess if you do you want the cutting edge racing tech that the superbikes have. Although in that case, I don't know why you wouldn't just buy a supersport/superbike. I wouldn't want more technology or a quick shifter, more tech just means more stuff to break down, and more difficult to work on. I predict I'll keep this bike for a long time.
The reason I can't ride supersports/superbikes is because my wrist and thumb are messed up after an accident otherwise I'd be on a new fireblade , the gsxs is marketed as an upright gsxr.
Yes tech might break but isn't that what warranty is for? Doesn't nessisarly mean it will break anyway.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
538 Posts
I knwo we cant really add cornering abs, but for 1500.00 we can have better suspension than BMW has.

Thats soemthing Id much rather add, myself, than have to pay for , up front, then pay to have it revalved.

Look at the bmw forum and that thread where the esa electronic forks are the topic. All but impossible to set up for anyone other than the average weight owner.
Maybe I'm an average rider weight, not sure, all I know is the bmw suspension is awesome

Can the gsx really be made better? I'll reserve judgement until I've tried it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
It all depends of what upgrade and at what cost. The price of the bike is one of its strength. I agree with most that it allows us to upgrades part as we want without overspending. However, one example that I would pay for is ~2000$ (CAN) for ~20 HP more (via engine internal upgrades or new RAM-air system). The stuff that is 'tougher' for us to upgrade. Which means we can then still add the sort of power that we do (on top of it) by upgrading the basics: header/exhaust/decat, ECU, air filter, etc. I'm not saying the bike lacks power, just that I would be willing to get even more. Suspension, I think I prefer picking up my own aftermarket myself. But nice ohlins at a decent price is never a bad option. As a base price, I'd think it would hurt the sells. But as an option, it would be great. I don't think this is the usual Suzuki way though. A traction control upgrade could worth a few hundreds to me.

·
Registered
719 Posts
It all depends of what upgrade and at what cost. The price of the bike is one of its strength. I agree with most that it allows us to upgrades part as we want without overspending. However, one example that I would pay for is ~2000$ (CAN) for ~20 HP more (via engine internal upgrades or new RAM-air system). The stuff that is 'tougher' for us to upgrade. Which means we can then still add the sort of power that we do (on top of it) by upgrading the basics: header/exhaust/decat, ECU, air filter, etc. I'm not saying the bike lacks power, just that I would be willing to get even more. Suspension, I think I prefer picking up my own aftermarket myself. But nice ohlins at a decent price is never a bad option. As a base price, I'd think it would hurt the sells. But as an option, it would be great. I don't think this is the usual Suzuki way though. A traction control upgrade could worth a few hundreds to me.
I wonder if they engineered these upgrades from the start how hard it would actually be. Design a couple of optional performance engine internals from day 1....they could easily be targeted at the more hardcore modder.....Its all about how they market it. Call it the "race" or "track" line. Given the option, a lot of people will choose the OEM option.....My last BMW CAR was great about this with their performance M line
(though a little pricy)....sway bars, air intakes, ECU reflash worth 25hp, brakes and all with factory warranty. (I know these things were more of the easy upgrades though).

Now that I think of it, I would love a suzuki version of "M" performance or "AMG", NISMO, ect...

I find the upgrading your bike is often part of the culture or experience of owning a bike....not having these options from the factory seems like a missed revenue opportunity

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
dqban wrote--
I find the upgrading your bike is often part of the culture or experience of owning a bike....not having these options from the factory seems like a missed revenue opportunity
Yes, Triumph have it right with the new Street Triple - 3 versions.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Maybe I'm an average rider weight, not sure, all I know is the bmw suspension is awesome

Can the gsx really be made better? I'll reserve judgement until I've tried it.

Awesoem as compared to what?

If its other stock bikes, then I'm in full agreement. It is pretty good, and a vast improvement over most bikes.

Awesome as compared to something set up for your weight by Traxxion Dynamics,, Ohlins, or a suspension company? No, no its not.

Ive tried it. BMW uses mid level Sachs technology. Much better than what most bikes come with, but its not in the league with custom.

No big deal for many people who can get good pricing on the BMW. For me, in my state, the BMW's price (with electronic suspension) starts out at 7000.00 more than the suzuki.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Here in Canada.
Gsxs 12600.....10000 sale
Bmw 17500......15100 sale
Tuono 15500. 13 000 sale
Z1000 14000. 12500 sale
Fz 10 15800. No sale prices yet.
For my money... Tuono...all day long....bike of the year....just kills jap bikes.
Remember.... That 10000 dollar bike needs ecu flash....shocks all done....exaust system....and lots of other mods....add it all up....could have had tuono cheaper....bmw is ok too....better if you do alot of track days....fz 10 is 133hp dynoed in USA model.
Probably getting a tuono here.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
174 Posts
Here in Canada.
Gsxs 12600.....10000 sale
Bmw 17500......15100 sale
Tuono 15500. 13 000 sale
Z1000 14000. 12500 sale
Fz 10 15800. No sale prices yet.
For my money... Tuono...all day long....bike of the year....just kills jap bikes.
Remember.... That 10000 dollar bike needs ecu flash....shocks all done....exaust system....and lots of other mods....add it all up....could have had tuono cheaper....bmw is ok too....better if you do alot of track days....fz 10 is 133hp dynoed in USA model.
Probably getting a tuono here.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk
I am sure you would not go wrong too. Tuono seem to be an awesome bike! Tuono and GSXS-1000FA were the 2 bikes I hesitated to buy. Obviously went for the Suz.

As for the Suz, I disagree that it absolutely needs an ECU. It's working perfectly fine as is for me. Throttle issue is not the end of the world, and if it is for you, I'm sure we can get our Suz dealer to update to the latest one, which apparently smooths out the throttle. 0$ and the 2018 will have that from factory. I'd personally be happy with keeping the bike stock as is, it's very good, but I'm sure I'll also be happy after I start to mod her.

So, in the end, the question is, are you willing to pay 3000$ more for your bike given what we know the Tuono gives you? The GSXS saves you 3000$. It's good if you keep it stock, and it's good if you will modify it no matter what (since you don't pay up front for higher price parts that you will replace).

Also keep in mind parts and maintenance will be more expansive on the Tuono. Likely less after market on the Tuono.

So, it's 3k for a bit more power and I'm sure better suspension/TC, probably more refinement, more expensive maintenance and less after-market. Either way, I'm sure you'll be happy with your purchase. There is no wrong choice here. They are both fairly priced I think, so I think you get what you pay for here. Good bang for the buck either way. Depends your plan and how much you want to spend. And also importantly, what your heart tells you.. :)

Cheers!

·
Registered
719 Posts
my understanding is that a lot of tuonos use a rotax engine.....is that the same engilne that can am/seadoo uses? In the can am/seadoo iterations they are nothing but headaches and really not all that impressive.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I never considered the Tuono due to the much smaller dealer network. If a suzuki breaks down in some small town, there's a good chance there's a suzuki dealer nearby who has the parts and knowledge to fix it. Also, Honda/Kawi/Yamaha dealers will usually work on Suzukis. If you bring in a Tuono to a shop that doesn't deal with Tuonos they will in most cases refuse to even look at it, except for the most basic repairs. This is not a concern if you live in a city with a tuono dealer and you never ride far from that city, but I like to go on long rides to remote areas. For this reason I don't think I'd ever buy a non-Japanese bike.

I also disagree that the GSXS "needs" ecu flash, shocks, etc. Mine is completely stock and I don't feel like I'm missing anything.

·
Registered
42 Posts
To reawaken this thread. I have the 2018 and can confirm it has VVT, as well as an Ohlins shock standard. Plus Pirelli corsa tires. 👍🏼

·
Registered
8 Posts
One of the reasons I want a GSX-S1000 is it doesn't have any unnecessary technology. Keep it as it is, Suzuki.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Good news, Goon. I want it keeping just as it is. ABS and traction control is enough. My B-King had neither!

21 - 39 of 39 Posts