GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello gents,

move had my gsxs 1000 for two years now bought new in 2018, with almost 12k on it now, since I got it it has had this horrible vibration in the bars, frame, pegs, but worst in the bars at 5-7k rpm. For the longest time I just accepted that because it was a solid triple clamp, that this was normal. But after seeing people both complain and complement the bikes smoothness, I believe something is wrong and I’ve been in the process of finding what helps. The bars vibrate so bad at 6k that my hand is numb after 10mins. So bad that I had a phone mount on it, and it vibrated the auto focus on my iPhone apart. After reading for hours, I can’t seem to find anything that works. The bars are filled with lead bbs, I have softer grips, I just synced the throttle bodies with a manometer, mine had a flash from FTEcu on it and I’ve adjusted both timing and fueling in those rpm ranges and nothing. So far for anyone else experiencing these problems, I’ve narrowed it down to 4 things left to try: checking the motor mount/re-torquing them to 40ft/lb, swapping the flywheel out with a k5/k6 flywheel, swapping the clutch basket as well since these are the two largest rotating masses either side of the crank, and that leaves number 4 and my worst fear: unbalanced internals ;(

the vibrations go away above 8k leading me to believe it may be harmonic, but I’ve ridden misfiring Harleys on 4 year old petrol that were smoother than this. Even single cylinder 2 strokes are smoother. Anyone else have any idea whatelse this could be or have ever found a solution?

I’ll post more updates on this as I go

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
but I’ve ridden misfiring Harleys on 4 year old petrol that were smoother than this. Even single cylinder 2 strokes are smoother. Anyone else have any idea whatelse this could be or have ever found a solution?
That just does not sound right at all. I've ridden quite a few MCs and mine is one of the smoothest I've owned.
I hope you find the issue.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
5K - 7K is the known main vibration range. Mine was a bit rough at first but went away as the miles built up. By about 2000 miles I no longer noticed it. At it's worst it was not a a problem, certainly nothing like you are experiencing.
Is the balance shaft in sync? I will look at the workshop manual when I get a moment to see what is involved.

Reactions: mike d

·
Registered
3 Posts
5K - 7K is the known main vibration range. Mine was a bit rough at first but went away as the miles built up. By about 2000 miles I no longer noticed it. At it's worst it was not a a problem, certainly nothing like you are experiencing.
Is the balance shaft in sync? I will look at the workshop manual when I get a moment to see what is involved.
The vibration issue is something I’ve heard lots of owners being concerned or bothered about. What is the cause of it and why would it go away For some after logging some miles? Has the cause ever been revealed? I’d like to know the pros and cons before buying one. Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
That is not normal. If anything, a buzz in the bar and pegs is normal, not a vibration the way you describe it. Are you sure all is in place and you have no misfires? It sounds like you covered all possibilities, but again, that does not sound right.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello gents,

move had my gsxs 1000 for two years now bought new in 2018, with almost 12k on it now, since I got it it has had this horrible vibration in the bars, frame, pegs, but worst in the bars at 5-7k rpm. For the longest time I just accepted that because it was a solid triple clamp, that this was normal. But after seeing people both complain and complement the bikes smoothness, I believe something is wrong and I’ve been in the process of finding what helps. The bars vibrate so bad at 6k that my hand is numb after 10mins. So bad that I had a phone mount on it, and it vibrated the auto focus on my iPhone apart. After reading for hours, I can’t seem to find anything that works. The bars are filled with lead bbs, I have softer grips, I just synced the throttle bodies with a manometer, mine had a flash from FTEcu on it and I’ve adjusted both timing and fueling in those rpm ranges and nothing. So far for anyone else experiencing these problems, I’ve narrowed it down to 4 things left to try: checking the motor mount/re-torquing them to 40ft/lb, swapping the flywheel out with a k5/k6 flywheel, swapping the clutch basket as well since these are the two largest rotating masses either side of the crank, and that leaves number 4 and my worst fear: unbalanced internals ;(

the vibrations go away above 8k leading me to believe it may be harmonic, but I’ve ridden misfiring Harleys on 4 year old petrol that were smoother than this. Even single cylinder 2 strokes are smoother. Anyone else have any idea whatelse this could be or have ever found a solution?

I’ll post more updates on this as I go
Well I've ridden bikes my whole life too...and recently came from a 2014 FZ09 to this 2018 GSXS 1000 ABS with a straight header to pipe set-up(Hurricane) and yes I know exactly what you're experiencing. Myself likewise practically the same thing you just explained. Not sure why but it is what it is I guess...

·
Registered
1,415 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Had problems editing my original post so am replying to myself here. 😕
Anyway the balance shaft is gear driven off the crankshaft and they are aligned with punch marks.
So if that is the problem it's an assembly error, total strip down to find out.:(

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
From what I’m reading, the countershaft has a “A” stamped into it and the crank gear has a “B” stamped into it. I suppose if all else fails, I’ll be splitting the case to check/replace it

·
Registered
350 Posts
If it vibrates that bad, it could be a manufacturing defect, bad maintenance, user abuse or a combination of these three factors that could develop into a bad tire, bent rim, warped rotor, sticking brake caliper, bad brake pad, bad sprocket, sticking piston, bad crankshaft bearing, cylinder misfire, bad spark plug, etc. A good mechanic should be able to determine what is the source of the problem.
I wouldn't ride this bike until this problem is resolved.

·
Registered
359 Posts
The bike is not dangerous to ride. The vibration may be more severe than usual but that's no reason to park the bike.

Handlebar vibration at 6300-ish rpm was quite severe on my bike, bad enough that it was painful to ride for more than a few seconds at that rpm. I was able to greatly reduce (better than 80%) the vibration by filling the bar with BBs and installing extra heavy bar end weights and thick foam grips. The OP said he has already done the BBs and foam grips, but heavy bar end weights (which he never mentioned) were also quite effective in further suppressing bar vibration for me. If the OP has bar end mirrors, he should consider getting rid of them in exchange for some really heavy bar end weights.

In my particular case it also helped greatly when I swapped to a 190/55 rear tire and swapped the sprockets for +1/-1 front/rear, which very significantly reduced the rpm the motor is spinning at any given road speed, such that I typically don't even visit 6300 rpm anymore unless I'm running 95 mph or faster, which I rarely do.

All of those changes have reduced bar vibration on my bike to the point that I'd actually forgotten about vibration anymore until I read about someone else having a problem with it.

If the OP has swapped his sprockets for shorter gearing (which may GSXS owners seem to love to do) that will put him higher in the rpm band for any given road speed, which will only exacerbate his problem.

·
Registered
487 Posts
My Bike vibes a bit also but I don’t give a dam I just ride the thing.
I suppose after riding v2s and parallel twins it just doesn’t bother me
you could always go up one tooth on the front might make a difference maybe?

·
Registered
350 Posts
My Bike vibes a bit also but I don’t give a dam I just ride the thing.
I suppose after riding v2s and parallel twins it just doesn’t bother me
you could always go up one tooth on the front might make a difference maybe?
I want to try to go up one tooth on the front sprocket and one tooth down on the rear sprocket to see if I like it. I guess that the RPM will go down considerably at higher speeds.

How do you like yours with one tooth up on the front sprocket? Have you tried to go one tooth down on the rear sprocket also? I noticed that going 7K rpm and above, this bike spends way too much gas.

I wish I could cruise at 4K rpm going about 100 MPH ~ 110 MPH in 6th gear.
I decated mine and at 7K ~ 8K rpm for short periods of time is making like 34 MPG, I guess if I max it about 11K or so, this bike would make do only like 15 MPG.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts