GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Broken as in not what I expected. It's showroom condition 1 year warranty and located in Denver.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Broken dream bike, Brand new 40 miles. Clean title in hand. $8000 firm just want to move on.
Beautiful bike... geez, I'd fly there and buy it myself, if I had spare time to do that then sell my current one. ... but I hardly have enough spare time to ride bluey. ;)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Disappointed in myself more that anything. Let the devil not the angel make the decision, just too old now to put all that handling to good use. Rather have something with longer legs as I suspected all along.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
It's a shame. Broken Dream's are always a sad outcome.
We can hope that given more time on the bike that the old vs new bike experience that you are doing to yourself will fade and you will see the 1000 in a different light.
There are plenty of rear set's and peg adaptor's online to lower the pegs, so have a look at that option.
I've found the that 'bad' bikes can grow on me given some time, and for you Ditch I hope the same.

Rob.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Disappointed in myself more that anything. Let the devil not the angel make the decision, just too old now to put all that handling to good use. Rather have something with longer legs as I suspected all along.
Ditch, it's really easy to replace the sprockets. I slapped an 18T (+1 over stock) up front and a 43T (-1 under stock) on the rear and it really made a difference in the highway legs. Less than 80 bucks from Revzilla.

Another nice side benefit to that sprocket combo (+1/-1) is that the overall distance between the sprockets doesn't change so I didn't need to touch the axle adjusters in the swingarm.

I'm running a 190/55 Roadsmart 3 tire which also noticeably improved the highway legs. So overall quite a substantial change in the final drive. I'm doing 4K rpm at 65 mph now, 5K rpm at 80. I can live with that all day long, much better than stock gearing.

First gear is somewhat taller but certainly not objectionably so (I commute so I deal with plenty of school zones and traffic lights, none of that's any problem). That said, I can do 90 mph in first gear. :)

I'm 65 years old and it's hard for me to imagine a more satisfying daily driver than this bike ('18 F model).

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sold it back to the dealer today, thank you guys for the kind words. Would have been the perfect bike in my 20's, but not anymore. Riding it back there confirmed my decision it's just for me. Thank you all for answered my endless questions and offering advice. If you love your bike, enjoy loving it! Finding the right one is not always easy.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Sold it back to the dealer today, thank you guys for the kind words. Would have been the perfect bike in my 20's, but not anymore. Riding it back there confirmed my decision it's just for me. Thank you all for answered my endless questions and offering advice. If you love your bike, enjoy loving it! Finding the right one is not always easy.
Hi Ditch,
Have you still your treasured Honda Hornet 900 to ride or did that go with the trade ?
Best of luck from us here at the GSX-S Forum, AND there's a bike for everyone out there.;)

Rob.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Ditch,
Have you still your treasured Honda Hornet 900 to ride or did that go with the trade ?
Best of luck from us here at the GSX-S Forum, AND there's a bike for everyone out there.;)

Rob.
I do have my 919! For some crazy reason I just love riding it more than anything else. It's simple and cheap and for some reason resonates with my personality. It's difficult for me to continually appreciate what I have but I'm trying, will probably go back to a Blackbird for longer distance if I can find one, they're getting old and waiting for one that's been taken care of would be worth it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts