GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
I picked up my new bike about a month ago (UK) and am really enjoying it. First service booked in for this Friday.
I previously bought an F in 2017, sold it for an MT09 but I've obviously got a soft spot for the GSXS !
I have 2 questions however.
Do the "Moto GP inspired winglets" actually do anything? My dealer doesn't know.
Regardless, I'm impressed by the level of wind protection, virtually zero buffeting of the head, the wind is on my shoulders and chest which is fine by me.
Secondly does anyone know if the new radiator is the same as the previous model (I can't remember) as I'm after a radiator guard and none of the manufacturers I've contacted will commit as it's such a new model.
Any info appreciated.
Cheers
Phil

·
Registered
2021(updated model) GSX-S1000
1,965 Posts
Excellent, at last I have a Pen pal. The Winglets do nothing other than spoil the looks of the bike in my opinion. The radiator is the same but its mounting points at the top are slightly different. I had an R&G rad guard on my old bike which I resprayed and fitted using cable ties through the top holes the bottom mount at the center is the same.
How do you like the riding position, bars, new seat, quick shiffter etc, and what do you think about "A" Mode.?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info dekker.
I'm not a fan of the wings, shame they can't be removed.
I'm 5'8" and 11.5 stone so softened the suspension and find it's OK now but obviously it's never going to be Ohlins standard.
Quickshifter and autoblipper work well as do the brakes but will probably put some HH pads in at some point. Riding position, comfort and bars again are all good in my opinion.
Personally I'm not a great fan of the camo look plastic.
Naturally the engine is the star of the show and I keep it in A mode all the time, absolutely awesome and makes me smile which is why we ride isn't it!!
To sum up it's built to a budget, has bits that I'm not so keen on but the pros outweigh the cons and for the money it's hard to beat.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Thanks for the info dekker.
I'm not a fan of the wings, shame they can't be removed.
I'm 5'8" and 11.5 stone so softened the suspension and find it's OK now but obviously it's never going to be Ohlins standard.
Quickshifter and autoblipper work well as do the brakes but will probably put some HH pads in at some point. Riding position, comfort and bars again are all good in my opinion.
Personally I'm not a great fan of the camo look plastic.
Naturally the engine is the star of the show and I keep it in A mode all the time, absolutely awesome and makes me smile which is why we ride isn't it!!
To sum up it's built to a budget, has bits that I'm not so keen on but the pros outweigh the cons and for the money it's hard to beat.
Seems we are about the same build I'm 1/2" shorter (28" inside leg) and 5lbs heavier.
Agree about the Camo I'm thinking of covering it with carbon look vinyl wrap. I already did the footrest hangers.

I also have the microscopic Suzuki screen which covers some of it up. Waiting for the "after market" guys to catch up.

I also ordered the Suzuki frame sliders but I was told last week that they have only just gone into manufacturing so will be a while yet.:rolleyes:
As you can see from my signature I swapped my Nitron shock in but I felt the OEM shock was a tad better than the previous one.
I have a Dynojet PCV not sure if it will fit this model, I'm waiting for them to publish a map.
HH pads are a must for me ordered them before I even got the bike.
Coincidence, I also looked at an MT09 SP before committing to this.
All the best with yours, stay safe.(y)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Once again that's all interesting stuff dekker, thanks.
Had the first service today, all good. I have the black version and it seems you only have to look at the tank and it scratches so the dealer has given me a tank protector free of charge lol.
As an experiment I removed the wings today but left all the other plastic in place. Looks a bit strange but I actually don't mind it, better than a pair of just for show wings!
You asked what I thought of the riding position. I'm now wondering if I would be better off with handlebar risers. Do you have any thoughts or suggestions?

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
The bars as you probably know are wider and more set back towards the rider than before and I find them OK so far.
I still have the risers from the old bike but at the moment not thinking about using them, maybe in the future?
How did you remove the wings - hacksaw? Or did you just take the whole thing off?
I tried to separate the silver panel from the black/camo part in order to vinyl wrap it but it's not possible.
A picture would be helpful.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Re the rad guard :

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll keep with the standard handlebar set up for now but may still consider risers. In case I go the riser route is there a make/supplier I should look for?
Regarding the wings. It's possible to remove them intact, just take every fastener you can find off. Took me 10 mins a side. I hope the photos work. If you have any problems I'll try to explain it better.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I'll keep with the standard handlebar set up for now but may still consider risers. In case I go the riser route is there a make/supplier I should look for?
Regarding the wings. It's possible to remove them intact, just take every fastener you can find off. Took me 10 mins a side. I hope the photos work. If you have any problems I'll try to explain it better.
Bar risers are SW-Motech they are available on ebay and elsewhere.
You have managed to do exactly what I want to do.
Now the problem I have with the wings is the toothed gripper at the bottom did you bend the teeth back or what? Could you show a pic of the inside of the part you removed please.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK thanks, I'll have a look on Ebay.
I simply prised the gripper off with a small flat headed screwdriver. They will go back on no problem should I replace the wings.
Picture of inside of removed wing.
I'd be interested to see how it looks if you decide to wrap the camo parts.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Ok thanks for that, I'll have a go. (y)

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I got it separated OK but the wrapping proved to be beyond my ability.
Maybe I'll learn to love it.
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Apologies for asking again as dekker has answered but I'm still unsure of exactly what bar risers I need.
Is it the whole clamp or a 20mm spacer that fits under the existing clamp? Any specific info will be much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
This.
White Font Material property Rectangle Design

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
It's a lot easier with a heat gun..
Like practice makes perfect.
YOU CAN DO IT!
I always use a heat gun but could not make it stretch to fit right.
If I try again sometime I'll do it on the bike as it was a bu**er to hold down.
Also I am short on skill and short on patience. :)

Reactions: My Name Is Jeff

·
Registered
727 Posts
I always use a heat gun but could not make it stretch to fit right.
If I try again sometime I'll do it on the bike as it was a bu**er to hold down.
Also I am short on skill and short on patience. :)
Don't worry the older I get the less patience Ive got also lol.
It's really hard to do if you haven't got some sort of support to hold the item.
Anyhow at least you had a go👍🏼

1 - 20 of 21 Posts