GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 467 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Post up here if you own the bike, pros/cons/experiences. Things you love, and things you want to change or did change. Anything you think future perspective owners may want to know or other riders. Post pics and sound off! I will post pics this week myself, I should have mine within a couple days. im still interested in everyones ownership thoughts though. Also, why not post how many miles per tank you've been averaging (also if its imperial or us mpg)

·
Registered
GSX-S750Z - GSX-S1000GT
16 Posts
I absolutely love the bike. Own it since thursday and will bring it to 1st service tomorrow. For now I cant tell about the cons as I am just excited and surprised by the bike. The power is really nice, QS is smooth, agility is great! Well, perhaps there is just a small con: its not that easy to mount the panniers, but I think I've just to get used to it.
Changed the slipon to Akrapovic which is great. I don't like the Dunlop tyres, will try the S22 next and move on to Continental Road Attack as soon as they're available.

·
Registered
GSX-S750Z - GSX-S1000GT
16 Posts
What is the issue with mounting the panniers?
It's just not that easy to mount them as they sit very very tight, well I guess thats how it should be... :D you really need to push the clamp on the bottom of the panniers onto the bracket. Its not just "click and go". Well I guess I will figure it out the more I use them :)

·
Registered
GSX-S750Z - GSX-S1000GT
16 Posts
Part of me is considering leaving them on all the time. Test it out see how I like it
Thats what I thought as well. I already used them more than I thought I would. I also think the bike is really good looking with the panniers on. I'm going for a 4k km tour through Italy next month, then I will need to un- and remount them at least once everyday for 20 days. Think I will figure that out then :D

·
Registered
517 Posts
Maybe they are too tight because they are new and after a while they will loosen up.

Why don't you buy some inner bags for the panniers? Then when you arrive at your motel, just bring those bags inside with you and leave the panniers on the bike. You could even leave your helmet in the pannier then.

·
Registered
GSX-S750Z - GSX-S1000GT
16 Posts
Maybe they are too tight because they are new and after a while they will loosen up.

Why don't you buy some inner bags for the panniers? Then when you arrive at your motel, just bring those bags inside with you and leave the panniers on the bike. You could even leave your helmet in the pannier then.
yeah I think so...

did it like that for the last years with the SW Motech Blaze Bags as they are a little bit more complicated to mount and unmount. But for now I like the idea of just unmounting the panniers and bring them in the Hotel. Will see what works best for us :)

·
Registered
GSX-S750Z - GSX-S1000GT
16 Posts
Pyro: How tall are you, and is your head in clear air with the stock windscreen?
I'm 1.83 and the touring shield is mounted, didnt try the basic shield yet.

Well when I sit in normal position the wind protection is okay and I wouldnt complain. It's not the best and by far not what was promised in all the excellent and exciting vids from the windcanal (perhaps if youre around 1.60-1.70 🤷‍♂️). Nevertheless it is (for sure) much much better as on the S750. Dont get me wrong, its comfortable and perfect as soon as you lean a bit forward and get in a more sporty position. But when you sit normal, it gets uncomfy as soon as you go for more than 150 km/h.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Some thoughts

very interested if someone makes interior bags for the panniers, I have Costco shopping insulated bags, I am thinking they will fit in them. Prob rock them for grocery trips. (I have no shame riding motorcycle 20 mins away for ice cream) the insulated bag should be fine

i want a tail tidy. I hate the stock one and I already bought turn signals, but until I get a tail tidy I’m not opening the turn signals to save myself extra work.

puig windshield in future is probably a given.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Extensive experience has taught me (I'm 5'10") that having my head in "clear" air is the only way to lessen wind noise/turbulence on any bike. I've gone with taller screens thinking that was the solution, only to be disappointed because the wind coming off the screen hits my helmet and is loud. A low screen allows my head to be in laminar air flow, which is relatively quiet. I'm hoping the low stock screen will allow me to be in that laminar flow.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Quietest bikes I ever rode were naked bikes with no windscreen at all. I'm 5'9" but not long wasted so my height is in my inseam at 32". Most windscreens do not bother me all that much. I'm hoping the Suzuki has my head more in the airstream than buffeting wind off a windscreen. I hate the look of their touring screen it just yells buffeting to me with the straight up profile it has. I think mine is ready for pick up today. No word from them but a person I am friends with that works there said he saw the PDI test ride early this morning on it. Even though I told them over and over no miles on it. They have honored that in the past with no issues not sure why it was seen this morning heading out. Hoping that was the ride from the back of the shop area to the delivery bay which is way up on the hill in front of the building. This place is huge so pushing a bike or wheeler not an option. They have a specified spot for picking up new bikes. I was going to ride it home but my wife has a doctors appointment which doesn't line up with when I can knock off work here today. So I guess I'll use my little Kendon dual trailer and fire up the Duramax truck and go get it that way. I have a trailer with the Pitbull setup on it and I have the correct pins for this bike already. The Pitbull setup uses no straps. But that trailer is way down behind my house on the property and I'd have to get the side by side buggy to get it the Duramax truck is to heavy to go back there off road. The Kendon is a stand up trailer and in my garage up against the wall by the truck

Real world problems.....

·
Registered
407 Posts
Test rides always make me nervous. I had a new 2014 BMW HP4...awesome bike. After the break-in service, the tech took it for a test ride. I saw him after, and he said the bike took him by surprise when he cranked the throttle wide open...wheelied and almost threw him off, he said. I'm thinking..."WTF?" Make a long story short...after that ride he took, the HP4 began using a quart of oil every 700 miles. Connection? Seems suggestive. I couldn't accuse him of doing anything that hurt the bike, but I couldn't live with that oil use...none of my S1000RR's ever used oil. Finally traded it, with an incentive from BMW due to the oil use. Ever since, I worry when someone (a tech) rides my bike.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Well I have not paid for the bike yet so I will see about it once I go get it. Which may not be today since no ones bothered to call me and inform me it is ready for pick up. I typically do not go chase anyone to give money away.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Well I have not paid for the bike yet so I will see about it once I go get it. Which may not be today since no ones bothered to call me and inform me it is ready for pick up. I typically do not go chase anyone to give money away.
I'm with you on that. THEY need your money...THEY can do some work to earn it. My experience so far with this Suzuki dealer is that they think they're doing YOU a favor. During this process, I got an email from the sales guy saying he'd call me to discuss the deposit/order. Told him I'd be home. That was 8 AM. He calls at almost 5 PM. I said something about being a little more responsive. His reply was that he was "in sales and went where the money is...", which I took to mean my deposit wasn't getting him a commission or whatever. I guess he hadn't yet figured out that being "in sales" means treating everyone the same, since you never know when someone's going to make a big purchase. The world today...

1 - 20 of 467 Posts