GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hi all, new here. Excuse the username... I registered in 2016 and was annoyed about the bike's unnecessarily long name even though I was interested. :ROFLMAO: Never posted until now though. I'm quoting here my initial post from earlier this week on another forum( I did see that Penguiny linked to that forum post here as well)...

Long post ahead. Skip to end if impatient.
:-)
:)
I've been quietly following this thread (and most all other media) since the bike (GT) was revealed, but I can be quiet no more...

To make a long story less long-
The description of what my perfect bike would be since I started street riding 'regularly' in 2007 (started in the 90's sporadically) has been a traditional sport tourer leaning toward sport... A powerful inline 4, nimble, comfortable, light-ish weight, medium sized, fully faired with easily removable integrated panniers, and very blue (the best color).
The Ninja 1000 is/has been fairly close since its inception- but I couldn't get past the insurance quotes (I previously had a ZX-10R which was a bit worse, but that was a ZX-friggin-10R!), and it always looked a wee bit 'off' to me.
When the 2016 GSX-S1000F came out my interest was piqued, but I couldn't get past its pointy tailed angry bird looks (which made the Ninja 1000 look like a beauty queen), or the snatchy throttle everyone harped on about (though lesser in the later years). I had said if they updated that bike and made it look good, kept it blue, and completely smoothed out the throttle... I'd own one.

Fast forward to 2021... I almost fell out of my chair when I found out about the GT shortly after its reveal.
:happay

I didn't run to my nearest dealer, though. I've never been one to risk preordering anything major and I was going through a major move anyway. To top it off, I found out that the right blue wouldn't be sold in the US, at least yet (although the "wrong" blue is still better than any other color). I figured I'd be patient and wait to see how the bike set with reviewers and owners, and to see if next model year would sport that beautiful bright blue. Many amazing reviews later, I was starting to wish I'd preordered!
And then, early two Saturday mornings ago, I checked Cycle Trader. I knew listings were probably for preordered bikes, but the Metallic Reflective Blue GT+ that caught my eye was pictured in a showroom, 3 hours away in West Virginia, and listed for well below MSRP. I was the ad's first view. Since I wanted to go for a ride anyway, that was enough to make me gear up, hop on my CBR650F hours before they even opened, and ride through questionable (wet) weather to at least see it, secretly hoping there might be a chance I could snag one of these immediately for less than MSRP.
So much for patience.
:jack

Indeed it was a preorder, but they hadn't contacted the guy yet as they were waiting for info on the missing panniers first (sound familiar?). They said he put nothing down and it was originally promised to him in February so he might have lost interest. I checked it out (quietly fawning over the thing), tried it on for size, and asked them to call me if he had changed his mind.

I got the call on Tuesday. Suzuki had given him too much time. He didn't want it anymore, and it was mine if I wanted it... for the advertised price!

Sold!

My wife drove me up there this past Saturday, deal was done, and despite a forecast high of 97 degrees with stifling humidity, I rode it back 165 miles in full gear (all the time!), even hitting stop-and-go traffic. I was on fire, but it was worth it.
:super
Not disappointed... best bike ever!
I'm still waiting on the panniers, but I'll get to that, and my impressions, in a future post.

If you made it all the way through that, cheers.
:beer

If not, that's cool too. You're welcome to simply admire the pic with the pretty new bike in it.
:tb

Here's VIN 00058 (looking exactly like all the other dark blue GT's without panniers, heh).

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
154 Posts
Sure. I was getting ready to copy over that post as well...

After I had done the deal for the bike, I ordered the factory heated grips and the touring windscreen to hopefully extend my riding season further into the cold. I was told that when the panniers come in as well, I could set up a time to take the bike back up to them and they'd install those, the grips, and do the first service all in one go. I had the same idea, so I agreed, and bid them farewell.

Shortly thereafter I was sitting in the parking lot on my sparkling new beast, all suited up and ready to roll out into the oncoming fires of hades. I thumbed the starter and it lit up with a throaty bass note that called to my primal instincts. After a devious grin formed, I let out the clutch... and immediately stalled it.

:rofl

I repeated the embarrassment a couple more times before I realized that they had the clutch adjusted right off the grip, with a lot of free play at the end. After an eye roll and a few dozen spins of the adjuster later, I was good to go.

As I turned onto the street and straightened the bar to head off on my new journey, it took all of 50 feet to realize I had truly found the bike of my dreams. Cruising further along the gently flowing curves of Route 50 only compounded that initial feeling, and merging onto the highway with an ease of confidence and rock solid stability confirmed it. This bike is good. And I haven't even let that legendary mill sing its full song.

The rest of the ride home consisted of mostly highway, varying speeds and gears, playing too much with features and settings (though never near other traffic), and being amused that I could wave to motorcycles I was passing on the left using my right hand after setting cruise. Well, that is until I reached the city right near the hottest part of the day. The temps and humidity had been creeping ever higher since I left and it was bearable at 60 mph and up, but stop-and-go hit and I started cooking. Once traffic finally started moving again albeit still heavy, I was able to filter through with ease to keep the speed up a bit. I reached the other side of the city where it opened back up a little so I decided to take a short but twisty back road the rest of the way home, not leaning too far yet, but further proving that this bike is perfectly at home doing just about anything you want it to on the street.

I now stand at 324 miles after taking a (much cooler) ~95 mile ride Sunday morning and commuting ~60 miles Monday. No problems, only smiles!

While I can count the number of bikes I've ridden on only four hands, none of them until now have come anywhere close to putting me in the perfect sweet spot between comfort and performance, refinement and aggression, serenity and excitement.

Is it absolutely perfect in every way? Nope... My butt was a bit achy after the 3 hour ride (though not too bad), the MySpin thing seems to be overly complicated, both headlights should stay on (symmetry is next to godliness), and it could stand to look a bit less busy and a bit more blue (couldn't everything?). However, for me it's 95% of what I could realistically ever want in a motorcycle. It's an absolute dream, and I hope I have many good years with it, and I hope that all of you do with yours as well.
:beer

·
Registered
154 Posts
To more technical points...
I feel like the tires are good. The profile seems to strike a great balance between agility and stability, though the suspension and geometry certainly matter there, too. I've been slowly leaning on the tires more and more, and they seem to be gripping fine. I don't really ride hard enough to find fault with them (at least yet) like others do, i guess.

The brakes do feel a bit lacking in bite, but so far I haven't found them to be a problem. That may or may not change once I start pushing the bike more after break in.

At 5'8" with a long-ish torso, at 75mph my helmet is in the airstream but neck and below aren't. No buffeting, though I do notice that if I stand up off the seat by at least 4 more inches or so to be in completely undisturbed air, the air is a bit quieter, but not much. If I duck down a couple inches I get a bit more buffeting. It works for me.

As mentioned, my bony butt ached a bit after 3 hours in the saddle, but nothing like ZX-10R levels of ache. I'm hoping this seat will break in nicely.
For the first time in a long time, my neck and shoulders felt just fine after the long ride. My knees didn't hurt at all despite getting regular knee pains in recent years (not quite a spring chicken anymore). So overall, ergos are great for me. If the seat breaks in I feel like I could ride it all day with a few short breaks. It's awesome!

·
Registered
154 Posts
I notice a slight buzz on the highway (65-85 mph range) but it's not as bad as some other bikes I've had. I was completely fine for most of 3 hours that way. Some may be more sensitive to it I suppose.

·
Registered
154 Posts
It has what I would consider to be mild vibes above 5k, but they don't bother me, even after hours of riding (I've definitely had worse). Everyone's sensitivity to it is different and the bikes themselves may be different so everyone will give different responses.
While I am not so sensitive to that, I am a lot more sensitive to other things that others aren't so I can understand the issue.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Everyone says vibes go away with some mileage but I've never experienced that and I don't see how it's possible. The vibes come from the inherent imbalances in the design:

Each example of the same engine can be slightly better or worse depending on manufacturing tolerances in component weight and initial balancing, but the inherent imbalance is always there, and it's something that can't go away with mileage. Perhaps one just gets used to it? Or maybe there's something I've been missing.

If you want a really smooth engine, get an inline 6 (or a properly designed V12). They have perfect primary and secondary balance. Too bad an I6 is such a wide (or long) configuration for a motorcycle, because they can sound epic at high revs as well (see Honda CBX 1050).
If someone made a modern I6 of, say, 750cc and made it as narrow as possible to fit in a bike the width of, say, a GSX-S1000GT, and then set it up to rev to, say, 15000 rpm, I'd then be forced to buy it and add an aftermarket exhaust, and I do believe I'd then have to change my undershorts every time I hit redline.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Looking good!
For once I'm not going to do a fender eliminator because the fender looks proper to me with the panniers, which I'll usually be riding with anyway (if they ever come in!).

The Honda absolutely needed a fender eliminator though... the thing stuck out ridiculously far because of the short-ish tail. That one looks 1000% better now.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Both bikes, same dyno, same day? I've seen dynos comparing the F to the GT, but I still can't find any comparing the '22 naked vs the GT.
If it isn't the same dyno in the same conditions, it doesn't mean much. Even one bike vs another of the exact same bike can be different (though admittedly 150 vs 136 might be pushing it, if all else equal).

I'd like to see something listing the physical differences, if any.

·
Registered
154 Posts
5'8" FTW! (me too, same sentiments about the wind) 🤣
If on a normal quick ride I rest the ball of my foot on the pegs. If an hour or longer I end up changing positions occasionally because it keeps the comfort level up. It's been that way with all my bikes (all feet-under-butt style bikes).

·
Registered
154 Posts
With regards to the '22 naked vs GT engines, I went back and watched again this interview with a Suzuki GB rep, who when asked about engine differences, says it's the same between the two (at about the 4:10 mark):

P.S. DAYUM i want that blue. 😭

·
Registered
154 Posts
<Username changed> (formerly Gixxuslooof)
I'm going to try to put 150 miles on my bike within a few hours tomorrow morning so I can get the first service done right after (locally). It's actually cheaper here in the DC area than it is at the dealer in WV, which surprised me, and I'm resigning myself to the fact that my panniers may not show up for quite some time, so I'm probably just going to have them ship them to me when they arrive, along with the touring windscreen and the heated grips (all shipped for free).

·
Registered
154 Posts
I gave it its first bath, mostly because the factory chain wax overspray was the worst I've ever seen! It has bothered me fiercely since I first saw the bike. It took me hours to get it off of everything (and wash/dry the rest of the bike as well). It was worst on the wheel and tire but it was also on just about everything else back there.
I feel sooooo much better now.

Before:

Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire Crankset

After:

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Tread

·
Registered
154 Posts
I rode 170 miles this morning just to hit the first service mileage. After a fuel stop, there was a loud tapping from the engine for a few seconds.
:oops:
It went away quickly and didn't come back. Wondering if that was the cam chain tensioner since Roy said his was doing that. I dunno but hopefully it never comes back. Time will tell I guess.

I got to the dealer 30 minutes early to be first in line (first come first serve... good thing I did, they got slammed!). Everything checked out, and still no more tapping.

Lots of people asking about the bike and complimenting it.

Look at my odometer as I pulled in the driveway. :ROFLMAO:

Trip computer Speedometer Motor vehicle Odometer Gauge

1 - 20 of 46 Posts